Richard's Academy/Airfix Hellcat for Simon

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are some updates for today...

I have stuck on the fuel caps and the circular bolted access points to the new positions. Notice that I have reversed the latch on the right fuel cap for right handed gripping.

H21.jpg

The rear deck hatch has been corrected with sheet styrene. I shaved off the hinges and re-used them. Also I made the grab handle from copper wire, positioned a latch handle to the right and added three bolts at the bottom. I also replaced the bolts on either side of the hatch to match.

H22.jpg

I have measured and cut screen that I will be using to replace the incorrect mesh. The frame work will be made out of foil from a Tamiya putty tube that I saved.

H23.jpg

Hope I get to do more tomorrow.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
OOOOOH, Richard is going 1/35 this time. I bet your eyes are happier than a pig in a poke. Like you, I only got 2 of Shep's books too. Never saw the one on figures, The dio book is one of my favorites. Have fun with the surgery and scratchy Sir.

I'll be behind the bar, as usual...........

Prost
Allen
Allen... you just missed an update.
Yup, slightly better for the eyes and good thing it's a tank so I can go crude. All I can remember of the figure book is a Napoleonic figure on a horse at a gallop. Would one day like to get my hands on a copy. I'm already enjoying the larger pieces.

Bar is the safest place when there's a food fight. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Oh Richard,

I forgot to ask...Do you have any of those cute little umbrellas to put in the exotic cocktails I make??? BTW, I can duck pretty fast for my age when things start flying around!

Prost with a MaiTai in my hand
Allen

PS, Nice scratchy on your butt...

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm not sharing the plum sauce with anybody, even Rick ( Sorry buddy ) so there will be no hurling.
Up date look good Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys, nobody's missing the boat...it always doesn't depart on time.
I see you fellas are behaving...might it be because of a Chinese cook standing at the kitchen door holding his cleaver and wok?
Allen, little umbrellas in the drawer below the counter next to the extinguisher...kindly not use that, it's not soda. Butt is a little itchy.
It will be fun seeing John trying to pick up rice with Lee's pair of chopsticks.
So far luck is always appreciated to finish a build.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just watched First of The Few...my I'd like to do another Spit after this Hellcat.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Some rather lovely work going on as Sergeant Wilson would say.Good old Shep Paine,Got his books when i first got into afvs aged 14.Nice bit of Nostalgia.
Rich

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Cracking work so far Richard
Ian, I am rather enjoying it thanks to Simon.

Nice work on the rear and fuel caps. Keep up the great work my friend.
You like my rear end do you Steve...what will SWMBO think of you. :smiling6:

To the untrained eye, that looks very nice OOB.
That's the problem Collin, if you do a good enough job no one's going to notice the replacement. :tongue-out2:

Some rather lovely work going on as Sergeant Wilson would say.Good old Shep Paine,Got his books when i first got into afvs aged 14.Nice bit of Nostalgia.
Rich
Yes Richard, Shep had been an inspiration for most of us when we got started in the hobby.

Only update I have is in the OR getting an Open Bum Surgery...

H24.jpg

Blood pressure dropping and heart stopped a few time and had to shock it with the paddles. Hope the patient pulls through.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is a nifty bit of work. So you "chain drilled" it and then cut out the centers? Doesn't appear to be much clean up required. Well done Richard.
Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick, yes that's the way I do most of my cut outs. Then I clean it with files.

I had done some updates yesterday but was too sleepy to post so here they are...

The patient pulled through the open bum surgery so it's left to be stitched up...but before that plastic surgeon deepened the edges of the frame and supports to take the added thickness of the new mash and frame.

H25.jpg

Placing the mesh and frame to see if it measures well...

H26.jpg

Got it glued on with some minor mishaps that turned out looking like battle damage.

H27.jpg

Sprayed Nato Black as a primer...need to drill out some areas in the mesh where the CA has covered.

H28.jpg

Not too happy but at least it's the mesh is vertical and horizontal instead of diagonal.

I won't be touching the grill near the turret ring as the rear turret bustle overhang covers it.
I'll move onto the little stuff that need correction on the turret now.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That looks fine. It is almost impossible to avoid at least one mesh hole filled with CA - well I always do anyway :rolling:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, if it looks fine then I'm leaving it as is. I had the gel CA but was stubborn not to use it. That would have lessen the chances of the glue filling up the mesh.

Cheers,
Richard