Richard's Dragon 1/72 He 219 A-0 UHU Night Fighter

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Richard, never tried re scribing so hoping to see how you do it! Cheeky i know

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hiya Richard,

That cockpit looks very nice but I’m Seriously blown away with those homemade seatbelts:thumb2::smiling4:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice belts Richard. I hope the landing gear is strong!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks fellas, John, Bob, Si and Joe...

I wear a pair of Caterpillars John :smiling6:
Bob for you I will try a SBS
Si, I have some laser cut belts and since they need to be put together why not cut some paper and try it out. All you need it is tweezers, steel ruler, sharp tipped blade and a good pair of eyes for scale. And of course you need to put aside some accuracies. :smiling2:
I hope the landing gear is strong too Joe :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, did a bit today gluing the fuselage, underbelly pack and gun ports, tailplane and the wedge or spacer at the back of the cockpit.

The wedge or spacer was kind of undersized and created a noticeable step for the canopy and fuselage top. For the canopy to fit snugly I had to sand down the front hood slant.

U11.jpg

The extra plastic strip shims helped elevate the spacer to reduce the step and gap.

U12.jpg

Once the glue has hardened I'll slice off the extra plastic, apply a bit of filler and sand smooth.

U13.jpg

Some shims were used too for the other joints in the belly and tail assembly. I have yet to attach the bullet proof windshield above the dash board to see if it fits with the canopy on. The distortion from the canopy makes the interior look a little better. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Cockpit looks great. Very nicely done seatbelts. There seem to be a few fit problems but nothing you can't correct.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, homemade always has that different satisfaction. Was expecting minor fit problems for one of Dragons early kits but coming along fine. Have puttied now waiting to put on the second layer.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok for Bob...let me introduce you to my new scriber aptly named...

U14.jpg

It cuts very fine which means a few repeat runs to get the right depth and thickness of the groove. Besides this I also use an etch saw. For this particular scribing process of lines not joining where they're supposed to, its good to decide which half of the lines need filling and rescribing.

U15.jpg

I like to add liberal layers of putty and let them cure for a day or two. This lessens the refilling of shrunk putty.

U16.jpg

Everything that looks like a seam line was puttied.

U17.jpg

Next to sand when fully cured.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work on sorting those panel lines.
I like the look of the UHU. I have been tempted a few times...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking really nice Richard. That's some serious lead work going on there. Last time I dealt with a tail sitter (Gannet) I ran out of space for the lead in all the conventional spaces so ended up using the forward edge of the wings. I'm still waiting for the nose wheel to collapse !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen, scribing needs a bit of planning and so is the storage of lead weights. :smiling2:

I have dry sanded the panels and joints and refilled parts that needed extra putty and re-sanded. Once happy I'll go over with wet sanding in finer grit.

U18.jpg

You can see the panels that were sealed over and just make out the ones filled with the sanded dust, a brush will help dig them out. I will now use them as guides to scribe the opposite side.

Below you will notice after dry fitting that it won't be a tail sitter...mission accomplished.

U19.jpg

So now it's up to the undercarriage strength...fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just found this, neat looking office and seatbelts Richard.
Good job with the weights too :thumb2: .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Filling looks good. I have always tended to fill and smooth before the putty dried and as you say that risks the putty drying slightly sunken. That results in another filling. Your idea of filling proud sound like a good idea :thumb2:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you had all that lead in it round here some one would nick it Richard !
Are you fitting a steel undercarriage !:flushed::smiling3:
Do feel sorry for the poor guy in the back sitting that way round, must have been an uncanny feeling.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Fernando, Jim and John, thanks for the comments.

Just found this, neat looking office and seatbelts Richard.
Good job with the weights too :thumb2: .
It's ok if you've just joined in. Good to have you along.

Hi Richard
Filling looks good. I have always tended to fill and smooth before the putty dried and as you say that risks the putty drying slightly sunken. That results in another filling. Your idea of filling proud sound like a good idea :thumb2:
Jim
I used to do the same of smoothening the putty when filling but saw some other guys just plonking heavy and found that it was practical. You still have to apply in layers but it's quicker.

If you had all that lead in it round here some one would nick it Richard !
Are you fitting a steel undercarriage !:flushed::smiling3:
Do feel sorry for the poor guy in the back sitting that way round, must have been an uncanny feeling.
It's lead free here so no worries. They'll be plastic all the way. The back guy gets a round stool seat, I guess he can turn it around if he felt uneasy.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Scribing this time was done with the etch saw on the main panels....since it was straight across from the existing line.

U20.jpg

The other panels were done with MAD.

U21.jpg

Wing leading edges will need a liitle putty as the glue didn't quite ooze out leaving a seam line.

U22.jpg

This is coming along quite fast. Soon I'll be fitting the wings to the fuselage and dipping the canopy into Future.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looks as if the scribing has worked well. Is that that Dymo tape, used to give a firm scribing line?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, yes it is. Surprising the stationery shops still stock these archaic labelling system. I have had my roll for years now. Perhaps the older shops still have left over stock. I find removing the backing film to expose the adhesive very annoying but works just fine because of its rigidity...doesn't bend at the edge and size...not too broad.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

I washed the canopy in detergent, dried it off and dipped it in Future and let the excess get soaked up on the tissue. All fine scratches disappeared and it was gleaming.

U23.jpg

Put on the front wheel undercarriage and confirmed it won't sit on its butt no mater how much I pressed the tail down. She weighs a ton though. :smiling6:

U24.jpg

Now its cleaning up the wheels and putting the propellers together...the blades are all separate.

Cheers,
Richard