Richard's Dragon 1/72 He 219 A-0 UHU Night Fighter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Masking looks neat. Takes ages and not a pleasant task. Do you mask over the line and then cut to the line with a sharp scalpel? That is a way I have heard of. I tend to try to cut the tape to fit which is not always possible. I do have some of that Tamiya tape for curves. Have you tried it?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I try as much not to go over the line. I normally do two more than half lengths and start at both ends meeting in the middle. Haven't tried the curve tape yet. Some of the guys in my build group have used it...must ask them to let me try some.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok, this is my painting process for canopies. I start with the first layer which will be the inner frame color, then primer and then the body color.

U30.jpg

I was doing both the Uhu and F-18 canopies in tandem. The Uhu had an inner frame shade of RLM grey mixed with a bit of black and the F-18 had a satin coat of black.

U31.jpg

Primer on and waiting for the body color next. I layered the primer until it blended with the rest of the aircraft. I would spot primer over puttyied areas first before a final coat.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I've also worked on the wheels. Painted base with nato black then the edges with a mixture of medium grey and earth then the rims using a Faber Castell circle template as a mask gloss black.

U32.jpg

Wanna guess which is the cast wheel? :smiling2:

So the all black rims isn't a new design on cars these days...Uhu 219 spotted them first. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Thanks for the masking info. Clever idea for the inner frame colour. Something I've not considered.
Jim

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, you're welcome, I won't take credit for this method as it's been used by many. Surprised you've not come across this method...this is one of the ways we get away with painting the numerous Panzer IV wheels and airplane wheels. :smiling6: Perhaps it's been taken for granted that everyone knows it and not mentioned the method.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Jim, you're welcome, I won't take credit for this method as it's been used by many. Surprised you've not come across this method...this is one of the ways we get away with painting the numerous Panzer IV wheels and airplane wheels. :smiling6: Perhaps it's been taken for granted that everyone knows it and not mentioned the method.

Cheers,
Richard
Well done Richard. Lookign very good. I came across the wheel technique in a Vallejo book. I have the template but haven't given it a try yet.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andrew, you should try it sometime. Try and get templates of both Metric and Imperial as that will give you more choices of circles to fit.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Andrew, you should try it sometime. Try and get templates of both Metric and Imperial as that will give you more choices of circles to fit.

Cheers,
Richard

I actually bought a template last year when I saw it. It's so simple is at the level of genius. I need to go back though and make sure it's both standards though....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Progress has been a bit slow. Have picked up another abandoned kitten so time is spent getting it to the vet for vaccinations and check ups.
I did manage a bit of bench time...

Time was actually spent on blocking the vents on the wing leading edges with putty and deepening the entry. I had forgotten to paint the interior of these vents as far back as the end of the wing so plastic could be seen through these vents when light shone through the thin plastic. I repainted the vent interior black.

U33.jpg

I have highlighted the undercarriage and fitted the wheels before they got gobbled up again. Painted and masked the props and given a base coat to the exhausts.

Cheers,
Richard

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Really impressed with this build Richard :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin

Cheers,
Richard
Or if, like me you also work on old cars, you will have a great collection of washers. Nice heavy (ish) metal washers which stay put even with an AB firing at it.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Really impressed with this build Richard :smiling3:
Thanks Allan...not going to town with this build but it has its moments of challenge and animal intrusion. :smiling2:

Or if, like me you also work on old cars, you will have a great collection of washers. Nice heavy (ish) metal washers which stay put even with an AB firing at it.
Colin, yes washers are good as well, the hole in the center permits the hub nut to peep through and only needs tape to cover it. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today I have managed some bench time to work on the radar antenna. They're a mixture of plastic and etched metal. They give two types of arrangement...I chose this which looks like the Predators mouth... :tears-of-joy:

U34.jpg

Care has to be taken with the etch for the middle assembly as they require twisting after bending. I broke one off and stuck it back with cyno. Should have annealed it so its more plyable.

U35.jpg

Just stuck on the left array of main antenna. I have already masked off the undercarriage. Will finish of the primming. Itching for paint on.

Cheers,
Richard

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice radar array, but I can just see many bits of PE stuck to my clothes. I'm lucky like that.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Colin funny you should say PE stuck on clothes...no sooner as I read it the top radar went missing stuck to my cats fur...found it outside the doorway. :smiling6:

More masking...white glue for the wing tip lights...I drilled out the part to paint in the bulbs...

U36.jpg

And masking tape for the rest.

U37.jpg

U38.jpg

U39.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Richard, like the antenna job

Mine is on hold as i sure need more plane practice lol

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys,

Bob, hope to see you restart on your Uhu after the practice.

Cheers,
Richard