Richard's Dragon 1/72 He 219 A-0 UHU Night Fighter

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Richard, yes will deffo get back to it but need to get my plane skills vastly improved!!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Bob, it will come with the practise that you are doing. :thumb2:

I have made some progress and decided to kill two birds with one stone. I primed both the Uhu and Hornet at the same time. But first some shots of the finished antenna array...

U42.jpg

Mr Surfacer 1200 was diluted to its thinnest and sprayed with a few coats.

U40.jpgU41.jpg

The thin coat doesn't clogge up the panel lines even the thin rescribed ones.

U43.jpg

The propeller hubs were also coated with primer.

U44.jpg

I will have to mix up a batch of light blue for the base coat but until then pre-shade of thinned black will be sprayed on to essentuate the panels and streaks. I hope I will meet the deadline which is just 5 days away.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Last night at the LHS night group build I worked on the pre-shading together with the F-18. The airbrush didn't give as thin a line as I wanted but I went with it anyway...

U45.jpg

I coated the antennas with the access black remaining in the paintcup. This would make hand painting it later much easier by touching up overspray of the lightblue base color to be applied later.

U46.jpg

I darkened the back of the engine nacelle vents which were molded in the open configuration. There's no closed option. Areas around the exhaust attachments were darkened as well. Tissue masking is evident in the wheel wells.

U47.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
The Owl is definitely going in the right direction. What a nice preshade ^^

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Fellas...W'uhu I'm off to add the base color and cut out masks for the camo. Not doing free hand with it. This will test my patience. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Richard, look forward to seeing the main coats on it

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Joe, thanks...don't need to wait long, just did my first pass of the base color. The underside is ok but the top needs at least another coat for the light blue to show and tone down the pre-shade.

U48.jpg

Against the blue background the light blue doesn't show. As you can see the pre-shade is still a little strong for the top.

U49.jpg

I removed the masks from the wheels and the engine nacelle confident that the next coat won't affect these areas.

U50.jpg

I have found a way to cut the masks for the camo using a drill bit. Will show how its done next.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie,

I started with the mask by scanning the instruction sheet and enlarging the image to fit the measurements I took of the kit on the computer with Illustrat. Then got it printed.

U51.jpg

I got started with the milling but haven't got a shot of it yet. It's taking quite a while. I probably will have to hold it against a light to see the cut outs.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat start at the paintwork Richard:thumb2:. Nice idea too of cutting out a print of the instructions, I just freehand it:smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
They say there is nothing new and then you pop up with the drill bit camo mask :smiling:
Jim

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Interesting method for the mottle, will watch with interest. Could be a stroke of genius Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, the idea may seem practical but it sure took a long time. In hindsight I would glue the paper to a thicker card as the paper was too light and flipped with the opposite direction of the burr so I improvised with a stabbing motion. The result below...

U52.jpg

I will cut along the wingroots to fit the mask to the wings. To give the slight soft edge i will place tiny spacers in between the paper and surface using Blu-tac. I created extra mottle for the sides of the fuselage. On the kit fuselage I have masked off any areas to stop any over sprays. Before that I will spray a varnish protective coating to the paper mask. This will be great if I had a squadron of Uhus but this is a one off. Next...moment of truth...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here is the outcome with just a test for the wings and tail. I will do the body next...

U53.jpg

I haven't done the cowling which was cut out separately.

U54.jpg

The mask helps to keep the mottling to scale.

With the weathering and lined panels and oil stains next I can decal it and it will be a step closer to finishing.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's the next batch with the fuselage mottled...it's slightly darker having mixed a new batch of paint...

U55.jpgU56.jpg

Some paint crept past the canopy masking near the top and back which was promptly dispatched with polishing compound. The antennas have been painted black or sort of touched up.

U57.jpg

Cowlings next.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That looks to have been a success. A lot of work but the results are worth it. I suppose brush painting the mottles could work but this gives a less sharp edge and also is less stark.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, thankgoodness it did. I was thinking of brush painting but I wouldn't have gotten the subtle soft edge and at that scale will leave brush marks and thicker layer of paint as evident on the spot I touched up at bottom picture next to the cowling.

Cheers,
Richard