Richard's Dragon 1/72 He 219 A-0 UHU Night Fighter

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you guys Wouter, Peter and Fernando...I would have had a red face had it not worked...phew :smiling6: And thanks for looking in and dropping a comment.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice masking technique for the camo, looks very nice :thumb2:

The photos look scary yes :smiling6:
Are you mixing the panel line wash yourself or what kind of product are you using?

Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice masking technique for the camo, looks very nice :thumb2:

The photos look scary yes :smiling6:
Are you mixing the panel line wash yourself or what kind of product are you using?

Cheers, Steven
Thanks Steve, it does doesn't it...my own mix of watercolor and detergent. Here it is with a bit of clean up using a damp rag.

U60.jpg

Will use a cutip to drag streaks while its still damp.

U61.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow, Richard that looked like you'd had a turn when I first saw the photo.
That mix certainly produces the effect, and an interesting combination.

Love the TV aerials on the nose :nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys...I used to use oils but I wanted a medium that I could leave on and wash off easily. There are all types of mottling and I'm glad I decided on this with the made template. Washes on planes can be scary at first sight but with patience it will turn out the way it was planned.

Managed to watch some iffy programs with those TV aerials John. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Steve, it does doesn't it...my own mix of watercolor and detergent. Here it is with a bit of clean up using a damp rag.

View attachment 363324

Will use a cutip to drag streaks while its still damp.

View attachment 363325

Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard

Firstly loving the work so far. Very nice indeed. Also thanks for the tip on the wash and the use of washing up liquid.

ATB

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Washes on planes can be scary at first sight
Certainly scared me - thought he's had a fit and ruined it!! :rolling:
All right in the end though :thumb2:
Looks a far better method than using a very fine brush to wick dilute oil/enamel into the panel lines.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Glad you like it and you're welcome Andrew.

Jim, I'm a lazy man...anything for an easy finish. The fine brush still works for touch ups later in the weathering.

Have set aside the Uhu for now to concentrate on the F-18.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, you fellas must be wondering what happened to this project well, you'll not believe it. The last time my cats ran off with my tyres, now I got that fixed then the hammer blow...they ran off with one of my propellers.

So I finally sat down yesterday to cast another. In the end I made two with the help of the remaining propeller as the master...

U62.jpg

Filled any bubbles and edges with two part putty and waiting for them to harden before sanding. What you see here have been primed to check for bubbles. You will notice breathing holes at the tips of the propeller blades on the mold. This made sure the resin got into each blade. I used a syringe to force the resin in.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
That panel line wash has worked well. Watercolour and detergent you said - being a pest but how is it done?
Naughty puss! Casting has worked well. Is that normal rubber you have used for the mould?
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice job on the propellers! I wonder what part they'll take next time, better cover the model with a plastic box or something :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
That panel line wash has worked well. Watercolour and detergent you said - being a pest but how is it done?
Naughty puss! Casting has worked well. Is that normal rubber you have used for the mould?
Jim
Thanks Jim, the cats are a pest not you. Anyway the wash is just adding a drop of dish washing detergent into the water color mixed with water of course. This breaks the surface tension so the water color spreads and sticks to the surface rather than puddling up. The rubber is basically a two part mix of silicon rubber and hardener. Sets pretty fast so I need to look for one that takes a bit longer to set. The resin I used this time also sets quickly in about 15mins but I think its faster than that, by the fifth minute it starts coagulating so I had to work like the Flash.

Nice job on the propellers! I wonder what part they'll take next time, better cover the model with a plastic box or something :thumb2:
The room is off limits now and a sign put up to have the door closed at all times now Steven. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Richard
The rubber I have is quite slow to cure. Stays liquid for long enough for any bubble to rise and pop. The resin is a 50/50 mix that goes off in minutes. I must try that panel line idea. Certainly very effective. The oil I use is slow to dry and so the process takes longer. Also the white spirit I use for clean up smells!
Thanks again
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes Jim, I've stopped using the oil method too because of the drying times and the fear of the stains remaining even after the turp clean up. Not too worried about the smell as here in the tropics windows are always open.

Cheers,
Richard