Richards Dragon Donkey Modification

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, now animals get to have a section of their own.

Incidently I am modifying a donkey from the Dragon Fallschirmjager set. It was quite stiff looking and wanted it to look as if it was forced to move forward. Also I was going to burden it with a heavy load.

It starts out like this...with the one on the left with neck down...

364408.jpg

I cut the neck at two points, positioned the head upward and filled the spaces with plastic scrap.

367006.jpg366635.jpg

Checking with a figure that will eventually be a Bedouin was correct, I proceed to putty and sculpt.

366636.jpg

I searched for an appropriate picture to reference a defiant cheeky donkey and arrived with this which meant a major surgery on the snout and lower lip which I cut at the mouth and a wedge across the top of the snout just behind the nostril...

tubasmiling.jpg

The empty space where the teeth is was built up with putty and sculpted.

367006a.jpg

The neck around the jaw needed wittling down and the putty cleaned up and shaved down.

367006b.jpg

His left cheek looks better than his right.

367006c.jpg

Latest I've done is to add the load...these are the basics, fine accessories like water bags and rifles will be added.

367006d.jpg

Notice that the neck has been defined and there is a pronounced jaw line.

367006e.jpg More to come later.

I might feature a post of localising kit dogs for my village rest area when time permits.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ian , Christian, Dave and Ralph for actually watching a donkey making faces. :smiling6: Sincerely thanks. I may have to add texture to the body of the donkey with Mr Surfacer as they're hairy.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Richard.
Think the scratchery on the neck is superb.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks both of you...I'll leave the Bedouin to wrestle with the donkey while I show some dogs in another post...

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Richard, Small suggestion if you please. I did a quick study of the prototype photo and the model and it appears to me that the ears on the former are a noticeable bit longer than those portrayed on the model.
Otherwise, I think you've captured the "cheeky donkey look extremely well.:smiling5:
Cheers Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Rick, you're right about the ears...someone else mentioned it while I was doing the modifications. I might just extend it with putty since its the second time someone has pointed it out. The present ears would fit a horse. The funny thing was when I asked some friends about donkey references, one pointed to the donkey in Shrek...hhmmm perhaps a future build. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, the donkey ears have grown a lot these past 2 years and may need cutting back a little. As it is I've made them look like they are flopping with the wind. Also they are kind of thick and will need parring down plus the inside of the ear needs grooving or carving out.

N10.jpgN11.jpgN12.jpg

Starting to look pig like. :smiling6:

N13.jpg

The load still needs some water bottles and an old rifle. Perhaps a French Colonial make or one of those Afghan type long muskets.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The load is looking great Richard, as is the pose of the neddy. Unfortunately I think the ears are a bit too “bugs bunny” at the moment.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yup, going to tone it down a little. I was doing it without referring to images. Will make sure I have them in front of me when I carve.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Richard,
amazing work with the donkey - I remember making the 1/35 Italeri Breda 20 - with servants and horse ( although it looked more like a mule to me ). Yes- a horse drawn AA gun! Can't find any pictures of it made up, but the sprue shots give the impression
italeri breda.jpg
I often wondered if that would be useful in a conversion. Sadly, I think the model may be discontinued, but it may be worth a search......................
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Well this is a blast from the past. Donkey is looking great with his load. Agree the ears need a trim.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just a wee bit Richard..........unless of course you are going for the "Mule" look ;) Rick H.