Richard's humble Humber by Bronco, 1/35.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi all , after all that selecting I've decided on the Humber Scout car Normandy version with the twin Vickers for the Recon GB. 3 months to build it so very unlikely it will be overly detailed. Perhaps an OOB with some tidying up.

H1.jpg

I'll start as soon as I finish my UHU He219.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7237

Nice choice, can't remember if I've seen one of these built before.Will drop in and take a look when you get going.
Pete.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great choice Richard. Can't go to far wrong with a Bronco. Good luck

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow, Gentlemen...looks like I made the right choice and sprue shots are probably the next to post once I break out the box not since the last time I opened it four years back.

Leave your shoes at the door when you come in, pull up a chair but if you like there are large cushions and bean bags. Pulled tea(Teh Tarik), Curry Puffs and Nonya Kuih will be served.

Let me get organised and we'll start soon.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, while I was waiting for the He219 bit parts assembled to cure, I snapped some shots of the sprue...

Every sprue tree including the individual parts were sealed just like the wheels. Wheels came in two types of threads and are rubber...
The Humber is an odd shaped vehical with the body not exactly symetrical and the parts aren't reconizeable so I'll need the destruction sheet in putting it together.

H2.jpg

The parts sprue with the ordnance also comes as a separate set as I have one. Oh dear there is PE and there is no numbering for the transparent parts which is the windshield and tubing that I guess is for the engine piping.

H3.jpg

Overall parts are crisply molded, seamlines minimal. Next to check the fit. I can't recall if I had built a Bronco kit before so this will be an adventure.
I have a magazine that features the build of this kit which I will read over again...if I can get it to the same level I'd be very happy.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in Richard, had to push Steve up a bit on the bench seats you've hired in.
Never seen one before, looks to be some very small parts as well.
Don't think there's any worry of you not producing something as good as that magazine.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Don't think there's any worry of you not producing something as good as that magazine.
No doubt yours will be excellent.

As for a magazine article :rolling: I have a magazine article relating to my current build and my gripe is that the article doesn't mention the fit problems. Great article and the finished model looks superb but I just felt the builder had looked at the kit through rose tinted glasses.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

John, mind you I'll need lab magnifyers soon. The seats are arranged wigwam fashion, besides the refreshments, a peace pipe will be passed around to check misbehaving.:smiling6:
Jim, I know what you mean. I normally take a pinch of salt on these reviews as modelers tend to overlook their experience in aircraft modelling skipping the difficult assemblies as an everyday thing. Also the level of their craftsmanship perhaps passes these abnormallies as the usual easy solved issues. What I can't stand are manufacturers stating their state of the art processing and boxing as premium but neglect the same fit issues.

Anyway gripe over...now the destruction sheet.
I have snapped just a few pages but it's pretty precise apart from the clear parts numbering...

H4.jpg

H5.jpg

H6.jpg

H7.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ah! A decent set of instructions. I had forgotten what they looked like :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I found the magazine issue with the article on the Bronco Humber and its from our former home. Lucky for me the writer does comment on areas to look out for in assembly.

H8.jpg

At least with this I know that the interior was painted white...the instructions don't say anything about it.

H9.jpg

There is a little bit of history on the Humber after the build section.

H10.jpg

I won't be doing the Italian campaign version as mine is the later boxing concentrating on the ETO after Normandy landings.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I thought I'd better get on with this and started with the interior...

H11.jpg

In less than an hour I've slapped on some bits like the seats, steering wheel, firewall and transmission covers. Even a clean cut from the sprue leaves a tab over the area to be joined that needs slicing off and sanding.

H12.jpg

Surprisingly I had my first trouble with the firewall...the instructions didn't show exactly where to attach the part. There was an arrow pointing neither here nor there so I just guessed it had to be behind the tab that runs along one side to the other.

H13.jpg

The warping of the side walls didn't make the fit of the firewall as snug as it should be. Having peered into many kits on display I realised without a magnifyer detail can be overlooked or missed and if the interior is filled with storage and crew equipment, that makes it even harder to spot detail through tiny hatches. Some of the items attached to the side walls will be painted before fitting.

So the interior will be strictly OOB. I will try to improve it by painting just like I did for my Ugly Little Tank.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Richard,
I had forgotten about this one! Looks pretty good so far :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Up and running. Speedy progress. Nice to find the magazine article.
Jim