Richards Kinetic 1/48 F-18D

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys, I've been asked to build a Kinetic 1/48 F-18D. You know how little I know about jets but my recent Seahawk has thrust me into this genre.

The kit is state of the art as it says in some reviews...so far I don't trust the destruction sheet having found a few discrepencies and there are many duplicate parts from the F-18C. Fit is not bad and molding seam lines are nearly non existent...jet builders will like this as both the intakes and exhaust are deep until the engines and ejector pin free.

F1.jpg

The packaging is impressive with matt lamination. Parts sprue are all neatly sealed in self adhesive polythene bags which are good for resealing parts that are not used. The mold details are fine with tiny recessed rivets and panel lines. Surprising that a kit with the latest tooling still has bits of flash, mostly on undercarriage doors...nothing that a sanding stick or a sharp blade is needed to clean it up. The decal sheet is impressive but only the basic stencils for the ATARS F/A-18D Bengals standard and Tigermeet are given. No decals for the ordnance which is quite odd as the Marines used their F-18 ATARS equiped reconnaisance compliment as combat frontline fighters bombers as well. The destruction sheet/booklet is something to be wary as some arrows and paint numberings are quite vague and a worthy challenge even for the experience modeler. It is advised to study and cross reference the booklet before starting.

I didn't get shots of the sprue though as I delved into dry fitting right on opening the box...thats how tempting it was even if jets aren't my thing. And on saying that I'll be doing a BOOB as I wouldn't know how to improve or take this the extra mile. What am I saying...I'm hoping it'll build nicely.

The cockpit itself is going to be one crying for paint. Here it is dry fitted with the ejector seats...

F2.jpg

The kit had the odd ejector pin marks seen here covered in green putty for the front undercarriage.

F3.jpg

The fuselage halves fit just nicely. Most of the joints will be hidden by the watchamacallit along both sides of the cockpit.

F4.jpg

I usually print out as many picture references large enough so I can better detail paint the cockpit.

F5.jpg

All the innards are given a coat of paint...Mr 317 for the cockpit tub and dash...Tamiya white for the undercarriage inside doors. I think the ATARS compartment shouldn't be white...will have to check reference as the sheet doesn't say.

F6.jpg

Undercarriage being sprayed with Tamiya white halfway ran out of paint ... the filled ejector pin marks not visible under the paint on the rear landing gear.

F7.jpg

The front undercarriage bay in white...

F8.jpg

So was the main undercarriage bay.

F9.jpg

Kinetic give you the intake shaft all the way to the engine fins with no ejector pin marks. It's painted white.

F13.jpg

They also give you the exhausts all the way too. Although the instructions call for white I painted the interior gunmetal. If you see the reference pictures I printed you will see its dark all the way in and only white at the nozzle edge which unfortunately is gunmetal in the instructions. You will see the nozzle after I have done with it.

F14.jpg

Apart from some decision making the build is smooth so far.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting kit Richard, looking forward to the next steps :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice progress richard , it looks a very nicely detailed kit. No decals for the ordnance , same as the f-16 ive just done, have a look at some pics of the weapons youve got and just stick some stencils on out of the spares box , nobody can read them anyway , as long as they're in the right place and about the right shape its ok. Makes such a difference though, cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steven, Tony, Si, Ralph and Ian, thanks for joining in. Just found that the nose parts and ATARS don't fit so well. Lots of manouvering and filler ahead.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Something out of your comfort zone. I'm sure your skill and experience will see you right. Looks a nice kit. Detail in the undercarriage bays is nice and the cockpit should paint up well. Tony is probably right regarding the weapon decals.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Christopher and Jim, great to have you here.
The kit can be the latest manufactured but it can still have the same glitches as the old stuff. Here's the image of the nose section. The step is very evident...

F16.jpg

Gave the main wheel well a wash while I settled my composure after the nose job...

F15.jpg

While that dried I got the intakes cleaned up...not too bad after some light filler and sanding and a dusting of paint over the earlier coat.

F17.jpg

I decided to do the rest of the build before I takled the nose filling, sanding and restoring the panel lines.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Scottie and Andy, the thing about planes is that if the office is not done you can't close the fuselage halves so I had to really work on it pronto.

Seats were painted and dry brushed...little bits here and there were picked out...the belts will be done separately and installed later.

F19.jpg

Fitted the whole cockpit tub onto the upper half of the fuselage...the seats aren't glued yet awaiting the seat belts...

F20.jpg

Not very visible here but the seat covers for the back and seat are different in shades. Darker for the back and more tanned for the seat.

F21.jpg

The side consoles were given a pin wash to essentuate the panels. Joystick dry brushed with neutral grey and a single button picked out in red.

F22.jpg

The nose section, with a bit of finger wrestling and clamping resulted in a passable fit. The gun ports for this version are faired over using putty to be sanded down.

F23.jpg

Halves and part of wings have been mated...lots of filling and sanding ahead. I dread this as some of the fine detail may be compromised. Careful planning and well placed masking will hopefully minimise the need for rescribing

F24.jpg

That's it for last nights work. Today 's bench time will be putty filling. :tired:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Late as usual, so appoligies Richard.

From what I know of your work it will be superb, though I thought you were applying for membership of the untidy bench club where I saw those photos, after I recovered I've had a good read through.

Certainly some great detailing and the work on the office is tops.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Beautifully done cockpit. The fit certainly seems to have it's problems. Nothing you can't deal with but a nuisance nevertheless.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John and Jim,
This kit sure poses some challenges which can be solved. In my rush for the previous build I forgot the blue background card but because this kit needs work I can lesurely snap pictures while contemplating the next step.

Still puttying away.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks John and Jim,
This kit sure poses some challenges which can be solved. In my rush for the previous build I forgot the blue background card but because this kit needs work I can lesurely snap pictures while contemplating the next step.

Still puttying away.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard have you finished puttying yet ?
chris

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Richard...... I'm here looking at this... like.... HEAVY BREATHING....... :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: