Richards Kinetic 1/48 F-18D

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Tony, the basic kit is not too bad if you're not expecting a super flawless mold. I just had a fight to install small etch frets to hold the intake shields. The instructions obviously showed it at the wrong position which I thought not logic. Luckily a quick look at references showed it installed further down at the corner. Still it took me a while to get both aligned...

F48.jpg

The F-18 has a rugged look to it which fits the Marines tough persona. Getting it to this stage is a relief. I have decided the only putty to fill intakes is Magicsculp. Easy to apply and smoothen with a damp brush or cutip.

Go for it Tony and make sure to post it here.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Watching your preshade very carefully. I will get that technique right if it kills me :angry: You always get a very nice result.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for looking in Steven and Jim.

Jim, basically its creating the look on the canvas before applying a tint of the top coat. So with the use of heavy tones of black and whites I basically weather the surface without the worry of overdoing it because varying the final top coat of tinting layers can reduce or keep the shading heavy. The good thing is the top coat shades will appear as a darker or lighter version of its hue. I have seen many make the mistake of using black as post shading when it should be the mix of the top coat and a darker shade to get the same result as pre shading. I hope I'm making sense. :smiling3:

Anyway I hope my process shows the method.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's the white applied to the pre-shade. Doesn't look much but it is there. The F-18s weren't as splochy as the F-14s as they were newer I guess.

F52.jpg

This was done over at the night build in our LHS. I used their airbrush and was getting to grips with it.

F53.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
The secret, which you have mastered, is to build up with very misty coats. It is the skill of using the airbrush both to get the preshade correct and the misted on top coats. I will conquer the technique :smiling:
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
The secret, which you have mastered, is to build up with very misty coats. It is the skill of using the airbrush both to get the preshade correct and the misted on top coats. I will conquer the technique :smiling:
Jim

Hi Jim, yes that's the method. It's also the kind of paint you use and how translucent it is to manipilate the degree of the shade showing through. I think you've nearly got the hang of it with your heli.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, back home again and have taken shots of what was finished at the LHS last night...

F54.jpg

The results of the layers that covered the pre-shading. I got the subtle look that I wanted but not for the grey tone for the underside as the variation of the grey is so close. I found out that I hadn't added the white pre-shade to the bottom so the black overpowered the light grey.

F55.jpg

But I'm happy with the top and just need to re-work on the fins as they should have the lighter underside grey.

F56.jpg

There is a distinction or hint of the different greys near the back formation lights but not the fin...

F57.jpg

There is prominence on the nose and thats where I realised the white base will solve it.

F58.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Yes, that looks very nice Richard, subtle and refined work :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys...

That's some very tasty paintwork going on here mate.

Cheers
Yum yum Wouter, the fumes did get past the filters...I luv the smell of thinners(napalm) in the morning. :smiling6:

Yes, that looks very nice Richard, subtle and refined work :thumb2:
Steven, just enough and not crossing the line.

Richard,
I'm always jealous of your skills with an airbrush very nicely done.
Scottie, I envy your blings and how neatly they're attached.

Now that looks da’ business Richard :cool:
Si...here's my business card...we're closed during the day and opened at night.:smiling6:

Hi Richard
That is exactly as it should be.
Jim
Jim, I hope your next attempts will be just as it should be as well. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are the alterations with a stronger underside coat...

F59.jpg

Now you really see the demarcation between the greys. I will have to individually hand paint the probes...some of them are white. The front nose recieved a shade of radom tan or something close to it.

F60.jpg

The tail end too is quite noticeable but the fins are faint.

F61.jpg

The formation lights turned out alright. That little curvature below the formation lights near the flaps is metalic which was masked and sprayed. It wasn't in the instructions but noticed it on the actual plane.

F62.jpg

Will gloss this for decals and panel lining.

Cheers,
Richard