Richards Kinetic 1/48 F-18D

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Wouter, Scottie, Joe and Ralph for the kind comments. I just need to get this done and get back to dios. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Wouter, Scottie, Joe and Ralph for the kind comments. I just need to get this done and get back to dios. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard ive really enjoyed your hornet build so far (an I only wish I could paint mine when I do them ) like you have done an it seems a shame :sad: to me anyway that you are goin back to dios as it was nice to see another wingy person on the forum :thumb2:
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
HI Richard ive really enjoyed your hornet build so far (an I only wish I could paint mine when I do them ) like you have done an it seems a shame :sad: to me anyway that you are goin back to dios as it was nice to see another wingy person on the forum :thumb2:
chris
Christopher, no worries as I like planes and have a few lined up. It's just that I'm a diorama guy and miss making them. Haven't done any major work this year except exploring a desert one early in the year. I have quite a number of WIP's of planes in my album if you'd like to check it out.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Overall effect is spot on. Subtle as it should be. Panel lines show nicely. As you say if the decals settle well it will be easy to line those areas.
Jim

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Lovely paintwork Richard, thanks for the tip of using white in lower the black pre-shade:thumb2:.

The subtle weathering is spot on too, looking very much a newish carrier plane:smiling4:.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you guys,

Jim, I'm going to try a section first to see if the decals settle down well. Can't go wrong if its Cartograf.
Fernando, always willing to share any tips I have learned myself.
Greg, still more aging to go but first I will have to get through this....

F67.jpg

:tired: I absolutely hate decalling and jets are just full of it.

Cheers,
Richard

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking superb now richard , those decals are going to be a test though!! Cheers tony

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Tony, while digesting the destruction sheet and putting the numbers to the decal sheet I finished off the other parts like the pylons and Fuel tanks...

F68.jpg

Two of the fuel tanks will recieve the tiger stripes.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, just had a read through, lovely work as always. You certainly have skill when it comes to panel lines and the painting .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for dropping in John, I know you're not a jet fan too but all the same it's nice to have you along. Years of being a graphic artist helps with the painting and airbrushing. Just like riding a bicycle, you don't forget and apply the skills to a different format.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking forward to seeing all those decals in place Richard :smiling3:.
Ralph, I have cut out and separated the decal sections as per the destruction sheet. Just finding a quiet time to start decaling.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Commenced on the decalling...so far the butt area is complete...

F69.jpg

No frills just immerse the pre cut sheet in luke warm water (in our climate its just plain tap water) leave the decals on the sheet and place on a paper napkin, slide off whatever you need to apply either onto the area or pick it up with forceps depending on how small it is. Arrange the decal using a brush soaked in with water, wicker away any excess water then apply Mr Mark Softener, let that settle for a while and then with a cutip roll away the excess fluids and any bubbles trapped. Let it settle further until it dries. The decals will hug the surface. Any bubbles remaining is pricked with a sharp blade and more MMS added.

You will see some white clouding which is the MMS reacting to Future...no need to panic as a coat of Future later will eraze the cloudiness and leveling the decal film. The matt varnish is coated if preferred lightly for a satin finish.

Cheers,
Richard