Richard's Revell Ex-Matchbox 1/72 Victor Resurfaces

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here it is the disasterous results of a momentarily lapse of concentration...mixing colours and the domino effect that continued... :tongue-out2:

V66.jpgV67.jpgV68.jpgV69.jpgV70.jpgV71.jpg

Remind me that this needs sun tan lotion...and it even got darker with a layer of gloss varnish. Adding the decals was the nail to seal the disaster. The only consolation was it was a good base of pre shadow for the repaint.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Sorry to be a pest but I can't figure out what you meant by the following.
On top of this will be sprayed interior gray and then black and then primer to create the opaque frame for the canopy. It's always annoying to see transparency through a supposed solid frame.
As always your careful, considered approach does you credit. The way the flaps were done is an example of this.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Sorry to be a pest but I can't figure out what you meant by the following.

As always your careful, considered approach does you credit. The way the flaps were done is an example of this.
Jim

No worries, Jim, I'll be happy to explain. Many a times I have painted canopy frames with just the main body colour and when put up against the light, the frames didn't look solid and were transluscent. So I have since painted the interior colour then a coat of black then primer to match with the rest of the fuselage before spraying the body colour. Sounds like overkill but it blots out any light through the painted frame making it solid looking.

Hope that helps. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, from here onwards the WIP is nearly real time as I had resuscitated the build with repainting only two weeks ago.

The first process was dusting the Victor with a soft brush...a lot of dust collects in three years even in glass cabinets. Then the painstaking application of white glue to all the decal stencils before spraying. Mr Color 336 has the exact Hemp BS4800/10821.

V72.jpg

I didn't have to do any shading as the underlying paint was strong enough to leave its mark so the effect is by accident. Now I can add this to my preshade notes for the next kit.

V73.jpg

The long decals were masked with thin strips of Tamiya tape.

V74.jpgV75.jpg

Roundel masks were cut with a blade following circles marked with a circular template.

V76.jpg

I could breath a sigh of relief after this...and continue with the rest of the decalling and weathering.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Richard.
All is now clear. Another useful tip for my book.
Paint job looks great. Masking in one form or another must have been a long, painstaking task.
Jim

D

Dave S4

Oh, it's a lovely job! Really nice.
Ref the wrong colours: I take your word for that, but would be very happy to get that kind of finish on an aircraft. There's a long way to go here...!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Guys,

Thanks Richard.
All is now clear. Another useful tip for my book.
Paint job looks great. Masking in one form or another must have been a long, painstaking task.
Jim

I found that masking with white glue was easier than anticipated...should have doen it 3 years back instead of procrastinating. :smiling2:

Oh, it's a lovely job! Really nice.
Ref the wrong colours: I take your word for that, but would be very happy to get that kind of finish on an aircraft. There's a long way to go here...!!

The new Hemp colour was easy to apply with two coats just enough for the underlying shades to show through. You're right...a long way to go to finishing.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
As shown earlier in the post thread, I made these refuelling probes from plastic sprue and the cut out ring from the existing kit part.

V77.jpg

The probe is covered with some form of plastic which I simulated with a coating of white glue.

V78.jpg

The probes are usually retracted fully but I left mine sticking out a bit since I spent quite a bit of time making it.

V79.jpg

Meanwhile I searched references for the aerial, avionics and navigational light attachment points. The kit does not provide these so they were made from plastic strip and clear sprue...

V80.jpgV81.jpgV82.jpg

That's it for now...

Cheers,
Richard

D

Dave S4

Actually, I meant there's a long way to go HERE.
Techniques still a little rudimentary when I model aircraft.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Actually, I meant there's a long way to go HERE.
Techniques still a little rudimentary when I model aircraft.

:smiling2: Oh I see...don't sell yourself short Dave, I am myself still learning the dark arts of aircraft building and finishing and can't get anywhere near competition level especially decalling.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
On a recent local GB I brought my Victor along and many were surprised that it was a Revell kit.

The other comment was that it sat so low and on taking a closer look and referencing I decided that the front undercarriage was a little low which made the fuselage slope down to the front and added 3mm to it with plastic rod and a steel wire drilled through for added support. You can see the addition in white which will be painted in chrome silver making it look like extra play on the oleo struts...

V83.jpg

The underneath shot shows off the unique shape of this plane. You don't often see this in todays plane designs.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks both of you Paul and Jim, at this age I have learnt a few tricks to solve inaccuracies that are within my forte. I still marvel at incredible finishes that some modellers have achieved.

Ian, :tears-of-joy: it took 3 years before I felt or heard the whip...that sure got me going. It should be finished before the trip down under. Just waiting to start the toon build.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Dave S4

:smiling2: Oh I see...don't sell yourself short Dave, I am myself still learning the dark arts of aircraft building and finishing and can't get anywhere near competition level especially decalling.

Cheers,
Richard
Decals get me down....!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Decals get me down....!

Dave, decals will almost uplift a kits presentation if done properly...basically gloss varnish the surface apply the decal add decal softener and let it settle, roll away any excess fluids with a cutip, re-coat with gloss or matt vanish. Some will coat with gloss varnish and wet sand till there is no trace of the step of the decal film and then revarnish with either matt or gloss coat...so don't let it get you down. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
With little bench time last night I scratched that pipe at the front end of the huge tank...I don't know what it's for but it needed to be added. I made two of these...

V85.jpg

After painting...on hindsight I should have used insulating wire tubing instead of scratching and drilling plastic rods. :tongue-out2:

V86.jpg

Cheers,
Richard