Richard's Tamiya 1/35 Brummbar (AAGB)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I thought I'd better get on with it by starting with sprue shots and a small write up on why I chose the Brummbar.

I remember seeing a Brummbar punching through a wall with a smiling commander by Shep Paine. It had zimmerit and the pattern did impress me. If I'm not mistaken it was a Monogram kit.

There are a few translations to the word Brummbar like Sorehead, Bear and Grouch. The Allies nicknamed it and not the Germans.

Here are some references of its development from Wiki:
The Sturmpanzer (also known as Sturmpanzer 43 or Sd.Kfz. 166) was a German armoured infantry support gun based on the Panzer IV chassis used in the Second World War. It was used at the Battles ofKursk, Anzio, Normandy, and was deployed in the Warsaw Uprising. It was known by the nickname Brummbär by Allied intelligence, a name which was not used by the Germans. German soldiers nicknamed it the "Stupa", a contraction of the term Sturmpanzer. Just over 300 vehicles were built and they were assigned to four independent battalions.
The Sturmpanzer or Brummbar was a development of the Panzer IV tank designed to provide a vehicle offering direct infantry fire support, especially in urban areas. It used a Panzer IV chassis with the upper hull and turret replaced by a new casmate-style armoured superstructure housing a new gun, the 15 centimetres (5.9 in) Sturmhaubitze (StuH) 43 L/12 developed by Skoda. It fired the same shells as the 15cm sIG 33 heavy infantry gun. Thirty-eight rounds, with separate propellant cartridges, could be carried. It used the Sfl.Zf. 1a sight. The combined weight of the shell and cartridge (38 kilograms (84 lb) for an HE shell and 8 kilograms (18 lb) for a propellant cartridge) made the work of the loader arduous, especially if the gun was elevated to a high angle.
An MG 34 machine gun was carried that could be fastened to the open gunner's hatch, much like the arrangement on the Sturmgesschutz III Ausf. G. Early vehicles carried a MP 40 sub-machine gun inside, which could be fired through firing ports in the side of the superstructure.
The driver's station projected forward from the casemate's sloped frontal armour plate and used the Tiger I's Fahrersehklappe 80 driver's sight. The fighting compartment was, albeit poorly, ventilated by natural convection, exiting out the rear of the superstructure through two armoured covers. Sideskirts were fitted on all vehicles.
Early vehicles were too heavy for the chassis, which led to frequent breakdowns of the suspension and transmission. Efforts were made to ameliorate this from the second series onwards, with some success.
In October 1943, it was decided that the StuH 43 gun needed to be redesigned to reduce its weight. A new version, some 800 kilograms (1,800 lb) lighter than the StuH 43, was built as the StuH 43/1. Some of the weight was saved by reducing the armour on the gun mount itself. This gun was used from the third production series onwards.
Zimmerit coating was applied to all vehicles until September 1944.

The kit is old and parts simple. The large surface area would be good to apply zimmerit.

B1.jpg

The sprue shot where most of it is taken up by the wheels.

B2.jpg
The assembly will be OOB and I would rely on the zimmerit coating and my painting skills to do justice to the kit.

Cheers,
Richard

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Richard

Count me in sir, nice history :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I remember seeing a Brummbar punching through a wall with a smiling commander by Shep Paine. It had zimmerit and the pattern did impress me. If I'm not mistaken it was a Monogram kit.
Click :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you taking part in the GB Richard. Seen plenty of photos of this vehicle but rarely seen it modeled. Good luck

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys for coming along for the ride...hope I can do justice with the zimmerit coating. Just to let you know I'm not a bling guy so it'll be simple and far away pictures. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i can remember doing this kit a few years ago, went together with no drama

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I'm in. Interested to see how you do the zimm.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Took a lot of pics. of the one on display at Aberdeen proving grounds years ago. Let me know if you need particular close ups. I might be able to help. Cheers, Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
i can remember doing this kit a few years ago, went together with no drama
Paul...I like the sound of that, the less drama the better.

Hi Richard
I'm in. Interested to see how you do the zimm.
Jim
Haven't done zim for a while Jim and this time I will use two part putty and apply which acts as a paste just like the real thing.

Took a lot of pics. of the one on display at Aberdeen proving grounds years ago. Let me know if you need particular close ups. I might be able to help. Cheers, Rick H.
Rick, thanks mate if you have any of the top hatches , zim pattern, engine covers and tail muffler would be great. I would probably leave the kit as it is but if I'm going to open the hatches I need to know whats inside of the hatch cover.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard, here is what I have, I'm sorry for the poor quality,P1010994.JPGP1010995.JPGP1010997.JPGP1010998.JPG but this is what I get for taking a digital photo of a 35 mm photo.
Cheers, Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard, here is what I have, I'm sorry for the poor quality,View attachment 360907View attachment 360908View attachment 360910View attachment 360911 but this is what I get for taking a digital photo of a 35 mm photo.
Cheers, Rick H.
It's ok Rick...clear enough for me. Thanks. Lots of bullet splash shield strips...necessary as the hull top slopes down a little.

PM sent Richard
Just seen it Steve and replied, thanks.

Cheers,
Richard