Rick’s 1/48 ICM Dornier Do17z-2

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’m building this for a GB at my local club. This will be the first ICM kit to find its way to my work bench and it looks very nice.
2725D0D0-29E8-40EB-B1BB-29960B44AF87.jpegFCA40007-761C-4BBE-B94E-B54F72D5B6AA.jpeg2B52C6D4-FD69-4218-9D93-9E5CFB519D00.jpeg
There two of these sprues.

32ADD5DF-9E5D-4F89-8DAB-5BA3240A8E03.jpegB8886B8F-2337-48FD-80E1-2B58FDCD26AB.jpeg137594F8-59BE-44EB-8961-0673A6503F33.jpegA0470121-AF5C-4091-BCF2-9F31C9E3A400.jpegF130B4CC-7544-446B-A562-51A7A17BA275.jpeg76C6B3D0-9EB6-4085-AD7C-01A8E41F657C.jpeg
I’m going to have a go at this winter scheme of an aircraft from 15(Kroat)/KG53. White camo will be a first for me
2AAB07F6-00A0-4701-A421-D451FBDFF5FA.jpeg
Aftermarket will be paint masks and etch from Eduard. The etch set isn’t for this mark of Do17 but I compared it to the correct (out of production) set and I can’t see any glaring differences.
Starting soon after business trips and current bench occupant are complete.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Will follow with interest, I have the Eduard kit with the ICM plastic in the cupboard.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rick,
minor tip - go through the sprues before you start & remove those parts ' not for use ' & consign to the spares box ( especially the clear parts! ). There are parts that look very similar, and it's too easy to select the wrong part ( Yes, guilty, - but I did the Nightfighter version! ). It can save you a lot of grief and bad language :rolling:
Dave

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve picked this off the shelf of doom. It stalled when I got to the glazing and couldn’t get a part to align. There was also a head scratcher with the landing gear.
You can see the shock strut frame doesn’t quite look right.

IMG_2576.jpegIMG_2577.jpeg
This means the drag brace won’t attach directly to the aft face.

My solution is the drill hole for the shock strut to fit into. A little cleanup is required.

IMG_2579.jpegIMG_2580.jpeg

It looks better now.
IMG_2578.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Paint on now. Underside done and masked then the uppers done in the two tone Luftwaffe splinter. I’ve done this with soft lines because this will be under a faded white distemper.
My quandary is having to remove the masking, varnish and decal etc then reapply masking to the under side again for the white. What a pain.

IMG_2625.jpegIMG_2624.jpeg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Missed this previously,glad I've come across it now mind as an ICM Dornier has been on my wish list for a long time! Tis a quandary regarding the masking as you say,bad enough doing it just the once! My current He 111required me making internal masks myself as the set only provided the external ones :sad:
I'm sure this Do of yours will be fine judging by the progress so far :thumb2:.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My quandary is having to remove the masking, varnish and decal etc then reapply masking to the under side again for the white. What a pain.
Why not apply the white first? Or is it to go (partly) over some of the decals?

If the underside is to remain non-white, but the white needs to go over some of the decals on the top half of the plane, I would probably apply the top decals now, with the masking in place, then do the white, and only once that is done, remove the masking and add the decals to the underside.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Why not apply the white first? Or is it to go (partly) over some of the decals?

If the underside is to remain non-white, but the white needs to go over some of the decals on the top half of the plane, I would probably apply the top decals now, with the masking in place, then do the white, and only once that is done, remove the masking and add the decals to the underside.
Yea, this is the quandary I am in. I don’t want the decals over the white, my logic is the white would be applied over the base camouflage but around the existing markings.

Plus - the fuselage crosses over lap on to the light blue underside.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hmm … if the white camouflage has soft edges, then I’d say: remove the masking (except on the canopy), apply the decals, and then spray the camouflage without masking the underside?

With hard edges, maybe remove the masking only as far as necessary to apply the decals, then put it back later?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
My naivety coming out here. The colouring, white and such is bamboozling me!! Why white? Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question!!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hmm … if the white camouflage has soft edges, then I’d say: remove the masking (except on the canopy), apply the decals, and then spray the camouflage without masking the underside?

With hard edges, maybe remove the masking only as far as necessary to apply the decals, then put it back later?
The paint scheme has the white over light blue with a hard edge, but I agree with your logic on the soft edge to the white - maybe you over estimate my free hand airbrush skills Jakko.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My naivety coming out here. The colouring, white and such is bamboozling me!! Why white? Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question!!!

It’s a winter camo scheme Doug. A white distemper type paint was applied over Luftwaffe aircraft on the Russian front.
The bottom illustration is the scheme I am doing.

9CEC12D3-55DF-4DE7-AB15-385818D08215.png

As I always say to students on training visits, the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask. Except for the one time that growbag* asked why I was filling a MRGB with oil.

* a member of aircrew in a flying suit. So called for their resemblance to a prepacked bag full of $**t.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
maybe you over estimate my free hand airbrush skills Jakko.
Possibly :smiling3: Though it’s not hard to keep paint off the underside of the wing — just make sure you always spray from above :smiling3:

In any case, when I look at the bottom drawing, it has me wondering if the camouflage would have been that neat IRL. Which is to say, I can’t really imagine the ground crew doing as neat a job painting the plane out in some snowy field in Russia at −10°, as they would at a proper airfield back in Germany before the war. Freehand spraying seems more likely than masking everything up to get those neat, hard edges.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If their distemper was anything like the one I've used, I doubt if it would spray well. Probably just chucked it on from a bucket and spread it out with whatever was available - paintbrushes, brooms, rags.
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
If their distemper was anything like the one I've used, I doubt if it would spray well. Probably just chucked it on from a bucket and spread it out with whatever was available - paintbrushes, brooms, rags.
Pete
Hands!!! That’s we used when we deployed to Norway in a rush!!! Loverly stuff, washed off with a good scrub.