Rickety Bridge

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I am going to try and represent my M20 just passing over a wooden bridge that spans a small stream and a wide stream bed. It has been constructed from balsa and dowel. For the moment I have tried to show although not visible in the pictures the marks left by the bolts and nails used to construct it. I will try and find some small pins to represent them better later.

The reason for the bridge is I want tp practice taking my dio's up and not just flat scenes.

cheers
Scottie

D

Deleted member 7181

Very nice.

Although to me it looks damn sturdy, great piece of construction.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Paul,

I'm with Andy here my friend. The bridge is really sweet and well built. I can't wait to see what's next!!!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy, Neil, Allen.
Thanks all for the vote of confidence on my construction.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Paul.What was your inspiration? Was it a photo or a bridge nearby you?. Looks ideal for playing Pooh sticks. :smiling3: Looking forward to seeing the meandering stream underneath. Good luck with the rest of the dio

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That is a great looking bridge Paul :smiling3:.
Ralph, Thanks fella.
Stunning work Paul.What was your inspiration? Was it a photo or a bridge nearby you?. Looks ideal for playing Pooh sticks. :smiling3: Looking forward to seeing the meandering stream underneath. Good luck with the rest of the dio
Steve, thanks mate its a mixture of pictures from the net and verlinden bridge but I think it was a bridge design that was built by German engineers.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
That looks very nice indeed. Looking forward to the next steps. What glue do you use for wood?
Jim

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Paul, great work on the bridge it doesn't look very rickety to me. I suspect you have a cunning plan :tongue-out2:. Will keep a eye on this one.
Pete.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Does indeed look like German engineer work. A fine job. Sometimes a Sharpie does fine for nails/screws. They just need a touch of red/brown rust streak on verticals if older. PaulE

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
That looks very nice indeed. Looking forward to the next steps. What glue do you use for wood?
Jim
Hi Jim, I just use normal PVA or a bit of superglue on small contact areas.
Hi Paul, great work on the bridge it doesn't look very rickety to me. I suspect you have a cunning plan :tongue-out2:. Will keep a eye on this one.
Pete.
Pete, I have a plan but I wouldn't call it cunning more seat of the pants.
Does indeed look like German engineer work. A fine job. Sometimes a Sharpie does fine for nails/screws. They just need a touch of red/brown rust streak on verticals if older. PaulE
Thanks Paul, that's a good point about the rusty bolts/nails.
Nice bridge Paul, would you rebuild our bridge?

Cheers, Jim

Bridge%20panels%20installed%20across%20stream.jpg
No worries mate if I have any balsa left over I will have a look.
Nice bit of miniature woodworking Scottie.
Thanks Mick.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The work continues on the base. The basic shape has been formed from foam blocks. This has then been coated with PVA and filler. When it had dried it got a dusting of mixed grasses. Then this was dusted with Tamyia flat earth to tone down the brightness of the grass. The strip you can see will hopefully represent a concrete plinth.

Next it is time to work on the vegetation.

Then the bridge received a base coat of dark drown ready for the next stages.

cheers
Scottie

Attachments

• DSCF1831.JPG
    DSCF1831.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 9

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul
Your dios always look the part

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THE bridge looks ok to me Scottie very nice build im followin your build as like the other guys say great work :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
chris