Rick's 1/35 Bronco Airborne Jeep and 6 pdr Anti-Tank Gun

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is my next build. I contemplated a Tornado but my domestic engineer urged me to do this as it is a break from the usual for me, not only is it 1/35 scale, not an aircraft but it also has figures to build and paint (sharp intake of breath). A steep learning curve awaits with different build/paint sequences to figure out along the way.
I have a life long interest in the Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces, the exploits of this famous regiment are legendary. I grew up in a service family, my father was a paratrooper, so I did a lot of growing up in and around Aldershot.
Many a weekend I would visit the Airborne Forces Museum and read, re-read and take in the exhibits and models. Sadly the paras and the museum have moved out and many of the barracks they occupied are gone with housing being built in their place, there are few soldiers garrisoned in Aldershot these days. One day I will visit the new Airborne Forces museum at Duxford.
In the meantime I will busy myself with this little kit from Bronco, lots of parts, wish me luck.

IMG_2691.JPG IMG_2692.JPG IMG_2693.JPG IMG_2694.JPG IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2696.JPG IMG_2697.JPG IMG_2698.JPG IMG_2699.JPG IMG_2700.JPG IMG_2701.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's where I am at, great kit that demands your attention as there is a lot of etched brass to do.

WP_20170702_15_29_11_Rich.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I packed the figures from this jeep & gun kit plus the Bronco paratroopers in action set A and made some progress on them today in my hotel room. The additional set features four figures, one on a bicycle, advancing from the DZ to their objective; these compliment the figures riding on the jeep.
The figures are broken down into a torso, legs, arms and head with other detail featuring the distinctive airborne helmet as well as weapons and webbing pouches. Decals are provided for rank and parachutist wings, I'm not convinced that artillery landed by glider would be parachute trained, unlike their modern counterparts in 7 (PARA) RHA, so I think only the toms tabbing to battle will wear wings.
One of the gripes with the figures is the little extra bits of plastic hanging off them from the injection moulding process, lots of snipping and sanding required but at least Bronco have thought out the location of them carefully so they are concealed behind knees in folds of clothings, on surfaces where the clothing is stretched across the thighs or where limbs attach. Mould seams are inconspicuous and easily sanded.
Most figures have been assembled with their limbs only, heads and additional webbing items will be painted separately and added later. Speaking of painting....that Denison smock camouflage pattern will be fun.

IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2936.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG IMG_2940.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had a good painting session tonight after my early return from my trip away. This is my first time at painting figures in this scale and all I can say is I'm glad I discovered acrylic paints. All this was done with Vallejo Model Air and Ammo by Mig brush painted on but there is much left to do. The Denison smock camouflage pattern was fun to do actually but I am going to wait until I put a coat of Matt varnish on one of the figures to see how it looks and make any adjustments. The paint is dry but there is a sheen that needs to be toned down.
I used a base of khaki followed by khaki green, mahogany and light brown dabbed on then worked in with a brush to get a suitable smudging effect on these colours. The trousers are dark earth, maybe too dark.
I'm also going to try some washes and shading.

IMG_2943.JPG IMG_2944.JPG IMG_2945.JPG

First Name
colin
The figures look good Rick. I know this is a bit late now but if you add a drop of tamiya flat base to Vallejo paint it drys completely flat.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had a long day at work yesterday (17 hour shift) but had a day off today and decided to tackle the etched brass on this kit, some of it is really small and delicate so not all of it will be used.
The instructions are lacking in some areas with part numbers missing from some of the build option stages. You have the choice of modelling the steering in the left, right or straight on position and there are different wheel joints depending on your preference, Bronco only give part numbers for one of the options so I had to figure out which ones to use for straight on - faff.
So some brass work has been added to the jeep body and chassis and also the gun breech assembly...photo light today.

IMG_0275.JPG IMG_0276.JPG IMG_0278.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had an unexpected break from work today so forged ahead some more. The chassis is complete, less wheels, and mated to the body. Some small details were added like the pedals and front bumper with etched brass here and there for some other sub-assemblies, the triangular frame being a real test of new skills.
Other work started on the gun shield, I have put the tip of a No.11 scalpel blade next to the etched brass bits for scale. My eyes hurt so I am going for a swim in the hotel pool followed by beer.

IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0287.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It took nearly an hour to do just one of the gun carriage arms, they are articulated to allow folding of them presumably so they can be stowed in a glider - pictured is the most complex of the arms which is made up of lots of small parts.
The instructions again showed their shortcomings with incorrect sprue positions. What is also annoying is that many parts for the gun are spread over more than one sprue.

IMG_0288.JPGIMG_0289.JPGIMG_0290.JPG

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have a quandary over the troops that will be occupying this jeep. The instructions would have you put parachute wings on each of them but I'm not convinced by that, the formation markings for the vehicles are for the Royal Artillery and are part of the Airlanding Brigade who arrive by glider - why would glider borne troops wear parachute wings?
Anyone out there know if they should have para wings?