Rick's 1/35 Bronco Airborne Jeep and 6 pdr Anti-Tank Gun

First Name
colin
I have a quandary over the troops that will be occupying this jeep. The instructions would have you put parachute wings on each of them but I'm not convinced by that, the formation markings for the vehicles are for the Royal Artillery and are part of the Airlanding Brigade who arrive by glider - why would glider borne troops wear parachute wings?
Rick as far as I'm aware the troops on the glider wouldn't be wearing para wings. I'll check my ww2 British army handbook when I get home and I'll get back to you.

First Name
colin
Rick according to my reference material the troops on board a glider would not normally be trained paratroopers.

B

Bobby Dale

Rick this is looking to be an awe sum build i love the Bronco Air-bourne jeeps and have two sets myself i have the jeep ammunition trailer and pack howitzer still to build and the Jeep and trailer set already built about 18 months ago i enclose a pic i hope this helps its the one based on the famous pic and says it paratroops on board but after research found out that it was REME Airlanding brigade troops in the jeep and Glider pilots in the trailer .
IMG_4810.JPG
Regards Bobby

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Hi Rick
Lovely little jeep and great PE work- what's the etch tool you're using?
According to the photos at Oosterbeek 1st Airlanding Brigade wore the wings on the right upper arm above Pegasus (worn on both arms) on the battle dress but I can't see anything at all on the Dennison smock.Only troops completing the parachute training course were entitled to wear the wings so it's possible, I suppose,to find soldiers in the same glider borne units with and without wings.
Jon.

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Rick
According to the photos at Oosterbeek 1st Airlanding Brigade wore the wings on the right upper arm above Pegasus (worn on both arms) on the battle dress but I can't see anything at all on the Dennison smock.Only troops completing the parachute training course were entitled to wear the wings so it's possible, I suppose,to find soldiers in the same glider borne units with and without wings.
Jon.
It's called the "Bug", its only about 2" square so only suitable for small parts but there are larger ones available. I bought it at a model show but can't remember the price, John might have them or similar in his shop.

I'm pretty certain that only parachute or glider pilot wings would be worn on a Dennison smock with appropriate rank badges too, no Pegasus flashes. I'm going with no wings for the gunners in the jeep but the walking soldiers have them - typical of the paras to tab to their objective.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Rick
Jon.

Jon,
This is the tool I use for etched brass work. John has them on his shop website but they are currently out of stock, I don't recall paying more than £25 for mine at a show a few years back. There are bigger tools that can accommodate longer brass sections but like I say, this suits my needs right now.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/pr...e-bug-rth-hold-and-fold-the-small-shop-sms002

IMG_0836.JPGIMG_0837.JPG

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Rick,
Must be a spell check thing, I have to re-read my typing half the time.

Only just caught your build.....cool subject Looks like a very nice kit to me, I didn’t know bonco did a kit of this!
Lovely work so far
Si

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Ha. I hadn't noticed the date either.Any progress?
Thanks for the info re. The Bug. Handy little tool.
Jon.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Ha. I hadn't noticed the date either.Any progress?
Thanks for the info re. The Bug. Handy little tool.
Jon.

I'm just getting my work area back together after a bit of house renovations so hopefully soon, but I have a load of other projects to get on top of including fitting out a shed for my kids. Oh, and something called work keeps distracting me.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve had enough of the Tonka for now Andy I’ve just realised this jeep has been going on for a year now. The Jerry cans are now fully assembled with the filler necks and lids, Bronco include an open neck complete with a donkey’s dick if you wanted to pose a refilling scene but this will not be used.
The weapons for the jeep’s occupants and walking paras are done with some touch up needed after cutting from the sprue.
Somehow I have managed to lose the pivot pin that holds the gun chassis and tow arms, there are a number of shells with this kit one of which has found a new use! Don’t worry, it’s inert.

5209AAE5-060A-46D4-97BA-474B6D3612F4.jpeg673BFFE4-8F13-4DF0-9A15-60D2A1E30B75.jpegA5A9989E-F699-41F0-B179-A59FC27154D7.jpeg626F8044-9ACB-4C6F-A394-60E6DC66F20A.jpegE8B77B1B-3029-4B83-9A09-46853DEA4E79.jpeg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I recall someone buying one of these and posting it in the latest acquisitions thread, I forget the contributor but I remember mentioning a quirk in the instructions about the fender mounted lights. Well this is a caution for you, on page nine there is an instruction to cut off the lights moulded onto the radiator, do not throw them away! In a later assembly step you need to attach them to the fenders, I realised my mistake too late and will have to scratch build a pair.
C514DB37-45DA-4E8A-A3AF-E32E732C96BC.jpegE7495252-DE44-4D42-8D8A-5CFBD3838867.jpeg439C5686-69DD-4468-956A-7566C9D290E4.jpeg

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Just had a catch up with this build and what a great little kit. Doing a great job with it too.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Anything on Paras and I'll be grabing a seat, Rick. Take your time...I take ages to build too and I have both Bronco kits for the British and US Airborne Jeeps waiting in line to get built. If you need any references I have a build done yonkers ago that might help...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/an-old-favorite-of-mine-hold-until-relieved.30341/

...and there's another recent post that is still on going as a figure reference...

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/modifying-a-1-16-dragon-british-airborne-figure.30433/

Great that you have re-started this. Will be looking forward to the progress.

Cheers,
Richard