Rick's Airfix 1/76 Stug III G Panzer GB

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It's good to have you along on this GB Rick.

I think your Stug may be finished just a tad quicker than my Panther! You've really cracked on with the build and it looks nice and tidy.

I see the Stug has a Saukopf mantlet - you could possibly model this as an Arnhem vehicle. Most of them didn't have vehicle numbers anyway and would give you the option to spray the tri-colour camouflage. Although to be more accurate you would need to add Zimmerit.

Anyway it's good to have you along.

Good luck

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's good to have you along oaths GB Rick.

I think your Stug may be finished just a tad quicker than my Panther! You've really cracked on with the build and it looks nice and tidy.

I see the Stug has a Saukopf mantlet - you could possibly model this as an Arnhem vehicle. Most of them didn't have vehicle numbers anyway and would give you the option to spray the tri-colour camouflage. Although to be more accurate you would need to add Zimmerit.

Anyway it's good to have you along.

Good luck

Paul

Funnily enough these photos were  the reason I bought this kit. This Stug was knocked out by Baskeyfield at Oosterbeek apparently.

image.gif

image.jpeg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've loads of ref for these vehicles should you require it. Should be really easy to fabricate the shürzen hangers and the stowage guard rail on the back.

Cheers

P

BTW. The bolted mantlet type were also in evidence at Arnhem (but I think I prefer the Saukopf  :smiling3: )

Cheers

P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It looks a nice kit Rick for its age.

It's okay actually. There is not much flash at all but the small return wheels are off centre and needed careful sanding, caked on mud will hide that!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've loads of ref for these vehicles should you require it. Should be really easy to fabricate the shorten hangers and the stowage guard rail on the back.

Cheers

P

BTW. The bolted mantlet type were also in evidence at Arnhem (but I think I prefer the Saukopf  :smiling3: )

Cheers

P

If you have any photos of the hangers and stowage detail that would be very helpful. I'll be keeping it generic with unit markings because there aren't any!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's some reference shots for you. I've tried to concentrate on the stowage but there are other shots here of interest too. I've also included a couple of profiles to give you an idea for the camo (the last profile is of a Stuh 105mm though). All these shots are of Stug Brig 280, Arnhem, 19th Sept. I hope these help...

Here's my effort in 1/35. The model depicts Major Kurt Kühme's vehicle Sturmgeschütz brigade 280, Arnhem 19th Sept.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/user/tr1ckey66/media/Stug III late/StugIII15.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Note: no remote MG on roof. The spare wheels are moved to a position on the skirts over the rear idlers. Also I have a feeling now that the stowage box on the back was in fact metal and not wood as I have depicted it. Note also the mismatch camo on the schürzen.

Cheers

Paul

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I can't see the link.

I think you may have to use the chain button in the top bar to paste in links now.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I like the relaxing tank crew scene!

And you're right with division: Hohenstaufen 9SS - as part of the 2nd SS Amoured Corps, together with their sister division 10SS Frundsberg, were present at Arnhem. I don't think any of the Stugs at Arnhem would have this divisional badge though - most vehicles seem completely without markings apart from the odd national cross.

Looking forward to seeing this Stug progress - you seem to like this bit of armour!

Cheers

P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I like the relaxing tank crew scene!

And you're right with division: Hohenstaufen 9SS - as part of the 2nd SS Amoured Corps, together with their sister division 10SS Frundsberg, were present at Arnhem. I don't think any of the Stugs at Arnhem would have this divisional badge though - most vehicles seem completely without markings apart from the odd national cross.

Looking forward to seeing this Stug progress - you seem to like this bit of armour!

Cheers

P

I did my research on the units at Arnhem and noted the discussion whether the units insignia were carried. As I had the decal set I thought I would make use of it but I am not 100% satisfied with the camouflage on that vehicle, the one with the side skirts is a better effort I think. I do have a fascination with Arnhem and the armour that found itself in the middle of a major battle, it's curious that you would probably expect tank killers like Stug's to be up against other armoured units in battle normally - but then the humble British paratrooper and Airborne soldier lands in your fruhstuck, kicks your towels into the swimming pool and then starts a fight with you! 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real nice Paul,liking it a lot,very well done,like how your moved things about as well,and the added stowage box :D

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Monica my build is here only to demonstrate the details peculiar to Stürmgeschutz Brigade 280 but thank you. It's Rick's thread however.

Rick wil you be modelling a knocked out Stug - Baskeyfields action?

Cheers

P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Monica my build is here only to demonstrate the details peculiar to Stürmgeschutz Brigade 280 but thank you. It's Rick's thread however.

Rick wil you be modelling a knocked out Stug - Baskeyfields action?

Cheers

P

All being well, yes.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm back home with full access to my work bench and tools, or at least I thought I did, there is a wasp's nest in my garage just above my bench. Every time the lights are switched on they come out and buzz around so no painting for me until I get rid of them. In the meantime I have to de-camp to the dining table for the cutting and glueing.

So all I got done was a razor cut to the front right wheel and the mini drill to the front armour. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm liking the battle damage Rick it will look real good under some appropriate paintng and weathering.

Cheers

P

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
liking the look of this Rick,and as Paul,the battle damage is looking good also, 9_9