Rick's D-Day Dakota

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's my effort for the D-Day Super SIG. This is the Airfix boxing of the Italeri kit that was released last year. I haven't made my mind up whether to do it in RAF or USAAF markings but having seen the feature in this months AMW on the newly tooled Dakota I think I'll do an American kite.

There is another Dakota in the stash by Italeri which might get dusted down and built for the Market Garden SSIG. We'll see..........

View attachment 81725

View attachment 81726

View attachment 81727

Rushmoor-20140501-00627.jpg

Rushmoor-20140501-00628.jpg

Rushmoor-20140501-00629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice choice, Rick will be watching this one,

L

Laurie

Not sure if you know only found out yesterday by way of an article on a C47. C47 is the USAF designation. Dakota is the RAF designation Douglas Aircraft Company Transport Aircraft.

Nice aircraft even after all these years about 78 it still looks good and modern.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One fly over house Wednesday. About 300 metres above it actually. It didn't half make a noise!!! In a good sort of way.

I will look forward to seeing this build Rick.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I made a start on the cabin and cockpit with this one. I won't be adding figures or posing doors open so I'm doing the bare minimum to the interior with a lick of interior green and leather for the seat cushions. I'm not of the "but I know it's there" school and prefer not to waste time on farting about with bits nobody will see.

The horizontal stabilisers, wings and engines have been glued together with the engines and cowling interiors painted.

I ordered some decals and resin wheels from Hannants so I should be good for my MG Dakota too.

View attachment 81901

Rushmoor-20140503-00630.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some progress to report. The cabin and engines have been painted and built just about ready for installation. After a bit of stupidity crept into the engine build, I had two engines with two exhausts fairings and two with none, all I have to do is sand down the seams and add the exhaust pipes and they're done. All fixed now.

View attachment 81902

View attachment 81903

IMG-20140504-00646.jpg

Rushmoor-20140504-00645.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
moving alone nicely, do like the brown color for the seats,

looking forward to next one,

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
View attachment 82082

This months issue might be of some use to you if you don't already have it. A full in depth ref: and build guide with some great photos and historyimage.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I like that you get the British markings for it :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
View attachment 82169 This months issue might be of some use to you if you don't already have it. A full in depth ref: and build guide with some great photos and history
It was this article that prompted me to go digging out my two kits John. Very interesting.

I now have a British and an American version to do!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Lol :smiling3: I to have the exact same model that you are doing and I thought the exact same thing as yourself so I am watching yours with great interest looking forward to more updates cheers John

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Lol :smiling3: I to have the exact same model that you are doing and I thought the exact same thing as yourself so I am watching yours with great interest looking forward to more updates cheers John
Maybe it's not such a good idea to watch The Battle of Britain on telly. I'll end up buying a pile of Heinkels and Messerschmidts.

L

Laurie

Very nice Rick. The pair on the shelf will look the part.

Look at the lines on that aircraft . Designed in the mid thirties. Just unbelievable. The really elegant wings and purposeful tail.

Laurie