Rick's D-Day Dakota

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Rick, saw this in the Market Garden thread. They seem to be nice enough kits from watching your builds.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Very nice Rick. The pair on the shelf will look the part.Look at the lines on that aircraft . Designed in the mid thirties. Just unbelievable. The really elegant wings and purposeful tail.

Laurie
Definitely a contender for the best looking WWII 'plane Laurie - especially seeing the nice job Rick's doing so far.

Gern

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming alone nicely, ;)

L

Laurie

Very nice Rick very nice finishes going on here.

Yes you are right Gern. The Dakota is a very pleasing design. Very similar in a lot of respects to the Wellington which I chose.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Rick, shouldn't have too many issues with the stripes over that grey I wouldn't think, if you do I think priming again with that lighter shade would help.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had some time yesterday to do the rest of the masking on this, like to seal the edges of masking tape with Maskol to prevent any bleed of paint.

However, today I found the copy of AWM that featured the new tool Airfix Dakota build and realised that it might have been a better idea to do the stripes after the basic Grey and Olive Drab colours. I'm not taking all that masking off just to reapply it skill persevere with this one.

View attachment 88774

View attachment 88775

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Adrian
As I'm sure your aware the stripes were painted over the colours of the aircraft so if the underside grey shows through a little it wont be an issue.

Also you may want to consider not making the stripes 100% spot on as far as edges are concerned as several stripes were painting in the field and so wouldn't have the pin point accuracy as the models often depict. I delibratley made mine uneven on my build

Just my 2p worth of course and you are doing a fantastic job on both the aircraft :smiling3:

Adrian

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
As I'm sure your aware the stripes were painted over the colours of the aircraft so if the underside grey shows through a little it wont be an issue.Also you may want to consider not making the stripes 100% spot on as far as edges are concerned as several stripes were painting in the field and so wouldn't have the pin point accuracy as the models often depict. I delibratley made mine uneven on my build

Just my 2p worth of course and you are doing a fantastic job on both the aircraft :smiling3:

Adrian
You're right Ade about the stripes being painted over the original camouflage but for this particular model I have created for myself the problem of doing the white over grey and then having to do the Olive Drab after masking the white. The easy solution is to do the D-day stripes on the underside only as was later the case in real life, but then I wouldn't have an aircraft in true D-day markings! Hmmm?

First Name
Richard
Nice build so far Rick.

Watching your progress closely

Cheers Richi

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Rick. All I will say is it is your Dakota, you do what you want with the stripes. I personally don't like the roughly painted look although I know they were hand painted in a hurry. In larger scales it may look realistic but in 1/72 they are more uniform looking to my eye.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Looks good Rick. All I will say is it is your Dakota, you do what you want with the stripes. I personally don't like the roughly painted look although I know they were hand painted in a hurry. In larger scales it may look realistic but in 1/72 they are more uniform looking to my eye.
I'm curious as to why you'd want it to look more unrealistic? Regardless of scale there were very few that were spot on, don't get me wrong I'm no expert, it may be that mine was a 1:48th and so stands out a little more.

Adrian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I'm curious as to why you'd want it to look more unrealistic? Regardless of scale there were very few that were spot on, don't get me wrong I'm no expert, it may be that mine was a 1:48th and so stands out a little more.Adrian
Just because looking at 1/72 is like looking at the real thing from a distance. A personal thing, much like some will shade their paint shades to suit scale effect while others don't. To my eye it doesn't look unrealistic with the stripes nice and uniform in 1/72 scale. Therefore I don't want it to look unrealistic, but convincing as it would look from an equivalent real life distance. Each to their own.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I got back into the saddle with this one today. After painting the white base I've masked the stripes ready for the black to be applied. This build has been bugging me for a while, I've gone about masking this one all wrong. I should have done the same as with my Market Garden build and done the basic camouflage pattern first then added the D-Day stripes.

I contemplated switching the builds so that I could add the stripes over the base colours of the other Dakota. With this one I would do the stripes then spray over them on the Olive Drab portion only leaving the stripes on the Grey underside - do I want to mask more stripes on the other model though......?

I think I'll see their through even if it a pain in the backside.

View attachment 99950

View attachment 99951

image.jpg

image.jpg