Rick's Eduard 1/48 Ethiopian Air Force Mig-21 MF

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A word about Eduard paint masks for this kit.

I made the mistake of painting the underside pale blue before realising that there are masks for the green dielectric panels on this aircraft. After separating the areas required I used the paint masks but be careful with the wing leading edges, the instructions are not that clear so hopefully the photos below will help other members apply them with a little more clarity.

I have resprayed the pale blue, when dry I can finally start on the upper side.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The big reveal after applying the olive green reveals some crappy paint application. The bit I am really cheesed off with is the fin, even after using the Eduard masks this will need a complete respray after re-masking. Some of the green lacks depth in the smaller areas but these are easily dealt with, so too is the RH wing LE with a touch of sand yellow.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. Only today I was watching a film which mentioned the Mig 21 is one of the best selling aircraft of all time with over 40 air forces buying it. However, it was an old program, but may still be true.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Rick, just minor work for the touch-ups. A very attractive scheme.

nly today I was watching a film which mentioned the Mig 21 is one of the best selling aircraft of all time with over 40 air forces buying it. However, it was an old program, but may still be true.

Probably still true, although no longer the longest production run (F-15 and F-16 now hold this record).

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Touch ups done tonight in between entertaining the in-laws. No photos but the results are good, varnish next.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
lol Sorry typo. 

walks away chuckling to himself. "Rick jogging.....thats a good un.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have only applied the insignia and serials but it already brings this to life. I am not too sure how far to go with the stencils because the only ones I have are in German from the kit decal sheet, however they are a bit fuzzy so I might be able to get away with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have used some of the red stencils from the original decal sheet to embellish this a bit more, they are only applied on the upper surfaces and mid to upper fuselage sides. The rest of the decals are all in light blue with most of them to be applied to the lower surfaces, which as you can see is painted light blue...hmmm. I am contemplating leaving them off.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've had a right good go at doing those fiddly little bits like landing, their doors and actuators and probes etc.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Then I had one of those FFS moments when I realised that I had forgotten to do the intake ring.
image.jpeg

But here are some shots of the nearly finished model.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

There is really only the long pitot probe, ejection seat and canopy to fit. Now, about the canopy....it's all masked and painted on the outside with the interior colour applied before the olive green, but my problem is the inside of the canopy is glossy because of the clear plastic it is made of - how am I going to dull this bit down without ruining the transparency?