Rick's Operation Market Garden Dakota

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's my second Dakota this time for the Market Garden build. This is the Italeri boxing of an Airfix version I am doing for the D-Day SIGelsewhere on this forum. This kite will be a Royal Air Force Dakota but the identity isn't decided on yet - the D-Day model will be a USAAF version. The decals are starting to yellow as it is an old kit so aftermarket decals will have to be sourced, I've seen a set that looks ideal - maybe Flt Lt David Lord VC's aircraft will be the one.

The kit wheels are probably going to get replaced if there are resin ones available.

View attachment 81760

View attachment 81761

Rushmoor-20140503-00633.jpg

Rushmoor-20140503-00634.jpg

L

Laurie

If I did not have the Herrick group to construct i think I would have a go at a Dakota.

Nice idea Rick.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice Rick, will be looking forward to seeing this one

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I made a start on the cabin and cockpit with my second Dakota today. Unlike the D-Day build I may I add a figure and pose the rear personnel door open on a base but I'm still doing the bare minimum to the interior.

I'm at the same stage with both builds with the horizontal stabilisers, wings and engines have been glued together with the engines and cowling interiors painted.

I looked at decals for Lord's aircraft but the set I found were for the BBMF Dakota and had the serial number for a different kite. I think it was ZA947, the ex-RAE Farnborough Dakota that used to fly over my house. I heard that one of the gears collapsed while it was taxiiing once.

Anyway, I won't be doing Lord's so I'll have to use an alternative decal set from the sheet I ordered from Hannants.

First Name
Dave
Be careful when attaching the windscreen on the Italeri kit.I built this one years ago and remember it being very brittle and it cracked when I glued it to the model.i ended up making a new one from acetate sheet.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Engines on.

I'm going to keep the build thread for both Dakotas on the other thread here; http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/ricks-d-day-dakota.27206/

When the time comes for painting and decals to be applied I'll split them again. The colour schemes will be the same with the exception of D-day stripes and Air Force markings.

View attachment 86957

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A full four months since the first coat of olive drab and I have finally got the second coat applied - do you think the first coat had enough time to cure!?

Now that my Nimrod is complete this is in pole position to be finished next, just need to remove the masking and reapply for the leading edges to be done in black.

View attachment 99499

image.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
A full four months since the first coat of olive drab and I have finally got the second coat applied - do you think the first coat had enough time to cure!?Now that my Nimrod is complete this is in pole position to be finished next, just need to remove the masking and reapply for the leading edges to be done in black.

View attachment 101108
Another 24hrs wouldn't have hurt the curing time

S

steve scan

Mine are usually dry sooner than that! lol. nice to see these moving again, I am going to treat myself to the Airfix one soon.

First Name
Aaron
Awesome looking craft, reminds me of a 50's airliner.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Rick. Not much to do on it now, look forward to seeing the result.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Re-masked for the leading edges to be done in black. I think I should have done the black first and saved myself a load of masking tape. I could brush paint them but I prefer the finish achieved with an airbrush.

View attachment 99679

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm looking for a bit of feedback - the Xtradecal decal sheets that I have show two walkways on the top of the wings between the engine nacelles and the wing root, but the kit instructions paint guide do not. What's correct - walkways or not?