Rick's Operation Market Garden Dakota

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Had a quick look Rick. Walk way strips appear on contemporary C-47 warbirds but I can't find any period photos showing them. The area around the nacelle/wing root is quite worn however.

Here's one showing 82nd Airborne troops jumping near Groesbeek during Market Garden

View attachment 99680

Paratroopers_Dakota_Groesbeek_OMG1944_BM.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Had a quick look Rick. Walk way strips appear on contemporary C-47 warbirds but I can't find any period photos showing them. The area around the nacelle/wing root is quite worn however.Here's one showing 82nd Airborne troops jumping near Groesbeek during Market Garden

View attachment 101293
Thanks Joe. I suspected that might be the case.

Great picture too.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
And to back that up, just had a look at Airfix Model World's C-47 build article and they say 'It was noted that Xtradecal and Airfix suggested black walkways on the wing roots of the aircraft; little evidence of this could be found in period photographs so these were left off the build.'

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Had a quick look Rick. Walk way strips appear on contemporary C-47 warbirds but I can't find any period photos showing them. The area around the nacelle/wing root is quite worn however.Here's one showing 82nd Airborne troops jumping near Groesbeek during Market Garden

View attachment 101293
Of course, that now presents me with another problem - how do I weather the wings to show worn paint now? Normally I would have painted the wings aluminium before the olive drab and use chipping fluid. Grrrr!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
And to back that up, just had a look at Airfix Model World's C-47 build article and they say 'It was noted that Xtradecal and Airfix suggested black walkways on the wing roots of the aircraft; little evidence of this could be found in period photographs so these were left off the build.'
I skimmed through that article an hour ago looking to see how the builder decided not to do the walkways. Silly me.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I sense it will be out with some delicate dry brushing of aluminium paint .

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm applying the decals to this model using Xtradecal RAF roundels, they come in two parts with the red part separately applied. My question is do I use setting solution between the two decals? What's the trick here?

View attachment 106074

View attachment 106075

View attachment 106076

View attachment 106077

This decal on the cargo door broke up a little as try to apply it over the door hinge. I'm going to touch it up with paint if I can get the shade right - or try to conceal it with a chipped paint effect but I wasn't planning on weathering this much.

I still have the red of the roundels to apply.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I didn't when I used mine one of my Hurrycanes and they went on fine I just let them set a bit maybe an hour then gave them a coat of micro sol and they came out ok :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have done it both ways before, putting the blue/white on then decal fix. Then the next red dot.

I've also just put them all on then hit the micro sol or set.

One at a time was marginally better...

L

Laurie

Very nice work Rick. Crisp as they come.

Amazing aircraft which still looks modern after 80 years since it came into service.

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Very nice work Rick. Crisp as they come.
Amazing aircraft which still looks modern after 80 years since it came into service.

Laurie
She's definately one of the most attractive aircraft ever built. I used to pass one on my way to and from school each day, the school bus passed Browning Barracks in Aldershot with one of these parked outside the Airborne Forces Museum which was part of the barracks. It was here that many a young man went through their Parachute Regiment training course, sadly no longer in Aldershot. ZA947 was part of the RAE fleet at Farnborough and regularly flew over my house turning for finals, no surprise that I joined the Royal Air Force.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The civil version of one of these was the very first aircraft I flew in.

To any one else that has yet to fly, I strongly recommend not making your first flight in an aircraft in which you can see the wings flapping up and down! LOL

Yours is looking very sharp Rick.

L

Laurie

\ said:
She's definately one of the most attractive aircraft ever built. I used to pass one on my way to and from school each day, the school bus passed Browning Barracks in Aldershot with one of these parked outside the Airborne Forces Museum which was part of the barracks. It was here that many a young man went through their Parachute Regiment training course, sadly no longer in Aldershot. ZA947 was part of the RAE fleet at Farnborough and regularly flew over my house turning for finals, no surprise that I joined the Royal Air Force.
First aircraft I ever flew on in 1962. A Dakmaster. Walk up hill to your seat. I was issued a Murray Mint in a straw basket. It was 2nd March and one of the coldest winters of the century. Bang bang. Pilot reported no problems just ice breaking off the wings and hitting the fuselage. I just loved the journey married and my second job. O yes so experienced at 23 years old.

Laurie

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
The civil version of one of these was the very first aircraft I flew in.
To any one else that has yet to fly, I strongly recommend not making your first flight in an aircraft in which you can see the wings flapping up and down! LOL

Yours is looking very sharp Rick.
You've never flown in a VC-10 then Ian!

Sorry I misread the original poster's name.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
First aircraft I ever flew on in 1962. A Dakmaster. Walk up hill to your seat. I was issued a Murray Mint in a straw basket. It was 2nd March and one of the coldest winters of the century. Bang bang. Pilot reported no problems just ice breaking off the wings and hitting the fuselage. I just loved the journey married and my second job. O yes so experienced at 23 years old.
Laurie
I flew in a Shorts 360, the flying bread van, from Belfast to Glasgow and got the boiled sweet to stop my ears from popping! I had to unload my own luggage on the next leg when I git to Inverness.