Rick's Operation Market Garden Dakota

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Rick. There is a DC-3/C-47 that has been reactivated for an actual scheduled air service here on Sundays. The airframe is actually a former RNZAF machine which saw service during the Second World War in the Pacific. That says something about their durability. I think there are three flying here and one which arrived as part of a private venture celebrating Jean Batten's London to NZ flight which is looking for a new owner/home.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Two coats of Matt varnish later and it looks better than it did after one; there was some fogging to the finish after the first coat of varnish that seemed to go with the second application but it darkened the finish a bit. Unfortunately some specks of white particles have stuck to the finish so a dab of paint will be required, that's not such a big deal as I have some other touch up to do. Then I need to varnish the underside.

View attachment 108047

View attachment 108048

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I like this a lot, going to have to crack my one out soon.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I like this a lot, going to have to crack my one out soon.
This old Italeri kit isn't so bad but I'm sure the new Airfix version is a step up. Maybe you could do a raspberrry ripple Dakota Joe?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
This old Italeri kit isn't so bad but I'm sure the new Airfix version is a step up. Maybe you could do a raspberrry ripple Dakota Joe?
Think I'd stick with OD/NG, Rick. I have an ancient Airfix Dakota too,so I might do an airliner scheme for that one. The Raspberry Ripple I will save for the Hawk.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That C47 looks really smart Rick. Looks a good finish and the decals show no sign of silvering - great job.

Doesn't look like it will be long before this bird will be ready for display (ready to take it's Paras to Arnhem!)

Cheers

Paul

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some weathering and aerial fitting done as well as the landing gear and wheels. This hasn't come together that well really with poor cleanliness in the varnishing phase causing specks of dust to settle that look awful. There is also some silvering on the serial number which I am well monked off about as I used setting solutions as instructed. If you think this is a dogs breakfast the other Dakota has really gone tits up, I've lost a landing gear drag brace and the d-day stripes are just awful.

View attachment 109997

View attachment 109998

View attachment 109999

View attachment 110000

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This is looking awesome Rick I really like the finish on the olive drab. I have the italeri kit which I plan to do for my BBMF, I had built the Airfix kit but lost the landing light ( wing glass ) covers. I tried clear plastic but never worked so I kept for spares.

Will keep an eye on the finished product.

Very nice

Robert