Robert Cain VC - Arnhem 1944

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks guys. Next is one of my older busts whihc I started a few months ago nd will only get around to finishing this weekend - assuming it rains so I don't have to do anything in the garden!

Peter

Reactions: JR

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Think you have a talent for baking Peter.My wife said Wow thats a great cake.A really nice thing to give to your daughter.I used to enjoy baking but lost interest after being a cook a few uears ago.
Great stuff.
Richard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely cake Peter, my passion is cooking quick dishes Chinese stir fry...rice and 3 dishes...meat, veg and soup or egg in less than 30 mins so when the West invented fast food we Asians were wondering what that was all about. :thinking: :smiling6:

I degress...

Good to know Cain was once posted to Malaya before the war and perhaps Borneo after the war and had Jeremy Clarkson as a son in law (he should have gotten a second VC for that):smiling6:
Lovely work Peter.

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Richard - glad you wife liked the cake. It was quite stressful making it, but great fun.

Richard - i have only visited the Far East a few times but remember with fondness the fast food of Newton's Food Circus in Singapore and the street vendors in Bangkok. Great food, great memories.

You sre right that Cain was Clarkson's father-in-law, a few years ago he produced a documentary about Cain - here is a link to it on youtube:

Peter

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Congratulations on both Peter.
A bake off star in the making.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
I remember that documentary. The most telling point I thought was that despite being married to his daughter Clarkson didn’t know Cain had the VC until he saw it on the service sheet at Cain’s funeral.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Congratulations on both Peter.
A bake off star in the making.
Not quite, but it was nice to do something competey different - and tasty! I stand is awe of those on TV who make the really complicated cakes.

Peter

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard - glad you wife liked the cake. It was quite stressful making it, but great fun.

Richard - i have only visited the Far East a few times but remember with fondness the fast food of Newton's Food Circus in Singapore and the street vendors in Bangkok. Great food, great memories.

You sre right that Cain was Clarkson's father-in-law, a few years ago he produced a documentary about Cain - here is a link to it on youtube:

Peter
Peter, Newton Circus, that's where I normally park my car after entering Singapore, have a quick bite and take the MRT to Orchard Rd or Bugis Junction where my favorite model shops are located. I remember the documentary. Thanks

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Richard

I imagine it has changed since i first was there in 1984!

Peter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Mary Berry and Delia had better look out for the up and coming competition. Great cake and I'm sure it was appreciated.
The hero looks great. Nice to have choices and the final option is perhaps the nicest :thumb2:
Jim
I watched the Jeremy C documentary but didn't connect it to this until it was brought to light here.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

I imagine it has changed since i first was there in 1984!

Peter
The rest of Singapore has but Newton Circus hasn't changed much. The trees are much bigger but then Singapore maintains their greens very well.

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanks for the support guys, it was a long and sometimes frustrating project, but on the whole fun.

Peter

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovely work on the busts Peter. Luved the YT vid as well. Many thanks