Roberts Airfix 1/48 Junkers Ju 87B-1 Stuka

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have heard a lot of good things about the new Airfix Stuka and looking at your build, it would seem most of them are true.
It does look very good. And you are doing a great job of nailing it together!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I have decided even thoudh saying it's going to be OOB I couldn't resist doing a Stuka from the Russian front. I'll have lots to do and a few surprises up my sleeve. It's still going to be a B version
Thanks to Monica on here and her Siberia latest builds.

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well the build is now looking more like an Aircraft as it was destined to be. The lower wings were attached first according to instructions. I drilled the four holes in each wing for the external stores. Imleftoff the wing light till later as I want to put a blank in before the clear plastic to replicate the light.
The to wing places nicely with only a very fine gap needing filled so I used PVA to fill the line ( repeat if needed)
I trimmed the spats down to show the weight of the bomb load ( as they are in real photo examples )
I have built up the engine and trimmed down the spare prop and will display once painted up ( or may nave seperate
I may get a little more done tonight
Pics and comments welcome
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 10
D

dubster72

That all looks really good Robert, it's nice to see that Airfix haven't gouged out the panel lines as with many of their other new-tool offerings.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking real good,Robert,some nice work going on hear,;),liking what I do see,
and so glad that you can get inspiration,form ,my work,:smiling3:

I have seen pic,and read ,I real forget were,that with the stuka,on the front line,with
the mud and snow,that ,they did remove the guards,as they would get clogged up,
and add weight to them,so it maybe some think to look into doing,it set on the front lines, :rolleyes:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
looking real good,Robert,some nice work going on hear,;),liking what I do see,
and so glad that you can get inspiration,form ,my work,:smiling3:

I have seen pic,and read ,I real forget were,that with the stuka,on the front line,with
the mud and snow,that ,they did remove the guards,as they would get clogged up,
and add weight to them,so it maybe some think to look into doing,it set on the front lines, :rolleyes:

Well spotted there Monica on the Spatz and a very good piece of info too.
My version will be a B-2 which still retained the spats and had the early white wash camo ( don't tell everyone as it's a surprise
With the invasion of Russia ( Barbarossa ) the Stuka squadrons all came from units involved in the Battle of Britain/ also units from Norway/Germany ( surviving units ) from my research the Stuka operated ahead of the advancing troops and occupied the retreating Russian bases. I believe the spats started disappearing in late 41/ 42 as the weather set in pretty nasty.
All my ref on the later G2 with 3.7cm cannon pods all seem to be without the spats.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
so glad to,be of some help,As I have never seen someone build them without,
As it was meant to be a front line,attack plane,the less maintenance the better and the quicker ,
to refuel,and arm ,the better,;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just caught up with this one robert, it looks a cracking kit and youre doing a fantastic job of it. The cpckpit and IP look excellent cant wait to see the winter camo , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming on very well.
Can you get under carriage for a Ju 87 with out spats? That would be kind of cool. I've seen them om ski's but never one without the spats.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Coming on very well.
Can you get under carriage for a Ju 87 with out spats? That would be kind of cool. I've seen them om ski's but never one without the spats.

Hi Ian I have experimented with making my own landing gear struts as thought it would make a difference to the setting but after looking for after market I never came up with anything that would suit
I chose a mark that retained spats ( B-2 )
Still with splinter cell camo bug with s white wash over ( this will test my airbrush skills ( that I don't have )

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Robert, very nice work on the cockpit area

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well sorry for the delays but I've been ill with the man flu big time ( really knocked me for 6)
Well slowly getting better I thought why not get back to the bench a little.
Now I had decided to do a winter Russian B2 with a temp white wash over the standard splinter RLM 70/71 over 65.
Well when I ordered my extra decals from ( Xtradecal) I realised after recurring them that I had ordered the wrong ones.
Not to worry I thought. I have found a new mark that I can achieve that actually got to Russia!! ( just not in the winter camo that I originally intended ( easier work for me poss ??
My progress with the build pics
Next is grey primer then I'll start on the pre shading
Thanks for looking
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 6

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I've just finished Priming with Stynylerez and I have to say the Stuka looks all good ( few areas I need to address but on the whole a very nice finish in my books.
I don't know if this has been said before but the Germans built a bloody good looking aircraft really in the Stuka back in the day ( OK it had its faults,was not fast it was not well armed but it did a purpose, and looking over the lines etc Airfix have made a very nice looking representation of the Aircraft.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
D

dubster72

Can't argue with any of that Robert! It was so ugly, that it was beautiful!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well got the preshading done ( not as neat as I would have liked but then again it's not the top coat ( just the grime/ shadows eh)
I then made a thin mix of Model Air 71:008 Hellblau ( RLM 65 ( Fs35414) and did several passes over the undersides to attain the right colour and shade I am looking for.
Comments welcome
Robert
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Coming along nicely.
Shame that the winter camouflage never got to the version you are now doing.
Have fun with the splinter camo.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Coming along nicely.
Shame that the winter camouflage never got to the version you are now doing.
Have fun with the splinter camo.

I'll do some more reaerarch Ian abs look for some Luftwaffe lettering and unit emblems. Your right it's a shame that one error means to put off original idea
Onwards with camo

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Before I attempt to tart the splinter cell camo I have decided to try something first ( Haispray tech )
I have randomly where I believe heavy weathering and poss chipping would occur.
To this end I have chose a dull Alluminium and spotted over the top half of the aircraft. I will then spray decanted Hairspray over this.
I have taken some pics so I know later where to apply the cotton bud and water to rub off the top splinter camo.
Hope it works.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg