Roberts Dragon 1/35 SU 100

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi guys well back off my wee jaunt I intend to start on this in the next few days.
This will be my first entry and if I get time I'll do my SU 85 ( Miniart
I chose thus gif the extra detail metal barrel etc

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hoping to make a dent in this kit today but first I have to go watch Dunkirk and see if it's as good as they claim. I'm hoping they honour the brave that did so much in the first of their finest hours

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
It looks a very nice kit Robert

That is Ian it's the premier edition and comes with metal barrel and lots of PE ( got a Pe blender on order from John so this tool may help me make a fret look good ( or the modeller eh )
As a dragon kit goes there's not that much excess waste for the spares bin.
We shall see tough.
I got a nice tool from trumpeter for my Zimmerit yesterday so I may try that on my test Su122 ( I know Russians never used it but as a test piece it could look ok
From my reads the Zimmerit coating was put on the German tanks to stop the Russians Using their magnetic me news
I'm looking forward to building this

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I made a little dent this evening with the SU 100
Did I tell you I hate Dragon instructions ( sorry mad moment ) somewhat misleading but heho
The wheels on the SU are very well detailed and wil look even better once painted and weathered.
The whole kit seems to be very well detailed with nice crisp places. There is a lot of PE ( more than I'm used to so not sure I wil use all of it yet
The casting around the main weapon is nicely done too
Progress pics
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 0

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
My first hurdle with the dragon destructions was the idler wheel axle as the parts A6 ( both sides are the same number
There is no guide pin to place this in the exact angle that you need so it's down to guesstimation and measurements.
Looking at pictures and ref the tracks touch all the road wheels but with a slight incline at the return roller so this is what I have judged to be correct before I committed to glue. Both sides are identical so I had to measure three times to make sure it was right. I hope my pics and example explain better
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
After doing some wheel measurements I decided to do a few track strips base and top layer
I will do more which will include the return roller and drive sprocket tracks
The magic tracks are really lovely abd no issues were found
On the hull I have put in the rear of the fighting compartments ( with a hatch I will leave open
Dragon have given two options here so I chose the one with hatch open.
Also I used the PE grille which comes with kit and there's a PE frame that goes over this.
This was CE in place
Pics of updates
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

T

tommy1drop

Coming along a treat Robert, nice work with the pe engine grill, sets it off very nicely ;)

Looking forward to seeing the next update.:smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well after a hellish couple of shifts at work came home and nice Bronco comet awaiting me ( woo hoo )
So after having a good look at it I thought nope put the model away get on with what your doing
Did some measurements and made up some lengths for the idlers and the drive sprockets and have tethered in place to grab the shape.
I have two on the tank and two I did a little earlier
These will be left for the next few days to set compleatly before they head to the paint shop
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Other update tonight
I did the side air vents with PE supplied
Got the front hull placed in and a few hooks etc
Then I started on the drivers hatch which as 3 pieces of PE on
I scrapped the plastic imitation handle off and replaced
There is a vision scope in there as well ( clear ) so I dabbed it with humbrol maskol to protect from painting later
Oh I even got use my new PE Bender from John at Scale Model Shop
That's it for today
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Update
After yesterday's track success I have decided to carry on with the build. Today it has been all about fiddly bits and bobs PE mainly, clips brackets etc
I'm really putting my new PE gender to full use.
The periscopes on the commanders and loaders hatch have been assembled abd given a dot of maskol
Dragon instructions are still a little vague and don't tell you all you need to do
There are 2 bolt on Armout plates in th kit you need to attach but there's no instruction to do so
I noted a nice touch in the PE ( a mini bow saw ) never ew the Russians carried them on there tanks as tools
I have also taken the decision to not go all the way with the PE as scraping off a half mm bracket to repace with PE I found annoying when I did one piece, ping the clip flew never to be seen again ( carpet monster got that
Later I hope to start laying some primer down
I'm deciding whether to use the metal barrel or not as thr plastic barrel looks very good too
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5
T

tommy1drop

Really liking this build Robert, and especially the saw, coming along a treat mate;)