Ron's 'Anti-Aircraft' 2018 G.B. suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cool, I'll try and fit an AA gun in the mix.
Isuspect I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Can the AA gun featured not be pointing at the sky?
Cheers
P
Not sure what you mean, Paul. But if what you're planning fits in with the initial do's and dont's (Designed and produced to bring down aircraft) then it can have a bucket(s) hung over the barrel(s) if you want.
What I don't want is knocked together stuff on the back of a pickup, supported by a pallet, sort of thing. The subject must be 'Built for purpose'.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
.....................Now 6 maybe's.:smiling3:

I don't care much for time scales for member's suggestion builds, so, if there are enough takers for this, how about starting and finishing as, and when it suits the builder? As long as it's during 2018 of course!
As much as I agree with the thought, let's not start down that road please.
I know that these builds are on a perpetual calendar but it makes it a lot easier for all with a date they can write on the wall.
Start date 1/1/18 duration of 12 months?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I don't have a kit in the stash, good excuse to buy this:

Screenshot_20171010-201214.png
I like Meng kits, and I haven't done a post WW2 German AFV build yet. :smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Not sure what you mean, Paul. But if what you're planning fits in with the initial do's and dont's (Designed and produced to bring down aircraft) then it can have a bucket(s) hung over the barrel(s) if you want.
What I don't want is knocked together stuff on the back of a pickup, supported by a pallet, sort of thing. The subject must be 'Built for purpose'.
What I'd like to build is a flak 37 (designed as an AA gun) but used as an anti tank gun. I intend to build only the gun, carriage and crew but the barrel would be aimed at the horizon not st something at 15,000'. Does this still meet the criteria? I think it still does
Cheers
P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What I'd like to build is a flak 37 (designed as an AA gun) but used as an anti tank gun. I intend to build only the gun, carriage and crew but the barrel would be aimed at the horizon not st something at 15,000'. Does this still meet the criteria? I think it still does
Cheers
P

The very fact that it is a flak cannon, also known as anti-aircraft gun, I would say yes. It was designed to shoot aircraft down. Just like 88. That too was a flak cannon that saw wide use as an anti tank gun.
For the sake of the build you could just point it at the sky, or ..... Being towed....

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The flak 37 is an 88mm gun. But my point is I will be building it in AT mode. I know it"s an AA gun but does this use still fit the 'spirit' of the GB? I have very particular reasons for building it this way otherwise I'd rather build another AA gun/vehicle or concentrate on the other 2 GBs. I know by definition it should be included, but depicted this way it doesn't seem to fit the essence of the GB. OR, maybe that's part of the GB meaning - AA guns used in any way?
On the face of it I'm with you Ian but as its Ron's suggestion I just wanted to check this was ok.
Thanks

Paul

J

Jens Andrée

I will join the Flak team unless it collides with the Panther build, if it happens?
I've already got a couple of ideas, but only one bonkers one so I think I'm going to have to head over to eBay right now and update ye olde stash in preparation! ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
@tr1ckey66 If you feel that it is not right then maybe it isn't the one for this build... But maybe some one could suggest an anti tank gun build....;)
@spanner570 I will let you have the final call on this. :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K. Sorry Paul, I appreciate your choice is a multi-purpose weapon, but as it's specifically an Anti Aircraft G.B. I would prefer it to keep it as such. Agreeing to your request might just open up all sorts of inclusion 'Debates'.
If it goes ahead, I want this G.B. build to be uncomplicated and straight forward.

I note in your reply to Ian, you would be quite happy to build a different A.A. gun/vehicle. So you could still enter the G.B. with your alternative kit, and build your A.T.88 separately in another thread....:smiling3:
We will have all year.
I hope you are not too miffed with my decision, and hopefully, can see my reasoning behind it.

In view of the above, my question must be - Are you still going to join our merry band?

To clear things up a bit for those thinking of joining in, I've amended the 'rules' of participation.

Cheers,
Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
O.K. Sorry Paul, I appreciate your choice is a multi-purpose weapon, but as it's specifically an Anti Aircraft G.B. I would prefer it to keep it as such. Agreeing to your request might just open up all sorts of inclusion 'Debates'.
If it goes ahead, I want this G.B. build to be uncomplicated and straight forward.

I note in your reply to Ian, you would be quite happy to build a different A.A. gun/vehicle. So you could still enter the G.B. with your alternative kit, and build your A.T.88 separately in another thread....:smiling3:
We will have all year.
I hope you ( and perhaps others too) are not too miffed with my decision, and hopefully, can see my reasoning behind it.

In view of the above, my question must be - Are you still going to join our merry band?

To clear things up a bit for those thinking of joining in, I've amended the 'rules' of participation.

Cheers,
Ron

Thanks Ron
I suspected as much which is why I raised the question. And your answer is as I thought it would be. I'm not miffed in the slightest, and I do have other AA kits I could build: Mobelwagen, 20mm flak, flakvierling on a rail flat wagon, Bofors and gun tractor... the list goes on.
The question of whether I can take part really depends on the timing of the GB (sorry if I've missed this detail). If the timings are right I'm in!
Cheers P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers for that Paul.
I'm glad you understand my reasoning, and the last thing I would have wanted would be to have upset you in any way....

As for timing, I am thinking of simply a 1st Jan - 31 Dec. build. This will allow the maximum scope for participants to start the G.B., as and when they can slot it in.

....so based on the huge time scale, can I count you in?

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Last few times I've tried to do something at my modelling bench, I've had one of these on my shoulder and the other on the bench:

Both 230917.JPG

Assuming they've grown out of that, I'll have a tilt at this:

IMGP2396.JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Can we regard you as a definite 'In' then, Dave?
...cats an' all!

Status
Not open for further replies.