Ron's...."It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, Ma"

C

CDW

well there's another couple of ideas i'm gonna nick :smiling3: :smiling3:

Totally inovative and awesome as per usual Ron !!!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas for the great posts on this build, all good stuff....

Here's my go at a waterfall.

Having never attempted moving water before, I had a play with various materials until I tried this one.....Take one very small bore hosepipe.....

I'm totally and utterly chuffed to bits how it came out. Ahm Smokin'! It even has a reflection and at last the depth of the pool can be seen more clearly!

Bit more to do on the splash, the pool and the exit stream, but I'm well happy thus far.....

Wadda ya think?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 47926

View attachment 47927

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 024.jpg

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 023.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
All u need now is a blond bird washing her hair under it..top work bud

Geegad

D

dubster72

Wow that's class Ron! I think yet another tutorial is needed!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the great comment boys.

In the three years or so I've been doing dioramas, this has been the most satisfying result I have ever obtained when experimenting with stuff.

Sorry to go on, but I'm as excited as a Jap in a camera shop!

In the words of George Peppard, the Colonel in the 'A Team'...."Don't you love it when a plan come right?"

Ron

C

CDW

just said "what do you think of that" to my partner elaine, she thought it was a photo of a waterfall.

she's mighty impressed ron, and it takes a lot to impress a scots lass :smiling3: :smiling3:

M

mobear

W.........O............W now thats impressive ron,if i wore a hat i would take it off to you

mobear

T

tommy1drop

Looks amazing Ron, going to stick around to see more of this build buddy.

Tom

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Take one very small bore hosepipe.....Ron
Ah c'mon Ron! You just took your small hose and connected it to the tap didn't you?

If you didn't, for the sake of our sanity, tell us what you did! Please!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First off, sorry fellas for the late reply to your posts, just ain't been near a computer for days.....

Colin, don't you just luuuurve a woman with taste?lol

Ole, thanks for your post too. Same goes for you Tom.

Dave, you'll have to stay 'puddled' a while longer!

No progress until today.....I've added a bit more 'life' to the waterfall and added a second, smaller one too.

I have made a start on the greenery, so into 'our' lane I go tomorrow to find some foliage.

Here's the only up to date picture. I hope you approve.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 48593

It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, ma 026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this one Ron the waterfall is just outstanding please please please spill the beans on how you did it

M

mobear

lovely improvement on what is spectacular in the first place

mobear

D

DavidCee

Hi Ron, looking forward to your dio... are you planning on using real water... or just being static. Was just a thought really... :o ) Good luck, looks great from here (artistically non-talented at present!).

Cheers

C

CDW

\ said:
Colin, don't you just luuuurve a woman with taste?lol
If you saw my face for radio you'd wonder if she had any taste at all :smiling3: :smiling3:

\ said:
please please please spill the beans
Don't think begging will speed up Ron spilling them beans ... think we'll have to wait till the finished dio .... tactics an' all you know ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just come in from the currant bun and read your posts............!

Thanks all for your encouraging comments on this build.....

David, if anyone on here resorted to using real water, we would be lined up against a wall and shot or a least drummed out of the Brownies!!

O.K. fellas, you got me!

I was trying my darndest to leave the waterfall 'till the end, but now Eccles Cakes, begging, bribery and physical abuse has been discussed amongst my learned colleagues, I feel it is best to come clean and reveal all..............

I did it with clear silicone sealant. The stuff you seal around baths ect. with. I chanced on the idea when I removed some clingfilm from the nozzel of a tube of silicone and peeled the 'snot' off......Eurika!!!!

Here are the stages:-

1) Get some clingfilm and lay it on a flat surface. Put some weights on each corner to keep it reasonably smooth and prevent it lifting. Depending on the lenght of the waterfall, squeeze a straight bead of silicone onto the clingfilm....Butt the next bead up to the first and so on until the right width of waterfall is reached. You should end up with something that looks like see-through corrugated card board.

2) This is the tricky bit.....Wait until the stuff is going off (Tacky) Then using a sharp something, dip it in water and gently stroke down the silicone to break the beads up a bit.

3) Leave a couple of hours or overnight then carefully peel your beautiful waterfall from the clingfilm...........Job done. Now wasn't that easy??

Just make sure you all turn up at Cosford next year, armed with loads of Eccles Cakes!

After this build is complete, would the mods be kind enough to move this post to the 'How to'? Thanks.

Cheers all,

Ron

Here are the picture stages:-

View attachment 48614

View attachment 48615

View attachment 48616

Rons how to do this and that 029.jpg

Rons how to do this and that 027.jpg

Rons how to do this and that 028.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hoggatt

I was expecting you to say it was the woodlands scenic stuff..

The silicone looks just as good and im sure it was alot cheaper..

shane

C

CDW

well I'll be buggered. I've used silicon sealant for water before loads of times.... never looked like that though..... all in the technique then eh Ron! :smiling3: :smiling3: