Ron's...."It 'aint all bad here in 'nam, Ma"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys....

Shane, apart from this stuff, I never buy anything for dios. ( Haven't enough spare dosh anyway)..... Nature provides all I want for free!.... And nothing imitation comes close to the real thing.lol

No special technique Colin, get in the shed and have a play.......It really is easy.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Ron. I would never have guessed that clear silicon would of dried so clear and bright! Top tip.

With regard to moving the post to the how to section. Easier said than done AND keep you as the author.

If you can, just copy the relevant info and past it in to a new post in the section. Failing that just start the post and I will copy it over for you... ;)

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian, glad you like the water tip and I hope someone finds use for it in the future......

Re. the moving of the post, I will sort something out in a few day's time, and thanks for the offer of help.

Ron

C

CDW

Does the latest sealant stuff still thin down with celulose thinnners Ron?

the old type stuff did ... thats how i used to do puddles, streams and ponds on railway dioramas for a few mates and then went on to use it in D&D role play as magic fountains etc.

If it still mixes and sets (i haven't got any tinners here to try) then you could add this on to your "how-to" if you want.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late reply Colin.....

To be honest I've never used thinners.....Didn't even know you could!lol

The stuff I use is just ordinary silicone sealer. I just wonder if adding thinners would make the silicone too runny and prevent forming of the stuff into the desired shape?

To be honest, I'm quite happy with the straight from the tube consistancy, but I'll still have a test dabble with some thinners, mind!

Good tip and one that definitely should go into the 'How to'...... Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Ron

C

CDW

\ said:
I just wonder if adding thinners would make the silicone too runny and prevent forming of the stuff into the desired shape?
I used to make it a little runny for ponds and streams etc as it "self-levelled" quicker ... didn't notice any difference in curing time as i left it over night ... the addition of thinners meant you could add a touch of colour to it ... celulose car paint was available by way of my mates spray shop .... Ford light blue got a hammering i'll tell ya :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Just had a look in Ron (been lazy).

Magical your water effort that is very clever.

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Belated thanks Laurie for your post, I'm glad you like the water.....

O.k. just managed to get this SIG finished in time.

Thanks to all for your input during the build, I appreciate your taking the time to post.

The finished mini diorama is over in completed.....at least it will be this evening!

Cheers all,

Ron