Ron's 'No Frills' Brush Painting.

T

Topcat

Thank you for this, I do brush painting and airbrushing. Will try some of your tips. Great.

First Name
Kevin
Hi Ron your thread on brush painting is really informative and very useful. With me being new to kit building I think brush painting is the thing for me.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excellent post Ron, easy to understand and will attack the ship with a hairy stick with more confidence. Theres always the mighty roller ;)

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry Ron, a ??

Whats the best practice regarding brush painting with masking tape ie a ships boot topping?

Thanks bob

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Bob, sorry I can't help with your question. I don't use masking tape. I paint them free hand. I'm too scared the paint might lift off when
it would come time to removing the tape!
I draw the lines for the boot topping or any hull demarcation line with a pencil, then paint the line freehand with a small flat headed brush, or if really narrow, a very small fine pointed one.

If you fancy a go, here's a picture of how I mark around the hull.
Make sure the hull is level and true, then set the pencil at the right height. In the picture it's resting on a small plastic 'Box', then mark around the hull. Re- set your boot topping depth and around the hull you go again. Then paint between the parallel pencil lines.

Obviously this example isn't a boot topping, but the principal is the same.
P1270204.JPG

Once again, sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure the lads will be along toot sweet with the answer you require.

Cheers,
Ron

First Name
Gyorgy
Hi Ron, this guide is an eye opener especially for for a beginner! Thanks!

How long do you usually wait between applying layers?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron, this guide is an eye opener especially for for a beginner! Thanks!

How long do you usually wait between applying layers?

Thanks Gyorgy, I'm glad it is of some use.

In order to answer your question, I can only write of my own experiences, as I'm sure other people will have a different opinion.

As I apply the layers of paint thinly, I can usually get away with half an hour, at most an hour, between acrylic coats. On the rare occasion I use enamels, the overcoating has to wait overnight! Also, the waiting time obviously varies with air temperature etc.

Can I politely request if folks wish to air their own views and their ways of approaching this subject, can they start a new thread? This will leave this one nice and uncluttered. Thank you.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited: