Ron's Tamiya 1/35 Panther Ausf. A - With home made zimmerit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
As an aircraft builder we spend ages getting things smooth. Then I see this zim' stuff. And I'm slightly jealous.................

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
'scuse me, you smoothy aeroplane types, but there is a bit of effort in the process.

.....or. as they say in certain quarters - 'Up Yours!':tongue-out3:

Lots of love.

Enid Blyton (Ret)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks great Ron ,real do like it so far :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your interest and support folk.

This weather has it's advantages - A good excuse to be at the bench.

I've finally got the coating behind me - Thank gawd! The round thingy on the turret front was a real pain to do.

Here is the result, ready for a final all over coat of dk. yellow on the upper hull, turret etc., before I add the bits.

I've added the vinyl tracks and started to introduce the 'sag'. You can see the track join by the drive sprocket. This will be nicely hidden by the skirts.
P1190355.JPG

P1190356.JPG

.....yes, I know it was to be an OOB build, but I couldn't resist making the side skirt whatsits.
P1190357.JPG

Cheers all.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your support and input, Ian. I appreciate it.

I've added the skirts ( I can't spell sureitzun, let alone pronounce it!) and stuck on some small joining brackets - all made from thin plastic card.

It's all supposed to be OOB, so I appologise for that, but we all need a bit of a challenge in life, hence the add on's.

Here is the result. For a bit of fun, variation and to see a bit of the tracks, I've omitted some of the skirts.

P1190371.JPG

P1190370.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Cheers.
Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's a fair facsimile of Zimmerit you've got there.
How resilient is the pollyfilla to knocks etc. Isn't it really brittle?
Cheers
P

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.

Paul - I'm very happy you consider my attempt at zimmerit'ing "A fair facsimile." Thank you.
After a bit of experimenting, it's a strong mix, and holds up well enough for purpose - I don't know how it would react to knocks. That reads a bit abrupt, doesn't it? It's not meant to, and I hope it goes some way to answering your questions.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Camouflage painted on with Vallejo Model Air acrylics, using a small flat headed brush. I didn't use a pencil to outline the pattern, I just sort of made it up as I went along.

The green first....
P1190373.JPG

P1190374.JPG

Brown added....
P1190375.JPG

P1190376.JPG

Top shot.
P1190377.JPG

Ready for toning down a bit.

The camouflage was usually/ sometimes/ perhaps/ never/ maybe painted in the field, either by paint brush, yard brush, sweaty sock or spray.
The patterns were down to the individual tastes (Good, bad or Poor), artistic licence/ in a hurry or plenty of time - Perhaps not.
Of the 6000 odd produced, perhaps more, perhaps less, I wouldn't think there would be any two painted alike. There again perhaps/maybe there was....No one can state for absolute 100% certainty. However, perhaps there is someone on the planet who was around at the time, and saw all the Panthers ever made.

I think the above leaves me on reasonably safe ground...... :upside::thumb2: .....There again....

Cheers all.
Ron

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
thats what i like about WW2 german stuff......follow a few rules on colour and dont over do it and no one can tell you its wrong :smiling5:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks very nice Ron,do real like the zimm has turned out so well,:smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your nice comments and continuing support folks. I appreciate it.

My last post, although a bit of fun, will hopefully serve to keep any potential 'Rivet Counters' at arms length. Although, mercifully they are a rare breed on S.M.

Next up, more bits, and the decals - and who knows what else might pop up.....

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Bob - Mind you, I've had buckets full of years to practice.....and still not been tempted to get an A.B. Long may I hold out!

An update :-
Decals added, the whole model toned down with a brushed on, overall coat of yeller. Then the tools added. I glued the tools in place on the frame first, then painted them. Nothing worse than painting first, and then watch your luuurvelly paintwork bubble up when you glue the bits on.

P1190378.JPG

P1190379.JPG

Here's how the back end is shaping up. The left hand track looks a bit wonky, it's just the camera angle - Honest!
P1190382.JPG

I've knocked the turret M.G. off twice now, so it's staying off until the last minute!

Next up is the weathering proper.

Cheers.
Ron

First Name
Richard
Great build so far Ron, really like your zimmerit very realistic.

Cheers
Richi

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been having a look at Panther images and discovered they carried loads of different 'extras', which I've decided to add from my spares box, so as the model is nearly finished, I'll leave it at this stage, and post the end result soon.
Thanks for the posts and support.

Cheers.
Ron

bazers

SMF Supporter
First Name
barry
Ron I think life's to short to add zimm ,!!!.