Ron's Winter G.B Sniper..."Flush 'im out, now!"... A 1/72 diorama.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi everyone,

Here is my entry for this winter's G.B.

I hit on the idea whilst re-watching 'Band of Brothers' the epic T.V. series.

It is the part where Blyth is told to go and check out an old farm house in the woods and is shot in the neck by a sniper.

This will be a very loose interpretation of that incident. My emphisis will be on making the buildings, as close as I am able, to what I imagine an abandoned 1944 French farm would have looked like and will be a pure figment of my imagination....

I had intended to get hold of a set of U.S. Paratroopers as depicted in the series, but none were good enough so I have gone with infantry instead.

The players, all in 1/72:-

1 superb set of Caesar miniature WWII U.S Army figures.

I figure (the sniper) suitably altered from my Revell Deutsche Artillerie WWII set of figures

I have also gathered 3 polystyrene pizza bases for the farm building!!

On the face of it not very exciting, but I hope the end product will be a success.

So here's to Oct. 1st.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 38294

Winter G.B...Sniper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Polux

Hi Ron!!

Sounds a fantastic dio!!! It can't be...all you will built yours builds!!! I feel poor one!!

I hope to see a lot of pics of this one!!

Regards

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sounds like you have got a good plan there Ron. 1/72 scale. Been to specsavers of late?

I look forwards to seeing the farm being built.

Ian M

G

Greg147

Sounds like it'll be a good one, Ron. It'll be interesting to see how you alter the artillery figure to create the sniper. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out ;)

J

John Huggins

Sounds wicked to me Ron i will keep an eye on this one, nice.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Ron's makin' buildings, nice one. And i know the scene you're talking about to mate. Looking forward to this.

Have fun. John

R

rogue-one

hi ron. yeah, that's a good scene. its the guy "mark warren" from "hustle". made sigh and say "ohhhh no", when it happened. the whole episode builds u up to make u like the character. sad. but yeah, this will make a great dio, and can wait it see what u cook up.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments boys...

Bobby, I'm looking forward to tomorrow to be able to start the build....but it will look nothing like that scene, it just gave me an idea....

Incidently, I don't know if you are aware but the bloke who was actually shot, unfortunately died from his wounds some two years after the incident.

Cheers,

Ron

R

rogue-one

ohh ave done it again! my mates say i always do it when talking in the pub and now here ave done it on a forum! ave ruined the episode for people that havn't watched it! sorry.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all, I made a bit of a start today.... out in the current bun 'till late afternoon cutting and painting. What a great few day's we are having, eh?!

Here's the progress today:-

I have decided on a derelict farm house and barn, plus out buildings.

I have started making the roof trusses out of a pizza base. It is cut from one piece. The wood grain effect was made using the model knife blade.

I am going to have a perimeter wall around the farm to form a yard, so I have started to make these, likewise out of the pizza base.

When I came to paint the things, I noticed that ordinary artists water colours wouldn't touch the stuff, so I had to use my Vallejo acrylics for a base coat then the artist's paint worked fine.....strange as both are water based..

Also I sat in the nice weather and made a paper template for the house. I haven't scaled anything as such, as I find it too much faff, I just used a 1/72 figure and messed about until it looked in proportion.

That's it for now, not a lot but it's a start!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 38458

View attachment 38459

View attachment 38460

View attachment 38461

View attachment 38462

View attachment 38463

View attachment 38464

Winter G.B...Sniper 007.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 001.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 002.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 003.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 004.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 005.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 006.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That wall looks the mutts Ron. What You can do with a pizza box never ceases to amaze me!'

I am wondering if its time to stop making my own pizzas and buying them just to get the boxes!!!

Great start!

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chap for the encouraging comments, there is of course a down side to this scratch building lark.....To get the bases, I'm eating far too many pizzas than is good for me, and I'm not that fussed about them either! lol

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Eyup ron! Superb stuff in store for us with this one. Cant wait to see the building take shape , the wall is absolutely fantastic! loving the truss too. I reckon your polystyrene wall technique gives a far better result than the pre moulded buildings you can buy. Cheers tony

R

rogue-one

nice one ron. that wall is amazing. and the roof frame looks so real. great stuff

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that Tony, I appreciate the compliment, very flattering, you ow'd softy!

Nice comments from you too Bobby, thanks.

I have made a start on the farm house. I don't think it is neccessary to show all the walls of the house, so I have just chosen one to show my method of doing things.....

I have decided to eventually attach the barn to this gable end of the house. I have left the gable showing the stone work and done a strip of cement render along it. The reason being, I would suspect with there perhaps being animals inside, the farmer would want to make the walls easier to clean than bare stone...The rest of the house will be rendered.

Curious as to how long it would take, I timed myself. Just going steady it took 1 hour to complete. I have included this bit, not for self gratification, but to show what can be achieved with this stuff in a quite a short time.

Anyway here are the stages of the build:-

Mark from paper template and cut out shape.

Scribe stonework, cracks and lintols ect.

Sealer coat of acrylic paint.

Subsequent coats for toning and highlights.

Final coat and dusting.

That's it so far....

Thanks for looking,

Ron

P.S. Sorry for the state of my fingers, they really are clean!!!!!!

View attachment 38505

View attachment 38506

View attachment 38507

View attachment 38508

View attachment 38509

View attachment 38510

Winter G.B...Sniper 014.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 008.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 009.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 011.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 012.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 013.jpg

J

John Huggins

Wicked Ron, what pizza base do u use i cant think of one with that cind of base.

Loving it

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks John, sorry I should have mentioned it. It's the polystyrene base the pizza sits on in the packaging...It's about 3mm thick and fits a 9" pizza!!

Here is a picture of one when I did my first go at this sort of thing....1/35 German Farm.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/tutorials/13408-making-1-35-german-farm-buidings-pizza.html

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
To save you putting on to much weight Ron, have you looked at the soundproofing underlays for laminate floorings. Looks like the same stuff, just thicker. I even think you can get it in several thicknesses. Each "tile" is about 100 x 70 cm.

Love the gable to the farm house.

Ian M