Ron's Winter G.B Sniper..."Flush 'im out, now!"... A 1/72 diorama.

P

Polux

Hi Ron!!

That's looking really good so far!! Beautyful farm!!

Have fun

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, thanks for the post on soundproofing underlay, I will have a scout for some and have a look for some when I do my next building....

Thank you Polux for your kind comments.

Here is a bit more progress.

The Farm house walls(Flat packed!) One chimney and one wood store. A bit more weathering and perhaps alter a thing or two, but the basics are there.

Next, the house roof, then I will start the barn.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

Just noticed...I haven't staggered two rows of tiles....Hey ho, sack the roofer!!!!!

View attachment 38638

View attachment 38639

View attachment 38640

Winter G.B...Sniper 060.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 061.jpg

Winter G.B...Sniper 062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Incidently, I don't know if you are aware but the bloke who was actually shot, unfortunately died from his wounds some two years after the incident.
Luckily it's a hollywood myth. Infact he was an outstanding soldier

Albert Blithe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for correcting my info. Allyne...bit embarrassing dishing out duff gen....sorry all!

Good to see, although he still died suddenly, he still managed another twenty odd years more than his ex buddies and Ambrose thought!

Thanks again Al',

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all,

As you can see from my earlier post, the farm house is going ahead nicely, so I have turned to the figures for a bit of a break....

The 1/72 figures from Caeser Miniatures, a Taiwanese company, are superb, no trimming, which being soft plastic I was dreading! The detail for such a small scale is great.

Here is one from the 40 figure, twelve different poses set. Still a bit of weathering and fettling to do on him, but I am well impressed with the quality.

I won't be using all the figures, just the ones best suited to the diorama.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 38765

Winter G.B...Sniper 063.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron ,you flanneller!! All this time youve been telling us you cant do small detail, then you show us this! Top work mate , glad to see theyre better than the old airfix 1/72 polythene jobbies weve both had (bad!)experience of eh! I reckon this foray into miniature world will soon see you doing some 1/144 stuff!!. Great job on the figure , looking forward to seeing the dio progress, cheers mate tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron. Been watching this and I've been well impressed so far. Even more so now I've seen what you're doing with those tiny figures!

I've got some of the Valiant figures in 1/72; although they're apparently over scale for use with other figures. Like your Caesar ones, there is very little clean up needed, but being hard plastic that shouldn't be a problem and the level of detail is really excellent. I just hope I can get 'em looking as good as yours!

Gern

First Name
Andy
Hi Ron,

WOW Sir, do you have Bionic eyes, the soldier & building looks fantastic...:score:

May I ask how did you do the paint on the building please...

Many thanks...

Andy...

P

Polux

Really nice Sir!! The figure and the farm looks so good!!

I'm so hungry to see all this dio, I'm sure will be a interesting one!!

Regards

Polux

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all the encouraging replies chaps, I appreciate them...

Tony, wot's a 'flanneller'? It sounds very rude and I shouldn't be doing it!! (I know what it means really)

Although still soft plastic, isn't it called polyethelyene? the figures are so well made there is hardly any mould lines worth a carrot, and what are, have been well hidden by the sculptor.

I did have a quiet look at the 1/144, 2 for 1 Sweet kits...very tempted!

Dave, my Grandson has some Valliant figures. I must confess I don't like them. They look like miniature apes in stature and have awful faces. In fairness this was when these first came out, so perhaps they have been improved.....

Polux and Andy, What's with the 'Sir'! I'm only a thick old joiner (ret.)!!lol

Andy, the walls are very easy to paint and similar in principal to washes on aircraft models..

Using well thinned acrylics, not much thicker than water, get hold of the 'wall' tilt it at around 45 degrees and starting at the top with a well loaded brush, paint horizontally from the top, working your way down. Don't be fussy, work quickly and keep the brush well filled with paint, otherwise you will end up with just vertical streaks. You will see the paint go into all the imperfections of the material as it flows downwards.

Once dry, you can then play around adding different shades and colours as you see fit...

Nothing clever really, the paint does it for you!

Thanks again chaps,

Ron

First Name
Andy
Hi Ron,

Many thanks for the information Sir, I've never done things such as this so every bit of info is gratefully received...

Andy...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
no trimming, which being soft plastic I was dreading!
There has been a recent fad,started by Tamiya (I think) and perpetuated by Trumpeter amongst others to put 'rubber' tyres in their aircraft kits made from a soft plastic. These invariably do have mold lines. The best way to sand them off is to give the tyre a few hours in the freezer before doing the work. It might work for soft plastic figures as well should the need arise.

Great work on the buildings as usual Ron,I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Polux and Andy, What's with the 'Sir'! I'm only a thick old joiner (ret.)!!lolAndy, the walls are very easy to paint and similar in principal to washes on aircraft models..

Using well thinned acrylics, not much thicker than water, get hold of the 'wall' tilt it at around 45 degrees and starting at the top with a well loaded brush, paint horizontally from the top, working your way down. Don't be fussy, work quickly and keep the brush well filled with paint, otherwise you will end up with just vertical streaks. You will see the paint go into all the imperfections of the material as it flows downwards.

Once dry, you can then play around adding different shades and colours as you see fit...

Nothing clever really, the paint does it for you!

Thanks again chaps,

Ron
Hi Ron,

It's just a sign of respect that's all, it's how I was brought up, plus, it's the ex Forces coming out of me I think, I do not mean any disrespect by it...

Andy...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank's for the positive comments Steve and the freezer tip.

As I type, I have half a dozen very cold 1/72 U.S. Infantry stamping their feet in my freezer! Although as I have posted there are hardly any mould lines there are some faint ones, and I am interested to see how your tip works out....

Got to go, I can here some rifle butts banging somewhere!

Thanks for posting your tip...

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,It's just a sign of respect that's all, it's how I was brought up, plus, it's the ex Forces coming out of me I think, I do not mean any disrespect by it...

Andy...
No disrespect taken Andy, it was just my feeble attempt at humour!lolIf you need any more info. or help with walls ect. just let me know....

Nice place Denbigh with it's castle and all. Living nr. Rossett, I've done quite a bit of work around that area, do you actually live in the town?

Cheers,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Could well do that Andy, sounds like a good plan! I will P.M. you if an opportunity arises.

Cheers,

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi again Ron. After the build up I hope the freezer tip works on the figures. I guess it will work on most plastics!

I shall await your report :xyxthumbs:

Cheers

Steve