Rooikat

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking good :thumb2:

Looks like it’s more fun to paint than to build Jakko! Nice work so far- assume you’re not tackling the camo scheme then?
The build wasn’t bad, you just have to clean up some parts a bit more than with, say, a Tamiya or Takom kit. As for the colour, this one will be overall sand, no camouflage. Part of it is because I wanted to use it to practice some of these techniques after not having used them for years, for the aforementioned M70 that’s in Gulf War sand but looking too flat at the moment. The other part of the reason is that I actually wanted to paint this model in that strange shade of brown that some South African vehicles have, but had to guess at which Hataka paint colour matches that — and guessed wrong :smiling3:

I looked really carefully at the back end photo and as I couldn't see any glue marks I came to the conclusion that the tools were moulded on. So my comment should have been to say you're a very neat worker :smiling2:
I would argue I’m far from a neat worker :smiling3: The back end does look rather neat, though. All I can think of to explain that is because the glue evaporates without leaving too many marks.

paint job is looking very good. I like the variation.
Thanks. I try not to have too much variation, because IMHO it’s often overdone on many of the artistically painted models you see. I like the look of this one at the moment, though, so I think I’m on the right track.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Quick tip: when putting the wheels together, I found it difficult to glue the two sides of the hubs to each other. The solution I arrived at was to push one side halfway into the tyre so that the join between the two is accessible to a glue brush:

4A2E6693-5D57-491F-891F-81716C0A57BD.jpeg

Also: drill out the axle openings for the front four wheels slightly, they don’t really fit the axles anymore if there’s paint on those.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good, nice selection of paint makes being used .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks :smiling3: I use whatever paint I have handy that looks to be the right colour and consistency — I’m definitely not someone who swears by a single brand and refuses to touch anything else (if anything, I swear at certain brands :smiling3:).

• Haha
Reactions: JR