Rorke's Drift - The Hospital surroundings, 24th. Jan. 1879 "Sir, the Zulus 'ave scarpered!"

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening 570.
We at the Pyrotechnics institution would agree with you on the ridge board. Would it not have either fallen in as the roof went up or have suffered more damage and been shorter.
There is only one way to test this theory, but a rebuild is out of the question, had you not composted chapters 9 & 10 you might have found out .
The colours have made a good improvement. I'm enjoying this .
Yours Ivor Ripinsky.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Are we still voting on this? Bring on the Zulus and let them decide.:tongue-out2:
Cheers, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry for the late response folks, but I've been away until last night.
Thanks for all your comments, particularly about the ridge board. Now sorted.... :thumb2:

I've spent this morning in the workshop and I've done some additions and alterations.

Here's the offending ridge board - or lack of it anyway!
P1210768.JPG

A sketch done after the battle shows a wall directly in front of the Hospital at the same height as the escarpment. As the attackers were supposed to have breached the defences either side of this, I figured it must have been a good height. Also I reasoned that officers, being officers would like a nice flat area to have their 'Tiffin' and admire the view away from everyone else. So to give the rankers something to do they had the wall constructed. All my theory and probably a load of b*****ks, but I'm sticking with it...... :thumb2:

I made the wall from a thin strip of polystyrene, stuck it in the middle section of the original escarpment, then dug at it with a small screwdriver and my finger nails to simulate a rough stone construction.
P1210771.JPG

I also made a second, lower level escarpment either side of the wall for the Zulus to run up to reach the meelie bag wall (Bless!) out of a piece of 20mm scrap polystyrene cut down the middle and hacked at.
Left side....
P1210772.JPG

Right side.
P1210773.JPG

I slurried on some of the adhesive to tone in the front wall stones to match the escarpment colour and built up the top ground level to the wall using powdered adhesive.
P1210774.JPG

I've also started to build up a bit more texture to the ground below the escarpment.
P1210775.JPG

....and forming where the thin band of soil and turf would have broken away on the upper ground level due to the 'farsans' of feet!
P1210776.JPG

P1210777.JPG

P1210778.JPG

A bit more ground work needed then I can start the painting and vegetation.

Cheers.
Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have to agree on the ridge board. Did draw the eye too sharply. Really shaping up nicely. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Ron, really shaping up. :thumb2:
Cheers, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all.
I hope you will bear with me over the next few days because I don't like having builds unfinished. I want a 'Clean Slate'. So in order to finish off the 2 or 3 I have on the go I'm afraid I'I'll be bouncing between them.
It's warm enough to be in the workshop now so I've given the base a coat of cheap acrylics.

Here is the result so far....

The terrace wall.

The escarpment.

Drone view....For a bit of diversity some bare patches remain here and there, particularly around the Hospital. The two escarpments show a bit of wear and tear but I've left the terraced area almost untouched as I reasoned the attackers would go around the wall not climb it.

When it all dries I will add some buff coloured texture to the bare patches. Bang goes another Weetabix!

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 6559

Great stuff Ron. I love the way you photograph your work.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good looking base 570. Lots of room for more Zulus I might add:tongue-out3:!!
Rick H.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good looking base 570. Lots of room for more Zulus I might add:tongue-out3:!!
Rick H.

What have you got that we ain't got Rick? Last time we mentioned more zulus, young Ron nearly went 'Postal' on us! How come he don't swear at you?

PS Although I disagree with asking Ron for more zulus, he'll do the right thing with his dio, I will defend to the death your right to ask him anyway!

Reactions: JR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Ron
Like the idea of the 'afeter the battle' scene, which is looking good. Nice also to see the escarpment - something missing from the film.

Peter

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Dave, Can't pass up an opportunity when it presents itself:tongue-out2:! Sorry 570, my memories of the movie version sometimes get the best of me. The Zulus were everywhere, standing, running leaning kneeling and horizontal. Cheers, Rick H.

Reactions: JR

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ron,
Another masterpiece on the way, will keep looking.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
No dead 570, give Jim a call .
453 .