Rough But Ready, Tamiya's SAS Jeep

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, as you can see i have my mojo back and it's staying. Reet, the Jeep is from Tamiya but the guns, fuel tanks and rucksacks are from Italeri's Commando car. I'm building the Italeri for something else and it still has all the parts in the box to build a standard Jeep. The Tamiya Jeep though is old and it shows, but only on the jerry cans and the Vickers K Guns (even the .50cal from the Tamiya kit had to be binned). The Jeep build was nice and straightforward but leave the wheels off until last, i didn't and it was awkward to paint the tyres. The figures are from Master Box LRDG and look right at home with the Jeep (again the Tamiya figures showing their age but in the spares box).

Have fun, John

View attachment 38936View attachment 38937View attachment 38938View attachment 38939View attachment 38940View attachment 38941View attachment 38942View attachment 38943View attachment 38944View attachment 38945View attachment 38946View attachment 38947View attachment 38948

View attachment 42928

View attachment 42929

View attachment 42930

View attachment 42931

View attachment 42932

View attachment 42933

View attachment 42934

View attachment 42935

View attachment 42936

View attachment 42937

View attachment 42938

View attachment 42939

View attachment 42940

DSCF7118.jpg

DSCF7120.jpg

DSCF7122.jpg

DSCF7123.jpg

DSCF7124.jpg

DSCF7125.jpg

DSCF7126.jpg

DSCF7128.jpg

DSCF7130.jpg

DSCF7131.jpg

DSCF7132.jpg

DSCF7133.jpg

DSCF7135.jpg

B

Boldman

That looks great - where did you get the grass tufts from?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one John.

Good to see the mojo has stuck as well.

Ian M

D

dubster72

That's a great build John! The weathering on the jeep is superb & the figures are really good. I do like a nice, simple little vignette like this as it showcases an excellent piece of work.

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, what a cracking build. Simple vignette, yet tells a story.

The sand in every orifice is just class.....You are so right about Tamiya figures, they really have lost it. Masterbox and Miniart are streets better.

Well done my mate...Big 5* to you too!lol

Nice to see you're truly having fun again.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
That looks great - where did you get the grass tufts from?
Get you're self to a wargames workshop place thingys, it's called 'The Army Painter' Battlefield Tuft. £4:00 but you get enough for a few dios, and you don't need glue as it's sticky too.

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
Nice one John.Good to see the mojo has stuck as well.

Ian M
Cheers matey, i've got stuck straight in to my next model too so it looks like it back for good.

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
That's a great build John! The weathering on the jeep is superb & the figures are really good. I do like a nice, simple little vignette like this as it showcases an excellent piece of work.Patrick
Big thanks Patrick mate :thumbs-up:

Have fun, John

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
John, what a cracking build. Simple vignette, yet tells a story.The sand in every orifice is just class.....You are so right about Tamiya figures, they really have lost it. Masterbox and Miniart are streets better.

Well done my mate...Big 5* to you too!lol

Nice to see you're truly having fun again.

Ron
I've got loads of Masterbox/Miniart figures just in case, the three that was left from the LRDG will go on another dio i have in mind. But at the mo i'm working on a Tamiya Tiger. Thanks for the five too mate.

Have fun, John

P

Polux

That's a great build John! This small scene is simply, clear and very nice.

Top job, 5* from me too.

Polux

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Beautiful bit of building John,

Just needs a woman in the jeep, really annoyed cos they wont ask the local arabs the way to the oasis - lol

sorry, my mind is playing tricks on me:fool:, I'll leave now.

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's a cracker. I can almost here the discussion the two soldiers are having. Beautifully done.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi John back in full swing and the diorama shows it top class in every way well worth a BIG 5. Glad to have you and your mojo back again

R

Richy C

Lovely build John , I`ve got a couple off these jeeps in the stash and your spot on about the kit looking its age and poor figures , I love a desert dio they are quite simple to do but very effective , 5 stars from me mate and pleased you have your mojo back .

Cheers

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks all, it was nice to get my feet under the work bench again and get something done. You'll never guess what! SHMBO:emo4: has given me orders, she wants me to build a tank for the front room. Had to pick myself up after, so i'm building her a Tamiya Tiger with PE Zimmerit. Happer than a pig in mud.

Thanks again, have fun, John