Rough finish

J

jjjjdup

Hi everyone.
I'm back in the hobby after many years.
I want to step up my quality work and need advice.
I'm painting an aircraft using Vallejo air and their airbrush thinner.

I am getting quite a rough surface which makes panel line weathering hard ( I do seal with clear)
I am a bit impatient and might be applying the coats to thick to quick.

What paints and ration to thinners do you use and how many coats.
What do you use for a clear coat
How long between coats.

Thanks for any advice

J

jjjjdup

Also

Anyone in Kent I could potentially meet up with

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jean
Welcome to the forum. A very friendly, helpful bunch of modellers.
The rough finish you are getting may well be due to the paint drying before it hits the model. Perhaps adding a retarder to the mix and slightly lowering the air pressure may help. Certainly you do not want to be putting on a thick coat of paint
Jim

S

Steve Noble

Air pressure, thinning and how close you are spraying to the surface all play a part. Type/brand of paint also will have an effect.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jean,
I use Vallejo paints - Model Air shouldn't need any thinning, but the paint should be " semi-skimmed milk" consistency. I spray generally at about 1.7bar ( 25psi ), using a 0.3mm nozzle airbrush, at about 150-200mm from the model. Smaller nozzles, lower pressure & closer. I allow several hours before any second coat, and overnight before a clear coat ( before panel lining/weathering ). Before spraying a first coat, I suggest you wash the surface with soapy water, and rinse
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jean an a welcome from me as well if you can it would be nice if you don't mind to see some pictures as im basically at the same stage as you on this subject
an what aircraft are you building ? as im a newbie at painting plastic aircraft with weathering an ive got two big kits to build an paint so a bit nervous on that
but im gonna practice on an old kit when I start . But for some reason in me I keep putting it off thinking i'll learn more before I start

But good luck on your build as i'll be following your thread

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Jean,
Cannot add anything to the good advice above, except welcome to the site.
Mike

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
All good advice the only thing I would add is that it's most likely cause is the paint drying befor landing. If you are happy with the mix (paint needle and pressure, just try moving closer to the surface.

D

Durk

Hi Jean, a too high air pressure may also result in paint drying before it reaches the surface of your model, but I don't have proper experience with Model Air. I spray Tamiya at 0.8 to 1.0 Bar, but don't know how this works with Model Air.

DIRK