Royal Navy Buccaneer XV156. 1964 HMS Eagle.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well like I said all the photos I have seen of this Aircraft have been washed polished and hoovered for the occasion, so my one is going to be just that. Clean!

Hope you like it, 'cause theres going to be a while before I do an other one!!!

AND any one else thinking of a Bucc, REMEMBER TO PUT A WEIGHT IN THE NOSE BEFORE YOU GLUE IT UP!!! :laughing:

Ian M

View attachment 26888

View attachment 26889

View attachment 26890

View attachment 26891

View attachment 26892

View attachment 26893

View attachment 26894

View attachment 26895

View attachment 26896

View attachment 26897

View attachment 26898

27092010753.jpg

27092010751.jpg

27092010752.jpg

27092010745.jpg

27092010748.jpg

27092010750.jpg

27092010756.jpg

27092010749.jpg

27092010757.jpg

27092010754.jpg

27092010747.jpg

T

T. van Vuuren

First rate job as usual Ian!

I like the wings up , it gives some real "feel" to the model. Was it the dreaded 1/48 Airfix kit? If so you surely got the better of it LOL!

Theuns

F

Ferrets Bueller

Looks absoloutly spot on Ian, i like the clean look of it as you say if they are not depicted dirty then, make it clean. The paint job looks great and the cockpit is well detailed, nice work.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi ian , superb job mate well done. It certainly makes an impressive model doesnt it, even if its a bit of a wrestling match, It looks excellent in the sea grey over white scheme,and i think you were spot on leaving it clean, this scheme just wouldnt look right all mucky! once again congrats on a great build , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That looks well nice Ian. I like it.

Gern

B

Bunkerbarge

Great model Ian, lovely cockpit job and the folded wings gives it a whole new dimension. Perhaps you might want to do another one to put next to it with the wings down just to compare the two?:laughing:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great result here Ian. Some models just look right, I don't know why, but you have managed that here. Very nice.

Regards

Colin m........

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, a well deserved 5 star. You have wetted my apetite for my Buccaneer which I will be doing in RAF camo some time next year. As you say I have only seen them clean during the airshows in the 60's. I remember they had rotating bombay doors, and they used to rotate these as they flew over the crown with 'FLY NAVY' prominently displayed. Well done again - so whats next? that Airfix 1/48 Lightning F6 I see you finally got your hands on. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Derek. Before I build any thing bigger than a 1/48 spitfire, I will have to build a new cabinet first. The two I have are quite full. These "modern" Fighters are all well and good but they do fill the old cabints rather fast. I can in all honesty say that this will not be the last Bucc I do. It really is a nice Aircraft. In some respects a shame that the Airfix kit was a)dropped and b) a bit of a bugger. Although I must say I did not find it as bad as I had been led to belive. Maybe I was just lucky. The parts that gave me the most grief were the intakes and exhausts. Trying to get those looking good was a challenge.

I solved the problem of the tailstanding! I drilled a hole in the bottom of the nose and inserted some lead rolls until it sat on the wheel. Then a good splash of Gator to hold them in place. Pluged the hole with a bit of sprue and touched in the paint work after a bit of sanding. Phew! Just remember the weight Derek!!!

As for the next project? After reading Richards comment on the TSR 2 in the Victor presentation, I was forced to google it to se what it was for a bird. That would most deffo have been called Falcon if it had not of got the chop!! At first I thought it was just odd, but the more I saw of it, and there is loads of stuff on the WWW, the more I liked it. Soooo If I can get hold of one I might just do one of those.

The F6 will be a way off yet. I need to get hole of some of that Alclad and learn to use that. I have also seen a plethura of goodies for the cockpit, the wheelbays and stuff, so I might sllash out on those too.

Right now I am sitting behind an empty desk!!!! Thats the first time since christmas!!! Weird!

Thanks for all the kind words!

Ian M

B

Bunkerbarge

There are quite a few PE sets for the TSR2 as well.

Go on you know you want to!!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
There are quite a few PE sets for the TSR2 as well. Go on you know you want to!!!!
And almost as many resin bits too! I found Eight sets, with out trying....

Just found out that the fuselage of this kit os 545mm long!!! Ouch!

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator: