Royal Navy Phantom F-4K

C

Caledonia

Hi All, For my next project I am building the 1/48 Hasegawa Royal Navy Phantom F-4K, I am going to make it the 001 serial XT858. In 1969 this Aircraft held the world record between New York and London when it took 4 Hrs 46 Min. I photographed it at the then RNAS Lossiemouth that year, see photos attached. As you may know in 1974 the SR-71 Blackbird beat the record by doing it in an unbelievable 1 Hr 54 Min 56.4 sec.

It will be a slow build as the BOSS is dropping heavy hints about some DIY, so better take some action before the thumb screws come out. As the Cockpit is such a prominent feature on the Aircraft I have invested in an Aires Cockpit Resin Set, never used them before, but they seem to have a good reputation and they certainly are very detailed, see photo attached. Thanks Derek

View attachment 22201

View attachment 22202

View attachment 22203

View attachment 22204

View attachment 22205

View attachment 22206

View attachment 22207

View attachment 22208

View attachment 22209

1-F4K..jpg

2-F4K..jpg

3-F4k..jpg

4-F4k..jpg

5-F4k..jpg

6-F4K..jpg

7-F4k..jpg

P1-F4K..jpg

P2-F4K..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi derek .this is going to be a great build,im really looking forward to seeing how it develops. Like yourself ive never used one of the resin cockpits, but ive always liked the look of them.Really useful when the cockpit is as visible as this. cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, Thanks, what are you working on just now?, looking forward to seeing your next winged creation. Derek

F

Fenlander

Have you thought of hitting your foot with a hammer? Can't do DIY with a broken foot but ya can still build models, therapeutic even.....

I love the Phantom, I think it is one of those rare aircraft that actually looks like a killing machine, the A10 is another. Look forward to watching this grow. Never used the resin sets before but I have seen what can be done with them. Any tips along theway re resin will be much appreciated. By the way, you are aware that resin dust is considered very toxic? Try to clean up with a damp cloth to prevent airborne dust particles.

C

Caledonia

Hi Graham, Thanks for the info, I knew the Forum was packed with info, but getting out of DIY - well what can I say. If the hammer doesn't work maybe the dust will get me. Seriously though, thanks for the interest, and yes the Phantom with the Spey engines looks the business, they were fantastic on re-heat Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Hi Tony, Thanks, what are you working on just now?, looking forward to seeing your next winged creation. Derek
At the mo ive got 4 in progress- The 1/72 desert dio with hans joachim marseilles bf109 and kubelwagen(the plane and kube are done im just battling with the base), the 1/72 p40e warhawk in captured japanese markings (see thread-"someone must build this colourful p40e") , 1/48 yak 9t and finally a 1/72 fieseler fi 167.A real pick and mix eh!!! cant wait to see the spook ,always had a soft spot for the big phantom,i remember seeing a quote from an american general ,who on seeing the first phantom said it looked like it was flying upside down! cheers tony

N

noble

Hi Derek this looks like it will be a cool build, i love the cockpit detailing hope you keep posting the pics.

scott

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, What do you do with all that spare time on your hands? I knew you had a factory admit it. Seriously though, look forward to seeing some pictures.

Hi Scott, Will do, one thing you definitely need is a Razor Saw for the Resin parts, as there is a lot of material to remove. Another thing I have found is the models plastic area around the nose and cockpit needs significant surgery to fit the cockpit tub. I have the cockpit tub parts prepped, will post some photos when it is finished painted.

Thanks for your interest Derek

C

Caledonia

Hi Folks, Have made some progress this week on the cockpit tub, see photos below. Have cut the Aires Resin parts and cleaned them up, and painted the basic components. There is a lot more to add but will leave these off until after the main aircraft painting is finished. Have included a shot of the basic Aires cockpit tub against the one provided with the kit for comparison. The cockpit dials are the usual film and PE, have used these before at 1/32 scale but the 1/48 scale is quite difficult to handle. I always paint the plastic white before I apply the film to make the dials more prominent. You need a lot of guess work as to how the Aires cockpit tub is going to fit into the fuselage as it is not a direct substitution, a lot of surgery is going to be needed. That's all for now Derek

View attachment 22369

View attachment 22370

View attachment 22371

View attachment 22372

View attachment 22373

View attachment 22374

8--F4K..jpg

9-F4K..jpg

10-F4K..jpg

11-F4K..jpg

12-F4K..jpg

13-F4K..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
superb looking cockpit derek,such a difference from the kit one. You must be leaving the canopies open to display all this detail cheers tony

N

noble

That cockpit detail is fantastic mate, good luck on the surgery.

scott

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony and Scott, Thanks for viewing, discovered a MAJOR problem last night. Have not been able to dry fit the cockpit tub until the raised section at the front of the fuselage, also the cross beam half way along and the flat at the back of the cockpit is removed, see photo. Did this last night and found that the cockpit tub sits 3mm too high. The tub sits on top of the nose wheel well so no room for manoeuvre there. Cut off 3mm form the tub underside which unfortunately also removed the floor of the tub at the front seat location. Will have to cobble something up, in the meantime if you know of any Phantom Pilots 4ft tall, tell them I have the exact aircraft for them. Upwards and onwards. Cheers Derek

View attachment 22388

14-F4K..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi derek , i understand thats a common problem with resin cockpits ,wheel wells etc. i suppose its the trade off for having all that lovely detail! Ive read of cases where people have ground out the plastic that thin, its nearly see through!! Im sure youll conquer it ,and if the floor is a scale 6 inches too high ,i dont think anyone will notice (only maybe the scale pilot!) cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm back again with a stoopid question!

If the makers resin cockpits can get them so finely detailed, how come none of them actually fit the 'plane they're made for? Seems that every review/build I've seen which uses these, some modification has to be made. In some cases it's really drastic as Tony says.

Gern

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony and Gern, Thanks for your input. On researching the problem it would appear that Aires do a special wheel well which allows a correct fit of the tub?? So if anyone is thinking of using an Aires cockpit look to see if they do a wheel well also, that's maybe the answer to Gern's query. For me I wouldn't bother again, by the time you buy that lot you have doubled the price of the original kit, I'm not that much of a puritan. The Hasegawa Phantom cockpit is very poor however so I will persevere with the Aires cockpit. By comparison my next model will be the Hasegawa 1/48 Starfighter TF-104G and its cockpit is much better (gives the option of painting the raised detail or use Decals) although strangely enough from the copyright mark the phantom is the newer kit, probably an older re-release in disguise. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Finally finished the surgery in way of the fuselage area for the cockpit tub including removal of the original internal embossed details needed for the original kit tub. After much carving teasing and threatening finally got the tub to fit. Created a new floor under the front seat with Plasticard and CA glued the joystick consul to same. Now have to fill in all the gaps and clean-up. Cheers Derek

View attachment 22457

View attachment 22458

View attachment 22459

View attachment 22460

14-F4K..jpg

15-F4K..jpg

16-F4K..jpg

17-F4K..jpg

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

Finally got some work done on the Phantom. The main assembly is now finished, a minor gap at the nose to be fixed them masking and painting. The wheels, exhaust and intake ducting has been left off for painting separately. Cheers Derek

View attachment 22671

View attachment 22672

18-F4K..jpg

19-F4K..jpg

F

Fenlander

Sorry Derek but I have missed the latest updates to this build, curses to whoever suggested a group build :busted_red: Anyway.... The resin cockpit does look good and it will add some much needed weight in the nose I would have though. It is looking very nice. How are you doing, if you are, the world record text on the port intake?