RP Models 1/12th Anubis bust

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
On my 'lap' next is the 1/12th Bust of Anubis, who was according to Egyptian mythology was the god of embalming and the dead. Since jackals were often seen in cemeteries, the ancient Egyptians believed that Anubis watched over the dead.. He had the body of a man and the head of a Jackal. It is the jackals head adorned in gold regalia that RP have provided. As would be expected its full of textures and exquisitely cast, which will be a joy to paint, if i can do it any justice that is. Model has been primed and after this photo was taken, has been base coated in black. Going to be fun getting the highlights and shadows painted. lots of subtle washes/ glazes. Also painting this one along with ScaleBro's Leon as he is all black as well. Rps release Here

20191128_172631.jpg20191128_172640.jpg20191128_172721.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Wow, that's an unusual one Steve. Beautifully modelled and cast, as you say.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow, that's an unusual one Steve. Beautifully modelled and cast, as you say.

Pete, he is indeed. Hugo (co founder of RP Models) is really interested in the whole egyptian mythology Genre. so decided to set up a sister company to RP models called 'OMEN', still keeping the same ethos of excellence and customer satisfaction as RP models. He wanted to keep the two separate as RP produce different genres to OMEN. When i spoke to Hugo at Telford you could feel the passion he has about not just this new line of figures but of all the Items RP have produced and will be bringing out over the next months and years. Something else around Anibus in the pipelines is this 75mm battle scene of Freya and Anubis . Hate to think how much its going to cost !
1.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
That is stunning. I assume there is rather a lot of gold and blue in the collar :thumb2:
Jim

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Had no time for painting miniatures this weekend - booo. Busy decorating the lounge, and family events. Managed to get some colour on Anubis last night, all the major colours have now been blocked in, time to start bringing the head to life ! Using Various shades of gold from Darkstar to try and get away from one solid gold colour. Can see on his back a different shade and also on the ends of the 'ear scarfs?'.
1.jpg1a.jpg2.jpg2a.jpg3.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Got some progressively lighter and lighter highlights on Aubuis's head and shoulders, then glazed with the original black to tone them down a bit. Base coated eyes in flat red, will be changed to gloss red. Added highlights and a few shadows to the belt, didnt want it to look distressed to much as surely if a god it would be kept clean and just look a bit used ?

20191205_073521.jpg
20191205_073536.jpg20191205_073627(0).jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Two Options - read the ramble below about breaking his ears or straight to the photos

DISASTER - finished painting his precious stones, glossed his eyes, nose and head band, leather belt. Went to pick him up to check how he looked after the paints had dried, but somehow managed to knock him off the table. With a thud he fell 3ft onto a wooden floor, I didn't want to look, expecting to see bits of ears and nose smashed off, Luckily (i though) his left ear had broke quite a way down so should be in a nice chunk to glue back on, and only the tip of the right ear was damaged. I spent, along with my wife's help - think she could see the anguish in my face - 30 minutes searching the blast radius, but the large ear chunk was not to be found anywhere. What to do ?. I had some milliput somewhere but at 10:30 at night in the pouring rain, i wasn't about to go searching for it in the shed. I remembered i had a tube of Vallejo Plastic putty in one of my tins, so got it out and proceeded to pipe him a new ear. Quite happy with the result and far neater than i could have got trying to fair in a new ear.

Photos

20191211_073736.jpg20191211_073754.jpg20191211_073807.jpg20191211_073820.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ears fixed, happy with the result, may softly sand a little, but this putty takes ages to dry, so if i cant i will leave well alone

20191212_080511.jpg20191212_080521.jpg

The owner of the company let me know that, if i needed a new bust, he would send me one FOC!, kindly declined as my clumsy paws caused the issue, but what customer service.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not much of an update, but decided i didnt like all the different coloured stones, it was starting to look a bit toy'ish. So painted over them. Spent a bit of time painting the rope around his neck, so thats another bit done. Next up to paint is his Jacket, Ear attachments, Anubis cross and Staff.

49237460592_0f3c68393e_o.jpg
49237239826_e178081496_o.jpg

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve. I thought the multi-coloured collar looked good, but I can see your point. Lookin' lovely.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve. I thought the multi-coloured collar looked good, but I can see your point. Lookin' lovely.
Thanks Pete
I know there are no 'real' references to him, but all the Egyptian drawings and subsequent characterizations of him in print or film show him with no coloured stones, so trying to stay true to the mythology if that makes sense. But suppose no one can say if a a bejeweled bust or not is the most accurate, and I am not waking him from the dead to find out
:smiling5: :smiling5:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Missed this one Steve.Do like egyptian subjects.Find it fascinating.Incredibly good job you have made and a good fix job.Im guilty of dropping things constantly,Usually do bit of sculpting and drop it on floor and hard work trashed.
Keep it going mate.
Rich.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
so glad to see you still at it Steve,i have seen this one,he is great,your done such a good job of him,
well done,
there is some very cool figures about at the moment as well,

D

Deleted member 6559

Very, very nice Steve. A great colour scheme - you were right to tone down the collar.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
so glad to see you still at it Steve,i have seen this one,he is great,your done such a good job of him,
well done,
there is some very cool figures about at the moment as well,

Hey Monica, good to hear from you. Thanks very much for the kind comments

Nice paintwork Steve :thumb2:

Thanks

Very, very nice Steve. A great colour scheme - you were right to tone down the collar.

Thanks Pete. Yep looks better overall i think.