RQ 4 Global Hawk in 1/48

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres something i picked up at the Newark show , its the Skunk model works RQ 4 Global Hawk in 1/48 scale . Ive always been fascinated by the look of these UAVs and its a rarely seen kit so i had to have it. Its a fairly simple kit , no cockpit or canopy to mess with and is only about 60 odd parts. The hardest thing is going to be finding somewhere to put it when its done , the wingspan is 32 inch !!heres a shot of the box top , more later , cheers tony1CFEF7E8-849C-4CDA-81E3-6FCE9DF3C7B7.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
32 inches. Use it as a weather vane when it's completed.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well it might seem like ive been super quick building this but to be honest i took the box top pic in the above post weeks ago ,i just didnt start the thread until today! Anyways heres a bit of progress . Ive assembled the two main fuselage halves and the engne intake and exhaust . The construction is quite clever with the bottom of the fuselage going on after the wings have been slotted in , the fuse bottom containing pins which go through the wing tabs securing it all together very firmly. Due to the massive span the kit wings naturally have a bit of droop ,something not overly apparent on the full size aircraft ,so to try and minimise this Ive glued some plastic card under the inboard edge of the wing tab and glued a fuselage spreader from a bit of sprue, hopefully itll work. Ive also glued the wing halves together and added the outer section .Next up is assembling the wings/fuselage /fuselage bottom , then things are going to get tricky ,finding space on the bench to put it !!DSCN2971.JPGDSCN2972.JPGDSCN2973.JPGDSCN2976.JPG

First Name
Dave
That's a bit different Tony.Must be a nice change not having a cockpit to detail.would there be room to use a steel rod inside the wings to keep them straight?.Something the thickness of a wire coat hanger.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That's a bit different Tony.Must be a nice change not having a cockpit to detail.would there be room to use a steel rod inside the wings to keep them straight?.Something the thickness of a wire coat hanger.
Cheers dave , the wings themselves are quite stiff the problem was when they were inserted into the slots the weight pulled the fuselage sides inwards a bit ,hopefully the sprue spreader and plastic card tabs will strengthen this up. and yes im loving the lack of canopy masking!! cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
83 cm wingspan! Though it does have a certain appeal, I think I’d have to go for a 1/144 scale one just to be able to put it somewhere.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony
Now this is something different. It is a biggie. Hope the wing droop has been sorted. I had not heard of this so looked it up. Here is an interesting bit from Wilipedia "Each aircraft was to cost US$60.9 million in 2001, but this had risen to $222.7 million per aircraft by 2013."
Jim

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Great start Tony, Now if i see you taking on amazon drone deliveries i wouldn't be suprised :smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the wings on and fuselage bottom glued , its just setting now . I can now see the size of it and the problems im going to have from now on! An example of this is the pic below - ive set the model on top of my homemade photo light box till the glues hardened , this shows that it wont fit inside for the finished pics. The other problems are goingvto be where to put it when its done! 1E87A994-EB8C-4C75-8FC7-D04AACF0E9F7.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Has anyone heard if they make a 1/32 scale version of this? lol:tongue-out3: Good progress so far Tony!
Cheers, Rick H.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its been a while since i got any modelling time but i got some more done on this. The main airframe is all together and its had its paint put on . Next step is a clear coat then decals and on with the undercarriage. C1AFD3F8-1606-41A7-A211-ED81C3A875A6.jpegC1AFD3F8-1606-41A7-A211-ED81C3A875A6.jpeg

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
That really is a beast! Can’t believe the price of these is 1:1 scale!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its a beast alright guys! Cant tell you how many times ive either knocked something over or hit myself in the face while manipulating it!! Its like the brilliant 1967 comedy short by Eric Sykes “ The Plank “ !!:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5: ( young uns google it and have a watch , its genius)

Last edited: