Rubber Tyres

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Can anyone tell me how to clean up rubber tyres, they appear to have a weird film on them and I'm not sure how to clean them.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mark,
with rubber/vinyl tyres, I always wash them - I use an ultrasonic cleaner, warm water & washing up liquid, then rinse in fresh water & allow to air dry (or a wash basin will do!). Cleaning up seams can be done with sanding sticks - or wire wool. I always prime & paint the tyres - washing them helps the paint to stick, as can using wire wool to roughen the surface slightly. Bear in mind that painted tyres are delicate & handling/stretching can cause the paint to flake off!
Dave

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ok, thanks for that, had given all the parts a warm bath before I started but will give them another go, won't be painting them as the rubber looks good as it is.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use as the others have said warm soapy water then I rough them up with scotchbrite other scouring pads are available this takes the plastic shine of them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s “tip of the week” Ian, never heard that one before, but it’s so logical.....great stuff.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Personally I hate those hard shinny 'rubber' tyres. I find that in the right (or is it wrong) conditions they can actually breakdown or even melt to the base they are on.
Only Rubber tyres I have ever liked are the ones Tamiya provide in there M/C and the large scale cars. Trumpeter ones aren't to shabby either.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
These ones are Revell although Heller is stamped on the back of the rear seat, they seem quite good up to Tamiya in my opinion, just the right amount of squidge.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Personally I hate those hard shinny 'rubber' tyres. I find that in the right (or is it wrong) conditions they can actually breakdown or even melt to the base they are on.
I have a very strange case with those: I built a Dragon 9P148 (“BRDM-2 with AT-5 Spandrel”) and a Revell BRDM-2, which is a rebox of the Dragon model, not long after. The two have been standing on the same shelf side by side — literally a centimetre apart — for maybe twenty years, and all four tyres on the 9P148 have split but those on the BRDM-2 are all still fine.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not at all, the kit manufacturers probably source their tires, decals, etc from several different venders so if you're out of one you move on to the next. You end up with different tires in the same kit. Rick H.