Running 1 x 12V LED light in a model.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have an idea for a model to have one (1) 12V LED light in it and would like to know what items other than a light, battery and wire would i need to run said light. Anything special?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Any particular reason for 12V? Just that you could run one on a single 7.5V (18650) battery for several hours

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I only say 12V because in looking in the Scale Model Shop shop i saw they were 12V LED lights. No other reason as i know nothing about electrickery.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
To add lights 5 or 6 volts is a more usual power source. In addition ensure that your leds have a built in resistor. If not you will need to add about a 300 ohm resistor. Finally a switch is always useful but not vital.

John

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
To add lights 5 or 6 volts is a more usual power source. In addition ensure that your leds have a built in resistor. If not you will need to add about a 300 ohm resistor. Finally a switch is always useful but not vital.

John
Think that most of them come with them built in - but not positive on that

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Alan well you hav'nt said what model you want to light up ? an yes smd 12v leds come with about 10 inches of wires lenght an a prefitted resistor an they are very bright or you can get the weakwhite smd led in 2mm size as well
chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cannot say what model it is Chris as that's a secret lol. But i need two (2) light and not one as i said before. I forgot about the other. I was looking at the grain of rice LED lights that John used to have in. They need to be small to fit in the place i need them. Brightness i suppose is always nice to have. I could always place a variable resistor on it to adjust to the brightness i needed.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Cannot say what model it is Chris as that's a secret lol. But i need two (2) light and not one as i said before. I forgot about the other. I was looking at the grain of rice LED lights that John used to have in. They need to be small to fit in the place i need them. Brightness i suppose is always nice to have. I could always place a variable resistor on it to adjust to the brightness i needed.
OK Al its a secret can you say what coluor is needed ? an SMD are very small only 2mm an as i said from the shop where i get mine they come in pack of 5 for a fiver with the wires an resistor all fitted all you have to do is wire them up to a switch an a 12v batt an if you do want to buy some from where i get mine i'll be happy to give the shop name an tel no.
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm just going through a similar situation I hit evil bay and found a battery pack and switches.......the led lighting kit I ordered from a model railroad supply house. I found that they draw 20 mili amps of current and that in order to get a scale brightness I would need to use a 450 ohm resistor in the circuit.
I don't know if any of this applies to what you are doing Alan....hope it helps. Rick H.

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Alan,
try this website.. I used the lights in the dio that I built awhile,back..both indoor lights and flickering for the light in the fireplace

84429003-7818-4013-B2F1-CE5E838CF55B.jpeg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan have a look at Small Scale Lights web site.
Very helpful indeed .

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Reactions: JR