Russian MiG silver/grey?

M

munkster

Just got the Academy MiG 23 Flogger-B kit and beginning to realise that Academy aren't that helpful (so it seems) with paint references - was just aiming to paint it in the dirty silver colour that many of the soviet planes seemed to be in but the kit just says "silver" - would it be a flat silver perhaps? Or even a grey of some sort? Is there a website anywhere that's the holy grail of model paint schemes even??

So many questions!! Sorry!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi munkster, most of the mig 23s that werent camouflaged were left in natural metal, so your guess of dirty silver is spot on. Obviously there were a few different shades of silver on various panels and round the jet exhaust but all over silver is ok for the rest, as for the matt or gloss , its probably somewhere in between - a natural metal finish will weather and lose its shine unless polished regularly ,which i dont think the russians would have been too bothered about!! hope this helps , cheers tony

EDIT> i forgot about the grey ones! Some were done in all over light grey too , cheers tony

M

munkster

Cheers for that. I do need to get my head around these various weathering techniques - as a newbie I can see just how much it can improve a flat colour and am keen to give it a go...

That said, I seem to have "accidentally" won an auction for a 1:48 F-15 (didn't think my bid would be high enough) so maybe that'll get built first. Might have to buy a bigger table though, have just calculated how big that one will be when built(!) ;)