Rust

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you everyone, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Richard, I did really mean the chassis and you guys must have special dry rain over there as Landys rust like mad here, except for the parts covered in oil leaks, obviously. Joking aside, my point was that the Jeeps I've worked on really had minimal rust, even the neglected ones.

So yes, I'll not be going mad at it without a bloody good excuse !

I can't help but admire this though....

View attachment 419571
I do love seeing the effects and it makes for nice contrast to the whole scene. Many have access to B/W photos and the wear and stains perhaps are mistaken for rust.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The chips look good. Great use of bluefoam, but the painting could do with a little edge highlighting

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Yeah, I was going to try a bit of paint chipping on a restoration of an unfinished Bergpanther I'm about to do.
I am braced for a possible backlash..
Again, I would say that 'less is more' - as I'd guess that the factories would 'dip' the vehicles as it's the quickest way to get paint on, which would leave a fairly thick coat of paint on them (and certainly not labour intensive) - weren't the car manufacturers still dipping car bodies up until the '60s/70s?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slightly off-piste Dan but I also have two unfinished Bergpanthers, one of each manufacturer. Having exhausted my patience on track guides that nestle on the shallowest location guides, and then decide to pop off whilst fitting, I've decided 'D--- the expense, go metal' The Meng tracks are infinitely better then the Takom examples but pleeeeeeeeese, who needs that many location points?

CarolsHusband

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dan
Slightly off-piste Dan but I also have two unfinished Bergpanthers, one of each manufacturer. Having exhausted my patience on track guides that nestle on the shallowest location guides, and then decide to pop off whilst fitting, I've decided 'D--- the expense, go metal' The Meng tracks are infinitely better then the Takom examples but pleeeeeeeeese, who needs that many location points?
Hi Steve. Funnily enough, it was the running gear that ended my build all those years ago. The rear sprockets broke off when I was fitting the tracks. I must have done something wrong but once they were broken I couldn't see a way back.
I really like the Bergpanther though and would like to build another once my skill level is up. The Takom one looks like it would be a great build.

This one will probably just be a wrecked test-bed for various paint techniques.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
weren't the car manufacturers still dipping car bodies up until the '60s/70s?

i can speak from Toyota and Nissan experience................both ED dip to provide a anti corrosion coating and a sort of primer ready for the colour coat which is sprayed (mostly by robots these days....fun to watch)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'd guess that the factories would 'dip' the vehicles as it's the quickest way to get paint on, which would leave a fairly thick coat of paint on them (and certainly not labour intensive) - weren't the car manufacturers still dipping car bodies up until the '60s/70s?
A bit more difficult with an armoured vehicle though!
Pete

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
A bit more difficult with an armoured vehicle though!
Pete
If the factory was running a production line with overhead gantries - not a problem to put a dip in the line and a bank of heat lamps just afterwards as driers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, but they are not a body which is then added to a chassis.......they are built around a hull box....if you dipped it you would dip the running gear as well......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, but they are not a body which is then added to a chassis.......they are built around a hull box....if you dipped it you would dip the running gear as well......
Takt 9 [the final assembly station] saw final painting in red oxide primer and the prescribed base coat, either Panzer Grey or later Dunkelgelb.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paint was applied by spray from what I can find, though expect that some castings may have been dipped. From 1943 German Armour was sprayed yellow, then painted either by hand or as some film shows camo sprayed in the field .
Russian armour was factory sprayed, winter wash like the Germans painted in the field.
Like Tim says I can't imagine dipping a massive hull.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Also consider this: towards the end of the war, German tanks used the red primer as one of the camouflage colours, rather than overpainting it completely with dark yellow and then adding red-brown over it. The only reason for doing this was paint shortage — at which point, having a swimming-pool-sized tub of paint for dipping tank hulls into, is somewhat unlikely :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Red oxide primer was pretty serious stuff back in the day. I remember an older brother painting a 53 Oldsmobile in red oxide with a brush, block sanding it smooth & Turtle waxing it. This was after taking all the chrome trim off & filling all the holes w/bondo. The car went through six road salt filled winters before being junked after a rollover. No rust was ever evident.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Red primer is part of German engineering standard practice - even today!