S model 1/72 3.7 cm PaK 36 Auf Renault UE build (Simon T tribute group build)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Moving swiftly along then.....this should be the last post on the figures for a while.

On to the shoulder boards....
9BAD3181-6D69-4535-9D0C-92D9A0FEB723.jpeg
As these are anti tank troops I’ve gone for copper brown as the piping colour. First thing to do then is paint the whole board in the chosen colour. I had previously outlined the board in a dark colour, but if I hadn’t then that would be the first job.
There are many painters that paint the interior colour of the board first then add thin lines for the piping. I also did this for many years, but found it difficult to control and almost impossible to successfully outline. The method I’m showing here works well at small scales.
788C9C0C-D2A6-44D0-AF25-6896B7861F50.jpeg
Next job, paint the interior of the board in a dark colour. I’ve used black grey here. This enables you to make the piping line thin enough without worrying about overpaint on the previous uniform paint.
4BC8C816-0C63-47AE-ADE6-B6F17646ED9B.jpeg
Last job is to paint the interior of the board in the dark green . Because of the previous dark interior you only have to tint the area.

These three stages mean that you are only ever painting straight lines and only trying to paint one straight edge. . Furthermore, because of the wet palette any over painting onto the uniforms can be corrected using mixes that are already there.

I have not painted the collar patches on these because they are too small. I would at 28mm, but not in smaller scales. If I did though, I would use a similar techniqu, cleaning any overpaint as I went.

This concludes the colour part of the painting. Next stages are varnish. I use gloss for protection and Matt for appearance, but I will not bother showing these in detail. I will gloss these and then ret to the vehicles for a while.

Lastly, a couple more points that may be of interest.
To mix Vallejo paint before use I have one of these:
C0CE4466-7FF3-4139-A1B9-0D34B7DB05F8.jpeg
I obtained this many years ago from a skip after a lab refurbishment at work. They can be bought on the net though, just look for vortex mixer or whirlymix. 30 seconds on that will mix paint thoroughly.

Brush cleaning is important, so here is a little more detail on my methods. I use this stuff:
354D700D-9E99-442D-8C64-1069081A9C4D.jpeg
It keeps brushes in excellent condition. You simply lather them up in the soap, rinse them well, repoint them, and replace the brush protector.
35138288-AC0C-42B6-B624-CFB22128F06D.jpeg
This brush is about a year old. It has been used for every stage of these figures. It’s not a great picture, but hopefully you can see how sharp the point remains.
it is one of these:
E33A9BEF-5133-4146-BB6D-E267D2BB75D8.jpeg
Not quite as good as Windsor an Newton series seven, but easily good enough for model painting.

23C33048-C10C-4198-8305-FD3FAE80409F.jpeg
This is how I store my good brushes....in the supplied bristle protector point downwards. This enables any residual moisture and paint traces to drain away from the ferrule. This minimises paint drying in the ferrule area and destroying the point. This, along with Masters soap, are almost entirely responsible for the longevity I get from my brushes.

Hope this is useful for you.
As always, any questions shout out.

Cheers
Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
what a brilliant step by step, Tim!
your figures look superb, it's hard to remember they are only 1/72 scale!
Many thanks Neil. I’m glad the SBS fulfilled its purpose, and also happy that you like the resultant figures.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just off to evil bay to look for one of those mixers Tim, already use those tip for painting shoulder boards you told me about before, and the brush cleaner.

Should pass the exam at some point.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice one John. Didn’t know plaster mixers went down that small.....
Used vortex mixers are not that dear though. Were you looking at new ones? They are industrial quality kit and at out level of use should last pretty much for ever!

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
1609100740170.png

Vortex Mixer, fixed Speed stirrer PERFECT FOR SMALL TUBE FINE PAINT MIXING INK
VM-100 comes with flexible soft rubber cup

Condition:
New
Price:
£69.99
Tim most were dearer than thee above.
Found a second hand one in the US , $200 !

Watch this item

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
Great update. So many useful tips.
Jim
Thanks Jim. Glad to help where I can. Of course, nothing is written in stone so take what you like the look of and ignore the rest!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
View attachment 408937

Vortex Mixer, fixed Speed stirrer PERFECT FOR SMALL TUBE FINE PAINT MIXING INK
VM-100 comes with flexible soft rubber cup

Condition:
New
Price:
£69.99
Tim most were dearer than thee above.
Found a second hand one in the US , $200 !

Hi John. I’ve found them used at around fifty in the past. It might seem a bit of a luxury, but I find mine indispensable. Of course, I’m biased because I was in the right place at the right time, and have used them extensively at work over the years.

Watch this item

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm with you on this Tim, think that the mixing of the paint to that degree is important. I watched this last night, you may well have seen it. Found it to be very interesting.

Also think that cleaning the bottle tops of crud is a thing that is neglected in the mixing of paint.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm with you on this Tim, think that the mixing of the paint to that degree is important. I watched this last night, you may well have seen it. Found it to be very interesting.

Also think that cleaning the bottle tops of crud is a thing that is neglected in the mixing of paint.
Good article John. I would still look for a used lab mixer though. They are around, but will be better quality than any of those he has shown. If you do get one by the way, hold the bottle upside down when you mix it. The lid is harder wearing than the polythene bottle and these devices do sometimes create friction......

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Tim, I'm going to keep looking.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
A bit more progress on the converted vehicle....
323CD05F-4DFE-441A-ABBE-E9982F64034D.jpeg
Track units. These were simply sprayed Tamiya OD, then drybrushed with a couple of lighter green shades. They were then given a wash of game colour black wash mixed with green wash. Tyres were painted in, then rust shades (lifecolour rust and dust set) added to the tracks. A little more work with pastels and pencils will be added once the vehicle is assembled.
BF73887A-4856-4DB7-8CBF-918FE01E42A7.jpeg
Here is the gun itself. Photo has washed it out the highlights a little, but again it’s just sprayed, drybrushed, and washed. Still not too happy with the tarp, but it will have to do now.
F5360555-DD15-4042-9A80-D150FFEDAEA6.jpeg
Rear view.....
B31A90C8-ED46-450A-8415-7326A01D94AC.jpeg
Gun carriage and figures. The eagle eyed might notice that the carriage is upside down :flushed:
803967E3-ED1E-4E44-8611-8568A26059CE.jpeg
0AE88D6A-F710-4124-A65F-B883526171D7.jpeg
Couple of shots of the base carrier. Usual vehicle techniques as described for the track units. Obviously more detail work here. A little more work after assembly, highlights added to gun and shovel for example.....
The driver is very basic so don’t look too closely.....I couldn’t get him in after assembly so had to paint him in situ....stopped me doing the interior white in the cupola as well.

Next job is assembly....until then, any questions please ask....
cheers all and happier new year......

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Loving this Tim, some great work , esp liking the wooden frame for the gun .:thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving this Tim, some great work , esp liking the wooden frame for the gun .:thumb2:
Thanks John. Coming from a chippy I’ll take that compliment, though I do think the heavy beam is a little too red......supposed to be a hardwood railway sleeper...l

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work as always Tim.

ATB.

Andrew