S model 1/72 3.7 cm PaK 36 Auf Renault UE build (Simon T tribute group build)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hey Tim, Mine too and a lot of others. I have the original St. Cleve Chronicle fold out album too and had a buy a newer copy of the album (without it), as I wore the original one out, playing it...Still got over 400 pieces of vinyl, many of which I want to eventually copy into MP3 as you can't even get some of them on CD, anywhere. Ever heard of Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys or The Electric Prunes???

I'll stop now as I could go on and on over music..................."Rock is My Life and This is My Song"

Prost
Allen
HI Allen. 1500 vinyl and 500 CDs here and still rising.....most of my purchases these days are classical though. It’s the only area where bargains can still be found!
To be honest, I wouldn't copy them to MP3. The quality is like a transistor radio. Copy them to whatever the current highest WAV quality is, then convert if you want them for iPod etc use. Computer storage is so cheap now the compression is not necessary. You can get hard disk recorders to connect to your hifi, or connect to a PC through a decent sound card. I’ve done quite a few over the years, so if there are any specific albums you want, ask me, because I might already have digitised my own copies.....
Ive heard of both of those bands by the way, but don’t have anything from them. I think Cat Mother was the one produced by Hendrix and the Prunes were a west coast psychedelic band. How about Blodwyn Pig and Home?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, back to the plot.......last but one on the figures......

Next job is the strap and equipment. There isn’t much on these guys so I will be mercifully brief....
7DB79316-8682-4291-993B-B9010BBE5680.jpeg
First job, as you can probably guess now, is to under paint in black. In this case I used a new secret weapon....
9159213E-3BCB-4AC8-9DEC-8572D4445605.jpeg
German belts are black brown, so I underpaint in black then highlight in black brown to get the effect. Model air black is fantastic for this detail work. It’s formulated to work right from the pot. It’s coverage is good and it flows nicely off the brush.
EBDEA6D1-F757-4CF4-8538-C33A239B7DAF.jpeg
While I’m doing this I outlined the shoulder tabs while I had paint on the brush...it’s for the next stage, but only took a few seconds.

384A62F0-A76C-46BE-A4C5-D6E34BC6E545.jpeg
Kit done on Neil Loader. The knife has its wooden handle and the scabbard in black. The blade will be painted after varnish to maintain the metallic effect. If you Matt varnish over metallics you just have greys....
Bread bag is done in deck tan shaded and highlighted as always.
716EC296-33AC-44C3-AB14-16088E01C5CF.jpeg
Front and back in one shot.....well, they are virtually the same figure.....you can see the belt highlights here, I use straight brown black, then tint it for edge highlights. I’ve done the boots on these two as well using exactly the same paints. Not my best work there, but who looks at boots ;)
Last tip today, yet another secret weapon....
87D881BD-B9D6-48C3-880C-5F0279BC7122.jpeg
Doesn’t look much does it. However, if you use Vallejo paint for long enough you’ll find the nozzles block sometimes. Don’t just squeeze harder, or you’ll blow the cap out of the end emptying the bottle. Just stick this little fellow in the hole, and then clean if off on a scrap of kitchen towel. It saved a lot of heartache and costs literally nothing...

Hope this is all informative. As always all C and C welcome, and I’ll answer any questions you have.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim.
So neat for something so small. Like those wash coats ? on the uniform.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim.
So neat for something so small. Like those wash coats ? on the uniform.
Thanks for the compliment John. The only wash coats were on the face. Everything else is paint....I do play with the mixes and dilutions a bit, but the palette shots should show by how much. I think the secret is using a damp brush so the paint fades in as you use it.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for the compliment John. The only wash coats were on the face. Everything else is paint....I do play with the mixes and dilutions a bit, but the palette shots should show by how much. I think the secret is using a damp brush so the paint fades in as you use it.
Tim, your welcome.
Since I have used a wet palette shading is much easier so agree.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm still a little mystified by the wet pallet, but can certainly see its value........when the time comes I will have to review this thread to reacquaint myself on how to build and use it properly. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm still a little mystified by the wet pallet, but can certainly see its value........when the time comes I will have to review this thread to reacquaint myself on how to build and use it properly. Rick H.
Hi Rick
I don’t always use it, but do find it indispensable for getting variations into small batches of figures. They are a tool used by real artists so there is plenty on the net about them. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there was a “how to” on YouTube either. They only work with acrylic paint of course.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Tim, I am a newbie to water based model paints......have always used Testor's Enamels.....I guess that's why I have never had a clogged A/B. LOL :smiling2: . I have tried using enamels to paint my "little" people in the past with varying degrees of success. I like your way of using thin layers to get the results I like so much, but this means I will have to invest in a lot of the acrylic components that I currently lack. You have done a great job of showing the SBS process you use and the various components that help to get those results. I am looking forward to my next trip to the Hobby Shop so I can stock up and get started. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great stuff Rick. I used to paint these chaps with enamels, so had to relearn when I came back to it about ten years ago. Bill Horan is one of my painting heroes, and he used basic humbrol enamels when I first came across him. The only real way to learn though is to get some figures and push paint about on them....

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Tim. Great job your doing. I like the paper clip idea I’ll have to try that

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Tim

I'm late getting to this one, but very nice. I built on of these in 1/35 and thought it was samll in that scale, in 1/72, minute!!!

have a great Christmas

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim

I'm late getting to this one, but very nice. I built on of these in 1/35 and thought it was samll in that scale, in 1/72, minute!!!

have a great Christmas

Peter
Thanks Peter. Glad you like it. Have a great one as well.