SAAF Mirage 3cz

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful finish on a beautiful aircraft Theuns! Great build matey , nice to see a Mirage in the 'classic' scheme , shows off the very clean lines of the early marks. 5 star build , cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Those french designers do have an eye for style I must say. After a few years we painted them in a tan and gren sceeme that was to "bright" for the Angolan bush so they were toned down to a grey, but then the nceness also goes away.

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Fantastic paint job on your Mirage Theuns. Top work as usual.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx mate, looking at you "bars" what do you fly? I only fly a Super cub for fun, not sharp enough to be a CPL :sad:

Theuns

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi Theuns, my current aircraft is the Metroliner, aka Texan Sewer, Mud Dart, Texan Death Tube, Garrets on a Stick, Screaming Weenie, the list goes on. Not a bad aeroplane, I did my ATPL in them and they are great once you get to know them. My favourite GA aeroplane is the Cessna 180, but I can't afford to fly privately at present. I think I have about 550 hours tail wheel time, mostly on the Cessna 180 with some in Harvard (T6), and a little in a Citabria. Never flown a Cub, but been in one. Something I would like to do one day, they look fun.

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx for the compliments.

I mate of myne was a SAAF Instructor on C-185's . He and the other instructor who flew Beech 18's both helped my with my tail convex, so I had good input !

I work on T-6 Harvards for another client , he has 6 and we a currently re-painting one in US NAVY dark blue.

The one some lads here might find interesting is painted in RAF desert sceeme :smiling:

As for the PA-18 it is a fun easy little aerie fo fly, very forgiving undercart, not like the 180 and 185's!

Theuns

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
A beautiful looking Mirage Theuns, the paintwork is exceptional. Also the base you've done sets it off just right.

Top job and 5 stars.

Tony.

First Name
Michael
Beautiful job Theuns, I love this aircraft and you have really done it proud. M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Fantastic job, most impressed. Did you apply the decals straight onto the Alclad or clear coat first ?

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi Colin. I have twice used Alclad pollished allu now, and on bothe ocations had NO clearcoats before or after decals, not even any setting sulotion.

It seems the alclad is smooth enough for it.

The only hassle is that if you handle the model allot the pollished allu rubs of a little, not difficult toutch up again, but a pain!

I wear cotton cloves to work on the model.

I understand that airframe allu is a little more resistant to rubbing off. I hope so as my Tam 1/32 Mustprang will use it.

I have been sent a stack of nice pix from the pilot who did training on this particular plane in France 1962 and it is interesting to get that history of a specific build :smiling:

Theuns