SABRE 1/35 6 Axle 80t German Railway Schwerer Plattformwagen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks all.

A top job so far Sir!!! Really, really looking good...

Uhhh Jack, I didn't know the Germans used these to transport giant hockey pucks though...

I'll get me coat..................

Prost
Allen

Allen I thought someone of you knowhow would recognise the 1945 attempt at electromagnetic, frictionless rail travel? It worked seamlessly. The only minor issue being with the 75 ton electromagnets installed, there was no room for a load. ;)

Think the building is pretty much there, had to take some pics quickly before I knock something off. I have been unbelievably clumsy with this build, only saving grace is the carpet monster is on holiday somewhere...and presumably quarantined for a couple of weeks.

I managed to confuse myself with the hand rail, and missed drilling the holes on the fender. It should build to be collapsable, but with no locating holes, it seemed easier to build off the wagon, and then glue in place. Ironically, workable would probably be more robust! I'm now making sure I socially distance myself from it. Looks ok though.
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG

And one to show the size:
IMG_2390.JPG

Strange side to the kit...No detailing to the underside, despite PE and the tank things. As you can see...no woodwork detailing, lots of injection marks and the a-frame bars on the brakes don't seem to be doing a lot or going anywhere. But won't be seen, so no drama.
IMG_2388.JPG

Another oddity was the requirement to drill this part: Far too small for my lack of skills, so just had to chop the pin and glue on. Shame it would have been a nice little detail.
IMG_2384.JPG

Will have a good check over, then time for paint. There are some tools to go on, but a decal needs to go underneath them first.

Thanks for the interest everyone.

First Name
Kevin
Jack this build is looking great. I like the brass etching, does this come with the kit. :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really nice now. Looking forward to paint and weathering. See what you mean about the A frames and under frame detail though. They should all be linked with cranks and rods, mechanically connected to the air cylinder, and probably protected with safety loops. But as you say, they aren’t visible from above so what the hey....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Allen I thought someone of you knowhow would recognise the 1945 attempt at electromagnetic, frictionless rail travel? It worked seamlessly. The only minor issue being with the 75 ton electromagnets installed, there was no room for a load. ;)

You got me with that Jack!!! Almost spit out my beer when I read it............

Great update and this came out great!!! I see your point about not handling it too much. Lots of goodies could go pinging off into worlds unknown. Can't wait to see it with a coat on her.........

Prost
Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Jack this build is looking great. I like the brass etching, does this come with the kit. :thumb2:

Thanks Kevin, yes 100% out of the box build. They also supply some wooden 'chocks' to go under the tank tracks, and some metal cable for securing vehicles.

Loving this build Jack :smiling3:.
By any chance were you born under a car?.
Ha ha thanks Ralph!

Looking really nice now. Looking forward to paint and weathering. See what you mean about the A frames and under frame detail though. They should all be linked with cranks and rods, mechanically connected to the air cylinder, and probably protected with safety loops. But as you say, they aren’t visible from above so what the hey....

I have seen a couple of builds elsewhere where the underside has been really nicely scratch built, including scribing the wood effect, but waaaay beyond me and the thing sits so low there doesn't seem any point.

You got me with that Jack!!! Almost spit out my beer when I read it............

Great update and this came out great!!! I see your point about not handling it too much. Lots of goodies could go pinging off into worlds unknown. Can't wait to see it with a coat on her.........

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen. Painting will be very interesting. Think it will be a gloves job and prepared to get plenty of paint on them! Running a sweepstake on how many parts I knock off in the process...£1 entry

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One to be proud of so far Jack :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Don't see many of these being built, excellent build so far, will look awesome
with a tank fastened down on it.

So it's painting by numbers next?? ;):smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

Paul.
:smiling2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking fwd to the next installment , looks a great build and very neat.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Couple of small tweaks here and there, but first layer of paint now down.

A3290CF5-1C35-4B67-8B1E-DBC8CBBC4001.jpeg
Supposed to be a German Grey finish, but I'm quite liking the black to be honest. I'll let this layer cure and then make the decision. Floor boards obviously to be wood effect.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jack, I'm for the black. I have several of these cars from different makers in 1/87 scale and they are all black with a wood deck. And may I just say, you have a great looking model there that is begging for a small diorama........hope I have swayed you over to the "Dark" side :thumb2:.
Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jack this is a very unusual build an its come up a treat great work

chris

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack, I'm for the black. I have several of these cars from different makers in 1/87 scale and they are all black with a wood deck. And may I just say, you have a great looking model there that is begging for a small diorama........hope I have swayed you over to the "Dark" side :thumb2:.
Rick H.
Thanks Rick...nice to have a second opinion. The more I look at it the more I like the idea. Painting/weathering the running gear is actually going to be quite tricky I think. The rest of it a bit easier.

Yeah on for a diorama, but possibly not all that small. :flushed:
HI Jack this is a very unusual build an its come up a treat great work

chris
Thanks Chris!!

First Name
Kevin
Jack a kit always looks nice once the wet stuff is put on. Look forward to seeing your next instalment.:thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Again Kevin.

Bit more wet stuff today as I stained the decking. Also did a dark grey oil wash across all the black, but not sure there is any difference to be honest. I think in scale, the extra matt black I used really looks the part anyway...just need to work out if that needs highlighting etc...not painted anything black before! Once properly dry I'll mask off and re-paint the anchor points.

IMG_2405.jpg

First Name
Kevin
Jack what a transformation, the decking boards look great. It brings the wagon to life. :thumb2:

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jack,

That chain on the left looks good, as for the boards - they really set it off, fantastic finish to them.
The boards on the right of the picture even look as if they have had something leaking on them.
:thumb2: :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

What colours/paints did you use?

Paul.
:smiling2: