SABRE 1/35 6 Axle 80t German Railway Schwerer Plattformwagen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you all. Very pleased with the decking.

The boards on the right of the picture even look as if they have had something leaking on them.
That is actually just the paint drying! But I will do some oil spills. I weathered the chains to use later, and was hoping while they were drying some of the 'rust' would imprint on the deck, but didn't work, so will manufacture something later.

What colours/paints did you use?
I did a base coat of various Vallejo brown shades, Black Brown through to Brown Sand, and then went over with a brown oil wash, varying how diluted the wash was.

Natural light shown it up slightly better:
IMG_2408.JPG

The dark grey wash also did a good job of adding some tones to the black, but doesn't really show in photos.

First Name
Kevin
Stunning model wagon Jack, looks great in the outdoor light.:thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Jack,

That is an excellent finish you've achieved Sir. Maybe an idea for the rust would be using a coating of rust pigments on the chain and laying it onto the wood where you want it. Then give the chain a good whack with a hammer gentle tapping with a paint brush handle to drop the pigments into place on the deck...

Prost
Allen

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow that last picture, sort of puts it in perspective how large this model actually is.
Amazing finish achieved on those boards. :thumb2: :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Have you started on the underside yet?

Paul.
:smiling2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks Kevin, Allen, Paul.

Yeah I think that will be the idea Allen, I thought the freshly fixed pigment might leave a stain, but nope!

Yeah pretty large Paul, I’ll pop a AFV on at some point to give some different perspective. Started the underside, but so little visible, I’m not sure I will put too much effort in. Here she is with some decals on, have just applied another layer of set/sol, but they went down really nicely.3872436D-CC09-4F3D-8114-38942192C087.jpeg

In the background, you can just see the smaller brother coming together. Oddly enough, it has a different track and wheel width (Slightly narrower), despite being same (model) manufacturer, so not entirely sure wha I will do about that one. I suspect due to the nature of the model as well, that was Sabre’s first attempt. It would be far to much to try and modify, even as I was building. Might just have to work to disguise The difference via the diorama, line up the ‘front’ etc, and obscuring the ‘back’.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Really is looking fantastic now, surprising what a few stickers can do ;)

Do the lengths of track for both kits have the same width between the tracks ??

Paul.
:smiling2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is an interesting dilema regarding the track/wheel gage. If you scale it out the standard gage would be 4' 8 1/2" to see which one is correct. As a historical note, The Russians used a broader gage track then the rest of Europe, so if the smaller of your models is the standard gage then you could use the larger for the eastern front , as the DRG was known to regage some of their rolling stock before the Germans decided to just lay a new rail to the outside of the existing line. Hope this makes sense. Rick H.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Here is a comparison of the track widths...it’s very subtle. More to do with the width of the single track, that the separation between the two by the look of it. I only noticed initially when placing the bogies on the fist set of track to keep them aligned. They didn’t sit on it well at all. It shouldn’t be noticeable when set in a diorama...may have to build the balast up quite high to disguse the lack of sleeper detail on this second lot of track. Or a platform maybe!

63C0AB02-3158-4342-995A-E11A2D025A6D.jpeg

Reactions: JR

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jack,
Do the bogies for the little brother fit onto larger brothers track?
The same as the larger wagon's bogies?

Paul.
:smiling5:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not enough of a difference to be noticeable at a distance ......from the photo it looks like the hat or top section of the rail is wider on the left hand section of track as opposed to the right hand view, or am I seeing something that isn't there?
Rick H.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
from the photo it looks like the hat or top section of the rail is wider on the left hand section of track as opposed to the right hand view

Rick,
That's what I could see - don't know about the height difference - that is not evident but looking at the right side track you could glue a thin strip of styrene to each rail on the top - inside - maybe 1 mm width
x 2 mm depth ?? :smiling2:

Paul.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think that would solve your problem.......after the glue sets you could re-contour the top of the rail to match the other and you're home free. :thumb2:
Rick H.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Jack,
Do the bogies for the little brother fit onto larger brothers track?
The same as the larger wagon's bogies?

Paul.
Only just. Any pressure and they slip inside
Not enough of a difference to be noticeable at a distance ......from the photo it looks like the hat or top section of the rail is wider on the left hand section of track as opposed to the right hand view, or am I seeing something that isn't there?
Rick H.
I think that is just the camera angle...This might be a better view:

The two on their respective tracks:
42AC2331-FBB9-4300-9932-0407A020EA66.jpeg

Smaller wagon on bigger wagon’s tracks:
CCB9B4E4-4C8B-49C3-8050-7C809F48316C.jpeg
See when it is lined up on the left, the right side wheels only just has a purchase. It shouldn’t be too much of an issue when we come to a diorama, will just Have to keep them on their respective track Lengths and cover the slight difference in the join.

• Love

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
the right side wheels only just has a purchase

Jack,

Maybe the other way around problem - is to adjust the width of the wheels slightly to compensate the shortfall if there's room on the under carriage!! Or is that too much hassle for something which as you say could be hidden in the "diorama" ?? ;):flushed:

Paul.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Quite simply stunning Jack. Very well done.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I would say the wheels on the wagon in the last picture need the wheel set back to back adjusting. They are obviously narrower than the other wagon, so need to be set out slightly to work to the gauge. Back to back is more important to a wheel set working correctly than the dimensions across the outside of the flanges.